What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
PART TWO OF POST PREVIOUS POST IS ON THE LAST PAGE.

The third grade was a streak that was all around the oustside that was very clear. If i can figure out how to get more of this I will be very happy

now the weight off the first run

like I said earlier the stuff i set aside still seemed very gooey and i thought what the hell I will run it again at a higher temp. i turned the iron up to 420 this time and pulled some very sticky out.

The seconed run i pulled this

so with both the first and the seconed run my return on the keif was 68% .

And lastly i had to make sure they booth bubbled up.(sorry about the crappy pic it was hard to get a pic)

they booth bubbled up real nice. cant wait until tonight to give them a good smoke test will report later how they did.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I took a bit of kief and put it in a piece of screen like 220 mesh, the hottest my little iron would get was 289* and pressed like hell...Well it has piqued my interest, i am going to try a bigger piece of screen. I dont hink the kief i am using will press on it's own...

Attachments

• DSCN1110.jpg
    DSCN1110.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 33
  • attachment blue blazer
    attachment blue blazer
    109.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
On these sublimation heat presses, do they only heat from the top side? If that's so, it should make a tremendous difference if also heated from below, or would that just get to hot.

the instructions i saw to get heat on both sides, is first you scrape off the bottom coating, then its steel on the bottom i think. then you leave it closed before using for a bit, that way the heat transfers to the bottom first before pressing, and both sides are hot.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
How we can we adapt this method for trim? Or varieties that arent putting out much?

Im thinking machine pressed pucks of trim or bud to get a higher density in a smaller area. Then press these pucks under high pressure and with heat. Dont forget, heat is a byproduct of pressure, so dialing in the settings properly would be crucial. Machine pressing everything into dense pucks may help reduce some of the contaminant issue as well.

Im going to get a hash press or the like, and see if i can do it on a small scale first.

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Went back and did a little more work with this. I have lots of small popcorn buds from some outdoor Brotherhood OG. Treid to get some close ups the best I could. Still have some contaminants but smashing buds I doubt you can ever get it 100% clean.

Humpi

How do you deal with only one side of the shirt press being heated?

Just do a flip, once you pressed one side?

Roji, Did you take out the foam piece between the two plates? Just picked mine up a couple hours ago. Gonna put it to use right now

Roji

Yes, remove the foam. You preheat the bottom plate with the top plate before the squish. It takes a few 20 second presses to warm up both top and bottom.

Sunfire

Veteran
If you can do it with kief, you can most likely do it with trim. I think that's a great idea to pre-press trim pucks.

I think 68% on kief is a great return. You want a pure product so obviously you can only get so much out of your beginning material, leaving the "contaminents" behind.

If it seems to hard to puck up trim, just dry ice kief it. Used to do that to save on the butane bill all the time back in the day doing open blasting. Might be more efficient that way too. You can rig up a blue 20 gallon bubble bag (i forget what micron they are, 240, 260?) To a sawz-all (reciprocating blade saw) hanging from a little frame, all standing over a large tote. Place di and trim in bag and use a string or re-useable zip tie to set the speed you want the bag to shake up and down at. You could can easily make 20 lbs of kief a day like this.

RulaTone

Veteran
Still have some contaminants but smashing buds I doubt you can ever get it 100% clean.

really nice outcome Guyute!
on that last bit i would suggest a nylon screen (i have in mind those sold with bubblebags) that should contain the contaminants while letting oils be pushed out, its non sticky so it should be easy to separate.
just my two cents never tried it.

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was just messing around a bit again and decided to roll the popcorn buds in the Keif. It worked way better getting the contaminants out and doubled the amount of rosin I was getting just smashing the buds.

I'm going to take the advice of pressing the keif first. Also going to take the advice of pressing trim pucks too.

I'll have to order some screen I only have one size of silk screen. Not sure what it is though says 43/110.80

JointOperation

noticed its like a sponge.. without the correct amount of pressure.. and heat.. your not going to get the yields you would expect lol.. .. the thing I don't like is.. ive noticed.. bho from a strain.. tastes way better then rosin to me atleast.. there is more flavor.. at a few diff temps..

Definitely agree about the taste. I've been playing around with 5 or so different strains at the lowest temp my iron can go (310°). None of the results have come close to the flavor of top shelf BHO. Today I made the tastiest rosin I've had from some tangerine kush, but even compared to vaping the flower, the flavor is very muted. It just doesn't fill your mouth with terpenes the same way a dab or vape hit does. I wonder if lower heat might be the trick.

UjMjOSFs.jpg

Tang kush rosin

Tfnlf3I.jpg

Source material

NVxXUKv.jpg

Oh CheeseFudge (shattery, but no taste)

Gave this a try today. My first attempt. first off I started with wax paper it only took me one try to relise that wax paper is a no no. parchment paper is what you need.

After that things went smooth.

First off i started with making keif out of some trim from a mix of indoor plants.

starting material

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59943&pictureid=1406576&]View Image[/url]

and the Keif
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59943&pictureid=1406577&]View Image[/url]

I then weighed it up ( it was 2.5 before I snaped the pic so for easier math Im saying I started with 2.5 not 2.4)
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59943&pictureid=1406578&]View Image[/url]

set flat iron to 340 and stated pressing with both my hands as hard as i could. and ended up with this
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59943&pictureid=1406579&]View Image[/url]

not easy to tell from the pic but there was 3 distinct quality's i could see. the center had the dark dryer material that got tossed to the side. (it did have a lot of gooey texture to it, also I could visually see a bunch of the honey like material covering over the top so i decided to do a seconed run with it later.)

the seconed quality was very gooey and a nice golden color where it was thiker it looked a little like honeycombs. Made this
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59943&pictureid=1406580&]View Image[/url]

Wow that's great! Question, what do you use to get all that kief from the trim? That seemed like a pretty good return!

theother

So far I like this tek, have played around a little bit with it since yesterday. The potency is outstanding, the flavor not so much. Definitely has less plant wax in it then most BHO which is nice.