What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sour Patch Kids or bust..

T

TreehouseJ

Everybody, please bear with me here. I have a pretty good feeling that the following statements and hypotheses are about to make my lack of common sense and general education abundantly clear. So.. Here goes..

My buddy loves sour patch kids. He asked me if I could infuse some with thc. I dont really have a good grasp of how or if this can be done. I pretended I did, and responsed..

"I would think its as easy as rinsing the sugar off with water, and evaporating to save the sugar for re-applying later, and adding your gummy onto a mechanical mixer/scientific hotplate for a few hours with your coco oil tincture. If you get it just hot enough to melt i don’t think it’ll change its properties too much"

Guilt sunk in as I realized I had no idea what I was talking about, so I decided to come here for confession and guidance.

EastCoast710

lol. u need to humble yourself at times and say no.. i have no clue. but. i can research it and get back to you lol..

This is the problem with people these days.. to afraid to not know something? lol. we all human.. our brains arent the internet YET.. lol just be honest with yourself and your friends bro..

u make gummy bears with bho.. and then get the same powdered citric acid or some shit..

http://www.autumnmakesanddoes.com/2...nd-classic-snacks-made-from-scratch-giveaway/

T

TreehouseJ

I did say "I would think". That response was copy pasted. I make my chocolates with bho. I dont know what the hell to call my bho after i decarb it in coconut oil, we reffer to it as "tincture" since .. well.. thats what me and him call it between each other. Anyone else I would say "I dont honestly know wtf tincture even is". We aren't trying to make gummy bears though. Sour Patch Kids or Bust. We want to infuse the Sour Patch Kids with bho, because Sour Patch Kids are the shiznit, and since we can't make them at home, we are faced with the obstacle of somehow melting/disolving the candy and mixing the bho in the gummy. Retaining the sugar on the outside was just a crackpot hypothesis. I'm pretty sure Sour Patch Kids puts crack in their sugar coating, and we want to retain that goodness if possible.

T

TreehouseJ

I didnt really pretend to know what I was talking about, I just threw out some seriously wild ideas that werent backed by any irrefutable knowledge or experience.

T

TreehouseJ

Could I... disolve the gummies in ethanol and vac purge in molds that left enough surface area exposed to pull the solvent out? I'm thinking heating the gummy would harden it.. No such thing as a stupid question, right?! :/

T

TreehouseJ

If anyone else was interested, it seems all of this could have been handled by a simple google search..

"The candies that you listed are held by gelatin. The average melting point of gelatin is 35*c or 95*f. There are some gelatins out there that hold up slightly better. They will most likely jell together in the heat then form and bond in a larger mass once cooled. This is kinda cool if you heated them up and placed them in a larger form container. Some even heat them and add a tad bit of booze to the mix."

Soo it looked like I had the right idea. To fully mix the bho you would heat the candy right above its melting point and/or add a bit of hooch that you could purge out to some extent after infusing your bho and preferably before placing in molds, unless the molds somehow increase exposed surface area. I'm guessing the cost of all those candy ingredients come out relatively priced to the real stuff if they aren't bought in bulk.

T

TreehouseJ

To anyone any candy makers out there, do you think heating to 125f for 6-12 hours would change its consistency much? I was thinking I could weigh the gummy material before I melt it, and then again after thoroughly mixing in the bho on a hot plate after who knows how many hours to see how if any moisture or.. whatever else had evaporated away. Forgive my lack of common sense again, but if the gummies were to lose weight in the process, what should I add back to keep the same consistency? Or would I just be better off with lower temps + ethanol coupled with a good vac purge?

rolandomota

I'm not sure how they do it but I saw on YouTube once how they were using a clear liquid with thc and all they did was put a couple of drops on some gummy candy. It looked very much like water. The gummy candy would absorb the liquid. It was a weed documentary not sure which one I think one about Colorados legal market.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Google "how to make sour patch kids cannabis". There are recipes and videos on the whole first page.

T

TreehouseJ

Google "how to make sour patch kids cannabis". There are recipes and videos on the whole first page.

Most of these are repeat recipes of how to make your own gummy treats, but another quick google browse and I did come to a thread where guy was also trying to infuse sour patch kids or bust. suspending bho to its maximum solubility in glycerine and then dosing each piece with a few drops is the easiest method of infusion. I am still going to experiment with melting/dissolving the candies as a little science experiment. Maybe.

big teej

Find a reciple with butter. Or a recipe that caalls for oil and substitute with butter (conversion rates on google).

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I would stick with a vegan gummy recipe and see about a organic alternative for the flavored sugars that make it sour and sweet this sounds like a killer idea if I find any recipe ideas I'll post

blastfrompast

Veteran
2 options and i willgive you the easy one.

Take decarb'd bho...mix with everclear....soak candy in everclear...put on trays to dry....alcohol will evap andyouwill have infused sour patch kids..

Or you could make them from scratch like i do.....but that is more of a trade secret lol..

Sour is IN....