What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why can't I give reputation anymore?

White Beard

Yeah, some things just ARE double-plus good...:tiphat:

More specifically, I was wondering if they each had their own pool, or drew from the same one
Also, if they two pools are the same size, how many in each pool, do you get more as your “status” changes?

“Forum Rep for Dummies,” IOW...

Last edited:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I don't know the daily rep-limit. But I think admin and mods can dole out as much as they want. So if u want no limit rep, be one of those admin/mod guys.

Rep and helpful voting thing are similar, yes, only rep gives the user more points than up-voting does. And you can leave a message to the user you're repping with actual rep, with up-vote you can't..

This is just me thinking, but the way I see it is that the "helpful post" is meant for posts that are indeed helping a guy out. Like if a dude posts something like "Can you help me out? Sat down on my computer chair today and immediately felt this sharp stinging pain in my butt, now it's also bleeding a little.." And someone replies with "Check your butt cheek for thumbtacks?" So if thumbtacks are to blame, that's a helpful post, up-vote that one. I don't see it being a reputation thing tho, like someone who posts fine ass pictures of some awesome buds would be. Rep that guy, but I don't see how someone posting pictures of their buds is helpful.. Makes sense? I dono :) The real meaning is lost in time already, and the up-vote thing is like a lazy man's way of spreading reputation. I mean, it's one click. Actual rep takes at least two or three clicks, and man.. That's just too much time spent repping a guy.

So why isn't there a down-vote button? Used to be there was, but the down-votes for some reason were anonymous. Some people just went around clicking down on every post they saw and people got annoyed by that, so it was removed. I would have kept the down-vote button, just make it so that people could see who was giving em thumbs down. But it's the internet, and we can't have nice things cause some people are dicks. Maybe things are better now that it's removed tho, and it was done in the aftermath of the Great Rep War of 2013. As one of the few survivors I can tell you it wasn't a pretty sight to see. Brother against brother and thing.

War.. War never changes.

:tiphat:

White Beard

I don't know the daily rep-limit. But I think admin and mods can dole out as much as they want. So if u want no limit rep, be one of those admin/mod guys.

Rep and helpful voting thing are similar, yes, only rep gives the user more points than up-voting does. And you can leave a message to the user you're repping with actual rep, with up-vote you can't..

This is just me thinking, but the way I see it is that the "helpful post" is meant for posts that are indeed helping a guy out. Like if a dude posts something like "Can you help me out? Sat down on my computer chair today and immediately felt this sharp stinging pain in my butt, now it's also bleeding a little.." And someone replies with "Check your butt cheek for thumbtacks?" So if thumbtacks are to blame, that's a helpful post, up-vote that one. I don't see it being a reputation thing tho, like someone who posts fine ass pictures of some awesome buds would be. Rep that guy, but I don't see how someone posting pictures of their buds is helpful.. Makes sense? I dono :) The real meaning is lost in time already, and the up-vote thing is like a lazy man's way of spreading reputation. I mean, it's one click. Actual rep takes at least two or three clicks, and man.. That's just too much time spent repping a guy.

So why isn't there a down-vote button? Used to be there was, but the down-votes for some reason were anonymous. Some people just went around clicking down on every post they saw and people got annoyed by that, so it was removed. I would have kept the down-vote button, just make it so that people could see who was giving em thumbs down. But it's the internet, and we can't have nice things cause some people are dicks. Maybe things are better now that it's removed tho, and it was done in the aftermath of the Great Rep War of 2013. As one of the few survivors I can tell you it wasn't a pretty sight to see. Brother against brother and thing.

War.. War never changes.

Informative, and with extra chuckles - thanks!

Not really trying to climb a greased pole, just curious...missed the rep wars, and glad of it. It’s the kind of geek I am that makes me wonder about stuff like this, ever since FIDOnet

Gry

The thread brings to mind an old Carol King song.

AM radio was a terribly fierce thing.

White Beard

Now I have ‘Tapestry’ in my head, one verse over and over, and I KNOW that was never on AM radio...put me out of my misery, man - *which* song???

buzzmobile

Veteran
Thank you for helping me stop the pain and bleeding from my butt cheeks. I checked for thumb tacks, but it turned out to be push pins... a lot more than I realized.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pins.jpeg
    pins.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 18

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Thank you for helping me stop the pain and bleeding from my butt cheeks. I checked for thumb tacks, but it turned out to be push pins... a lot more than I realized.

View Image

Don't mention it, m8 :tiphat: And hey, better push pins than thumbtacks.. The handle makes em easier to remove, extra grip is always a bonus compared to thumbtacks.

Might wanna check if the pins are rusty tho. If so, make sure your tetanus vaccine is up to date. If it ain't, get two just to be safe and call me in the morning!

Latest posts

Latest posts