What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

blastfrompast

Veteran
Hashmasta:

Yeah...nice to smoke the flowers, but the oil was pretty strong flavored and not enjoyable....the rosin tho...blah...

Normally tho when I make oil, I cook the crap outta it as I was always leary about residual butane, and other solvents..losing most of the flavor.

Jurred

Pressed some 45u Tora Bora half melt and some cooking grade garbage. Got .3 from a gram of the cooking grade and a tad over .3 from less than .7 of the Tora Bora.

Cooking grade:
9tkpZP2.jpg

SXV1r0t.jpg

WPIhJcT.jpg

Tora Bora 45u
9tkpZP2.jpg

4d9mcCy.jpg

Jurred

That first press of the Tora Bora was the wrong pic and I can't edit my post so here was the correct pic:

V34ZApl.jpg

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
So what kind of paper are we using? Where do we get it?

Does it just peel off of the paper or is there a technique for that, like freezing?

So what kind of paper are we using? Where do we get it?

Does it just peel off of the paper or is there a technique for that, like freezing?

the best parchment you can find. shitty ones will absorb the oil i found... i use whats called "Culinary/Chef Paper"

and yes it comes right up easily

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Well I guess I am going to try this, but it looks like you just make it as you smoke. Stocking up would be time consuming it seems. When I make hash from outdoor I think full size washer machine, so making dabs as you go seems a little weak. Still, if it is that great I guess it is better than just smoking shitty hash or buds. I love hash and prefer to smoke it over bud.

Jurred

Well I guess I am going to try this, but it looks like you just make it as you smoke. Stocking up would be time consuming it seems. When I make hash from outdoor I think full size washer machine, so making dabs as you go seems a little weak. Still, if it is that great I guess it is better than just smoking shitty hash or buds. I love hash and prefer to smoke it over bud.
If you've got access to any kind of hash (obviously the meltier the better) you can make a ton of rosin in no time at all.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have sift and am making it regularly, i just quit doing it after a few hits. I find freezing doesn't help to collect it because it warms up to fast. This is the cleanest, strongest, longest lasting smoke I have ever made...

blastfrompast

Veteran
Buddy at the growshop was impressed, Huge flavor was his description...And this was the ww rosin

I kinda wish I woulda gave him some nicer rosin now.... But the grape ape rosin is all mine :p

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Rosin!! :yes: = flavor town!

I can’t wait to get a shirt press! (wonder if a tortilla machine would work? no idea if the temp range is right?)
I don’t get out a lot, but I have been fortunate enough to taste some mind blowing rosin.

I’m no expert, my results haven’t been super brag or photo worthy, yet, (having only tried the tech a few times w/ buds & kief.)
But at the risk of ridicule & redundancy, I’ll share what little I’ve learned, in hopes something might help someone:

- Oil Slick SHEETS instead of parchment paper…((not the mats with the green trim…these are all white & thinner than the mats, almost as thin as parchment paper…looks like parchment but shiny…I will look for a pic in a min, if I remember.)) I just ordered mine from Amazon…2 day shipping is my jam!

- @heavyicerx (Instagram) is the one person who’s name I can think of off the top of my head, who really has it down…he is knowledgeable & helpful, (& nice as shit, to boot!) I have learned a lot following him. & he doesn’t yet have so many followers (yet!) that he can't still take the time to answer some questions…Although it seems he is getting more & more attention by the second; I have a feeling he won’t be able to do that for too much longer!
- Instagram has a lotta tips believe it or not…search: #rosintech or #rosin.

- If my memory serves me, (brain injury=no memory), sounds like heavyicerx ^ is digging ~ 310 & from what I gather, he seems to prefer working with dry sieve or bubble, rather than flowers. *shrug*

- Also there was a youtube video I found helpful, *I think* it was "the death of BHO.” (double checking, that might have been an article title.)

…Back to my hair straightener!! :wave:

p.s. ***I didn’t have a chance to carefully read through the entire thread yet, I hope you will forgive me for any redundancies.***

p.s.s. I guess the 1st rosin hit dispensary shelves in CA a couple days ago, CO is next? (T.H.E. was the lab I believe.)

Last edited:

Sunfire

Veteran
The tortilla presses are insanely expensove. I want the double t shirt press. I will experiment on a production level in a few months when the dep comes down. I want to try just throwing trim on it, and lots at a time. I'll look into di kief as well, u know how to make like 20 pounds of that a day, or more really, it's pretty automated. Multiple little 10-50 gram piles of kief on one press surface?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I have found that yield is much better with tiny bits of bud. i am taking tiny pieces, maybe 0.1, then balling them up really tight and getting great yield. i will have an accurate scale soon to prove it, but i think for anyone pressing buds, tiny pieces is key to highest yield, especially in one press.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
are you talking about different strains?

I tried one strain which is very lemony terp rich, and it makes a really soft extract, which wont pick up right away very well off the parchment without a lot of fucking around. You can either freeze those sheets or just let it sit for an hour. It will harden up over time. Time works better than freezing.

cyat

Veteran
are you talking about different strains?

I tried one strain which is very lemony terp rich, and it makes a really soft extract, which wont pick up right away very well off the parchment without a lot of fucking around. You can either freeze those sheets or just let it sit for an hour. It will harden up over time. Time works better than freezing.

it was a different strain.. freezing didnt seem to help almost all stuck.. first few times I did it it it came right up

not sure yet if I like the clothes iron or hair iron

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
how do you gather it? i use a glass rod tip, works really well. rolling it. different rolling motions work for different types of condensate patterns and other esoteric shit like that :D