What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long term storage outside the freezer

Superauto

We know freezing the seeds is the best way to long term store our precious seeds, but are there other ways as well?
I mean, the freezer isn't bullet proof.
What if you have a brownout for several days or you go to a holiday and your freezer break down?
Shit happens

So is there a second way to long term store some of the most important seeds, just in case?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I wouldn't loose sleep over it! Having survived black outs for extended periods (4-5 days) here during hurricane season, without any losses (if you keep your freezer shut (chest freezer)) your beans should be fine. Store them properly in a cardboard box (added insulation) along with silica gel packs and place in one of your baskets. You should be golden :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cold
Dark
Dry

The best method I've heard comes from Chimera.
He stores his stock in a lab refrigerator set at 4C. NOT FREEZING
I've not had to many issues just keeping my stock in the refrigerator as well.

When you freeze your seeds, every time they thaw & refreeze they lose some of their life force. They basically see a season come and go with each freeze/thaw cycle.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yes do not freeze seeds!!!

This is only recommended for "long term" storage of a relatively small % of plant seeds.. I have the most comprehensive seed storage compendiums right in front of me atm funnily enough..

4 celcius insider glass locking jars.. The most accurately made when I did my research were "les parfait" then put a load of silica packs in.. When I say accurate its how level the glass rim is on the top of the jar, this was found to make a huge difference to the viability of locking jars and the big seed banks and research institutes still use glass locking jars.

If you're really anal throw in a digi humidity meter so you can obsessively check all is well in dry, cold, dark seed world..

I'm still getting 100% germ on some 10+ year old beans and I kept em like this from day one because I knew I wouldn't get to a lot of them for a while....

Last edited:

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a little beer fridge that i bought at uni

had stuff over 10+ years germ fine.

could try vacuum packing them, or burying them. i know they don't last long at room temp. if its just a few days i wouldn't worry about it

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Just popped two seeds two weeks ago. They were made in 2010 and have been in my fridge the entire time, in a sealed pint jar. Super healthy seeds. :D

If you're wanting to freeze a few long term, I recommend drying them very well using rice or another low RH desiccant. Heat the rice at 150-170F for a day, and then seal up the seeds with the rice for a week. Silica packs will not do the job properly.

Once dried, package and label explicitly with as much detail as possible and then store in a thermos before putting them in the freezer. The thermos will act as a thermal barrier during short accidental defrosts and minor temp fluctuations. :)