What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis and Silver Thiosulfate Solution: What Growers First Brought Us the Info?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
This. Countrymon took the study referenced above and developed the technique over a year or so in 2002, using various concentrations on many different cultivars to arrive at the final ratios. Hybe also worked to narrow down the final concentration.

Chimera definitely remembers this. He and somebody called eXe endlessly badgered them about the 'dangers of using silver nitrate' and the irresponsibility of posting such a technique. Remember that, Chimera?

This was because at the time eXe was selling a little bottle of STS (or something like it) for like 100 dollars a pop, and medical patients with plant number limitations couldn't afford that. In light of that Countrymon wrote up a detailed guide and set it loose on the internet as public domain information.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2438344#post2438344

I think you're confusing me with Vic High. Vic had a problem with people being made dependent on a 'drug' to make seeds, and thought the Y-chromosome would disappear. Vic could be a little alarmist.

I remember being concerned with people handling an oxidizer without care. I certainly don't remember "endlessly badgering" anybody.

Everybody has their own memory though... certainly a few historical revisions in this thread . Whatever makes you feel important I guess.

It's too bad OG is gone, a lot of these things were documented clearly - who did what, when, etc.

First person to actually post the paper was a user named Baudelaire, if memory serves.

Last edited:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Apparently Matt Riot still sells a reversal spray. Billed as "not using regular silver nitrate," and is sprayed every day. I'm guessing it contains gib?

I'll keep looking. :D

I have his and another reputable grower's contribution of selfing cannabis plants he posted it a few years ago but his method was kept obscured until he passed it on giving people an opportunity to make it from scratch or you can go the easy route and purchase his solution Matt riot is the reason I have transcended my canna knowledge and I'm humbled this thread is definitely interesting

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Definitely interesting, and a lot more to the back story than I knew. I was on CW and OG, but man 'o man, I was not into breeding at the time. Sure wish I'd kept copies of these discussions from back then. :D

Anyone have a link to Matt Riot's formula he posted?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
'The Jungle' is a Cannabisworld forum, the equivalent of OG's infamous Sharktank.

It's a very good read if you like dirt!;):tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Meh, I like useful and positive information, not dirt. lol I'll comb through it though, much appreciated for the mention. :)
Edit: Ugh. Not interested in wading through that mud. LOL

Here's the oldest link I can find on the forums and it's the Clark info I've used as well.
https://www.420magazine.com/communi...-sex-using-silver-thiosulfate-solution.72106/

Nothing on CW for silver thiosulfate, zero mentions using google to search the site.

frostqueen

Countrymon and Fet (and now many others)just copy and pasted the 1983 article and the preparation of STS all over cannabis-friendly boards. They generally do not acknowledge hyb's/eXe's groundbreaking discovery and/or product introduction, as this would properly place their contribution as a mere cut and paste of someone else's work.

:laughing:No matter what handle hybe postes under, he always ends with his signature "havagoodone":tiphat:

Yeah. That's total bullshit, of course. eXe was a complete prick during that whole time, and was pissed off that Country mon wanted to help medical growers keep their plant numbers down by creating their own femmed seeds... instead of paying $10 each for them, or paying $100 for eXe's product, which cost him about 30 cents to make. eXe was just a price-gouging asshole.

Countrymon ended up doing his research and writing up the guide himself after he and Fet did a bunch of trials. What Country wrote was nothing whatsoever like the '83 reference; that was just used to discover what chemicals were used for the reversal. You can go find the '83 report and verify this; it specifically related to reversal in hemp plants and doesn't even tell you how to make STS. The 'cut-and-paste' comment just shows how full of it eXe is or was.

The final instructions and recipe that Countrymon posted are available all over the internet now, just as he intended. He doesn't give a single fuck if he 'gets credit' because that was never his intention. He just wanted to make femming easier for medical users with plant number limitations rather than steal their money.

frostqueen

I think you're confusing me with Vic High. Vic had a problem with people being made dependent on a 'drug' to make seeds, and thought the Y-chromosome would disappear. Vic could be a little alarmist.

I remember being concerned with people handling an oxidizer without care. I certainly don't remember "endlessly badgering" anybody.

Everybody has their own memory though... certainly a few historical revisions in this thread . Whatever makes you feel important I guess.

It's too bad OG is gone, a lot of these things were documented clearly - who did what, when, etc.

First person to actually post the paper was a user named Baudelaire, if memory serves.

Fair enough. I remember eXe being the most vicious about the 'dangers of STS'. But then, he was marketing a product that did the same thing.

Personally I think the '83 paper is where the credit lies. But 'credit' isn't as important as people believe in this case. Countrymon never gave a crap about getting any credit.

GrowingHigher

Does anybody know what is actually in the sprays that Riot and exe sell nowadays? They claim some special formula that nobody else knows about and is apparently magic. When I asked on Instagram what was in it Riot's account ignored me. Hybe said it was unicorn pee, claimed he was responsible for all feminization knowledge then blocked me. I learned a technique using straight silver nitrate from an agriculturally mainstream vegetable breeder who certainly never learned that technique from any Cannabis forum. Fuck hybe 🤷‍♂️.

Below are the potential chemicals that may elicit sex reversal in XX-female Cannabis

ethylene receptor blockers:

-silver ions (silver nitrate, silver thiosulfate, colloidal silver)

-Cobalt ions

-1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP) (volatile gas)

-N,N-dipropyl(1-cyclopropenylmethyl)amine (DPCA) (non-volitile salt. Can be applied as a spray)

Ethylene biosynthesis inhibitors:

- 2-aminoethoxyvinyl glycine (AVG)

-pyrazinamide and derivitives

not an ethylene blocker, but can potentially reverse sex in various plant species:

-giberellins

If anyone knows any alternate protocols with these or any other ethylene blockers, please share. I am here to share knowledge. Not make $3000/gallon selling some secret unlabeled formula for people to spray without even knowing what chemicals they are handling, like some people in the 'community.'

I usually use silver nitrate at 300-500ppm sprayed once at flip or at ~3weeks from emergence for autos. One or two+ more sprays may be used at ~2 week intervals for long flowering or resistant to reverse varieties.

Last edited: