What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil recipe help

Packer420

Will copy a soil recipe i found here but couldnt access the bone and blood meal.

Would this work;

23.5 gals potting mix local
9 kg EWC/vermicast
2 kg perlite
3 cups dolomite lime
2 cups kelp meal
1 cup epsom salt
1 cup bat guano ( says 10-3-0 i think )

Thinking off adding humus as well 4 tsp?

Shipping here for bone and blood meal would be sooo expensive like 4x the product bought so would settle for this if i can get away..

👍🏽??

Granger2

Veteran
Leave out the Epsom since it is instantly soluble. Apply as needed thru life cycle. Good luck. -granger

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Looks good man. I tend to make two mixes personally,, I veg for 3-6 weeks in a slightly higher blood meal mix, relatively, then pot up into a slightly higher bone meal mix but still with plenty of blood/kelp meal in still and give them a week to adjust before flower.

Packer420

Thanks much guys. Really helpful words from your xperience means a lot for noobs like me. So leaving bone meal and blood meal is okay? I really dont think i can regularly get them fron here without spending a lot.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Will copy a soil recipe i found here but couldnt access the bone and blood meal.

Would this work;

23.5 gals potting mix local
9 kg EWC/vermicast
2 kg perlite
3 cups dolomite lime
2 cups kelp meal
1 cup epsom salt
1 cup bat guano ( says 10-3-0 i think )

Thinking off adding humus as well 4 tsp?

Shipping here for bone and blood meal would be sooo expensive like 4x the product bought so would settle for this if i can get away..

👍🏽??

If that is a commercial potting mix it ought to be close to PH neutral already and may already have calcium/magnesium. 3 cups of dolomite lime seems to be quite excessive, even if it were Peat Moss which is acidic I wouldn't use that much for your base quantity.

Also 2kg of perlite could be an enormous amount, I try to stick to using the same type of measurements for all amendments. So I would use about a third of your 23.5 gallons base, 8 gallons perlite.

Maybe you can source fishbone meal and or crab/crustacean meal in place of the bone meal? You could also use alfalfa meal in place of the blood meal if it's easier to source.

By all means add the humus.

I agree with what's been said above but would also like to say Neptune's harvest fish +seaweed is really great during veg. And also look into sulfur of potash or langbeinite for flower if you have access.

Packer420

I see. Thanks again. Ive searched and I dont think I can also score some alfalfa, crab and fishbone meal not unless I have them shipped out. Would decrease the dolomite to 2 cups you think? and add more perlite hehehe.

Packer420

I followed how he measure his recipe with the amount of base I have but yeah id go with less is better always. He also advised to let the EWC sit 1-2 moisten before use. Let me try to find that recipe here. But I really need to find a local substitute for his bone and blood meal since that is the recipe.

Thanks for always helping out!

Packer420

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Revised Recipe, after several failures due to bad manure sources, I now use the following recipe. Results have been excellent and the clones seem to take off right away instead of having a slow growing settling in period:
1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source 3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
4 cups kelp meal.
9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.
[/FONT]

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Revised Recipe, after several failures due to bad manure sources, I now use the following recipe. Results have been excellent and the clones seem to take off right away instead of having a slow growing settling in period:
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source 3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
4 cups kelp meal.

Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.
[/FONT]
Corrected that for you :)

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Man i'm sorry I missed that you didn't actually have bone and blood meal in your list.. Your revised recipe looks right though.

You won't need to add the epsom salts in the mix as they are instant soluble in water and not a slow release source, and will wash out. The dolomite has Mg in and you can always add extra Mg as epsom salts when you see a deficiency, but you shouldn't need to.

It might dry out every 4-5 days and need another sprinkle of water to keep the microbe life ticking over.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm gonna make this real simple....after 25yrs growing this is short and simple.
Indoors
Ocean Forest soil (fox farm) yea it's expensive but after you buy all the other shit to mix it's gonna work.

70% Ocean Forest
30% perlite
Add
1-2tbs per gal dolomite lime
Add
Some earthworm castings a few cups or so. I usually add 1-2lb per 5 gal of soil(yes ocean Forest has castings but I add extra).

Plant Success/Mykos/ some type mycorrhiza per suggested

That's a great indoor soil mix I guarantee will grow you some fine plants. You can add some other amendments if you want be I have pretty good luck doing this. I do mix in some greensand when I can find.

Some guys say the Ocean Forest is a bit hot for young plants(I've never had a problem) but you can mix it half strength to start. Just get a regular soil and mix it half to start with

I've used all these soil mixes over the yrs and yes they work. But for ease and top results it's just the way I go....especially indoors. Outdoors is a different story but there's not much difference. I sub the OF with regular soil....maybe add a lot more castings and cow manure. Still add your mycorrhiza, dolomite, but a lil diamiamoutous earth, I don't add as much perlite or vermiculite. It's really preference how you want your soil to drain.

It's pretty simple...if you ask 10 growers a soil recipe you'll get 10 different answers. Most guys get a soil recipe and add there own things into it or subtract things. Some areas it's hard to find certain things. But find a soil recipe that you know how to feed and care for. It may take a few yrs to dial it in but stick with it. The indoor recipe I gave will start you on a great path !!!

Packer420

Thanks for the time and priceless tips from your years of experience guys.

I believe this is Vic's method i was trying to copy. Below is what he wrote down as HIS revised recipe.

Vic's Method

4 cups kelp meal.

Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use "

And from the above what i can gather locally would be below:

80 kg potting mix
9 kg vermicast
2 kg perlite ( would add more )
2 cups dolomite ( decreased as advised )
2 cups kelp meal ( can i add more? )
1 cup bat guano local ( 10-3-1 )
4 tsp humus

Would remove the epsom salt as advised and would just add if truly needed. For ffof i dont think i can acess one here without getting charged a million for shipping the same goes with bone and blood meal.

:tiphat:

Packer420

The reason i said i followed his recipe was his calculations for each amendment and base and then gather what i can locally.

������������

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fox Farm UK alternative?

Fox Farm UK alternative?

Hi,
Anyone used this cutting & seed compost as a UK alternative to Fox Farm's Ocean?

https://www.bulrush.co.uk/

Most UK growers recommend B&Q's seed & cutting compost but I liked the look of this one;

Regards,
Iffy :tiphat:

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
The link is missing a www. mate

I've not used that brand and the page is pretty vague, it's probably as good as the bnq soil..

I've actually always mixed fancy ganja soil (usually canna terra) with amendments.. I like that it's sterile and really consistent bag to bag and that the drainage is good enough to not really need perlite..

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I mix up a hillbilly Fox Farm OF. Use regular just organics soil from Walmart and mix American Pride and Marine Cuisine lol. It's basically the soil recipe I gave.

I'm just saying for any beginners be careful with these soil recipes that have a lot of things to mix up. It can be VERY easy to mess up. Stick with something simple at first. Like I said try the soil recipe on 1-2 plants at first to make sure it's right. I've tried a lot of soil recipes and like most of them....but I found one I know how to feed and grow nice plants in. That's what it's about guys, don't complicate things to much a soil mix that's not right is gonna give you major trouble.

Packer420

Another always in time reminders for noobs who want to at times would complicate things. Let me go ahead with what ive got sticking to the base potting mix ewc and perlite then use my few amendments and enjoy the grow.

������

Packer420

I know we say we dont need to ph when watering/feeding with super soil organic and whats important is the soils' PH by itself.

So what PH would be ideal for the soil? So it won't hurt to water/feed with that ideal PH for supersoils right?

I was giving 5.8 as i thought i was still dealing with a soiless/hydro not PHing for soil/organic soil/supersoil grow.

WTF. But they still look just fine.
:)

Thanks a lot masters!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've been asking what guys are ph/ ing there nute solution/mix for outdoors....and just getting silence. I know if you use dolomite it supposed to buffer or what not. But if my nute mix is 7.8 or 4.8 I'm gonna adjust it before feeding....just my way I've believed in for 20-25yrs. Maybe it's not right but the results have told me different.

But I've been adjust my nute mix to around 6.0 for outdoor. That's a somewhat common soil mix I'm using. I've seen/heard guys adjusting nutes- solution down to 5.5. I'd love to know does anybody adjust the ph of there nutes outdoors and what's the number????

Latest posts

Latest posts