What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Roji

Roji - I'm a shirt press noob. What the deal with the bit in the middle of the one you just linked?

Hashmasta - idk above the tube idea. You would need to get heat all the way through it, and then I feel like oil would gather on the sides of the tube? Maybe not a bad thing? line a 4x36 spool with 25 micron bag material, fill with your flowers, and heat the whole tube and press the shit out of it? Still I think the shirt press sounds faster and easier. My point is there's going to be a breaking point as to how thick you can do your presses for the material in the middle won't get enough heat.

Holy cow on the test results roji! All those terps and it's still shatter like? I've heard once you approach 10% terpenes with bho you will never have a stable product? This is getting fun! Keep working. I wasn't joking about grant money. Once you get this dialed down I'll come buy the first custom machine you make and drop you some extra for R&D. I want to to see yield and production of this technique rival cls!

The triclamp endcap you see on my press is for maximizing application pressure. By reducing the footprint of the bottom plate it allows a huge amount of pressure to be applied to a small area as opposed to it pressing on the 15x15 plate. I use this 1.5" as well as a 6" end cap. It makes a difference.

JColtrane

So I was impressed by the 25 ui screen idea on Hash Church yesterday. Gonna play around with lower quality sieve ... I think that's where you might see the 20%+ yields

hawper

Just did a recent run of some low quality trim (old, fan leaves, etc) into BHO. It came out decent, but you can tell there's waxes/impurities in there. Would I be able to press this into rosin? Maybe at a lower temp than using kief/buds, as the good rosin will seperate quickly from BHO?

Basically using the rosin tek to clean up lower quality errls. Hmmm.... I'll have to start experimenting.

agreed jcoltrane, i tried using some of a friends lower quality hash but i wasnt able to get any oil to seperate from it, it just kinda cooked :( but worked fine for the flowers

does anyone else notice that their still has to be a minimal quality to allow separation? i tried with his very very low grade flowers that he grows, and the same thing happened. no separation... but with my high quality, it works fine into a beautiful bright gold color

Hawper, im not sure how well it will work with BHO. im sure itll work to a degree, but this is a solventless tek, not a tek to clean up solvents or debri in your solvent extracts

Roji

Im pretty sure any machine we want to use is going to have to be able to produce some very serious pressures along with having highly controllable heated surfaces.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure any machine we want to use is going to have to be able to produce some very serious pressures along with having highly controllable heated surfaces.

When I first read of this tech, the industrial press Vincent Price squashed The Fly's head with came to mind...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i saw a youtube vid of a guy comparing heat presses and saying cheap ones have less/ less evenly distributed elements in them, and he used his laser heat sensor or whatever those are to show the differences in evenness of temperature on his expensive one compared to a cheaper one. was a large difference he said, the middle only having the right temperature on the cheaper rig i think.

hawper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiAQ-Xcc-sA

$23,000, but has dual auto panels and big surface area. Large ptfe sheet on base, 25 micron screen, even thin layer of chopped dank bud, press... Loading other side while pressing, then clearing matieral off/removing screen, and collecting from ptfe sheet.

Says 120 psi operating pressure, not sure exactly how much force that translates into. Although the thought about getting much higer pressure (and thus allowing lower temps) seem worth looking into. More experimentation on a smaller scale to dial in pressure/heat/time ratios and best ways of loading/holding materials (25 micron screen) and material variables (dryness, whole buds or broken down or slight grind?).

Although the Stalhs auto opening one looks solid for these smaller batches, at $1,500 for the 16"x20".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAnHAGmV9po
Digital pressure readout, easy adjustment...

hawper

Actually this one looks pretty legit as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvq6IS8EP3w
MAXI•PRESS AIR
Features

Available in Single shuttle (standard) or Dual loading table format (optional)
SuperCoil-Microwinding™ heater technology
Ultra thick heater block assembly
Solid steel pressure bars
Heavy steel frame structures
20,000 lbs force, 10-ton air bag lift mechanism
Self leveling pressure system
Solid lower platen base
Solid loading bed with ultra thick nomex padding
Dual button easy-activate safety circuit
Heavy duty locking casters for easy movability and solid foundation support
Automatic press, release, temp & timer controls
Full one year warranty on heating element, controls and entire press
208/220/240 Volt, Single Phase for 32x42, & 44x64 (3ph optional) - (compressor req)

Mainly because of the 20,000lbs pressure rating. That should be some decent force...
Check this brochure pdf;
http://www.heatpress.net/pdf/maxiair.pdf

On these sublimation heat presses, do they only heat from the top side? If that's so, it should make a tremendous difference if also heated from below, or would that just get to hot.

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gave this a try today. My first attempt. first off I started with wax paper it only took me one try to relise that wax paper is a no no. parchment paper is what you need.

After that things went smooth.

First off i started with making keif out of some trim from a mix of indoor plants.

starting material

and the Keif

I then weighed it up ( it was 2.5 before I snaped the pic so for easier math Im saying I started with 2.5 not 2.4)

set flat iron to 340 and stated pressing with both my hands as hard as i could. and ended up with this

not easy to tell from the pic but there was 3 distinct quality's i could see. the center had the dark dryer material that got tossed to the side. (it did have a lot of gooey texture to it, also I could visually see a bunch of the honey like material covering over the top so i decided to do a seconed run with it later.)

the seconed quality was very gooey and a nice golden color where it was thiker it looked a little like honeycombs. Made this