What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tester Badge for Seedbay & Bou testers ?

sdd420

Veteran
Don't forget that the times they are a changing I think bob Dylan wrote that anyway I expect California to join Colorado and Washington soon. Others to follow anyway there should be lots of new breeding efforts etc and lots of testing so all will have opportunities peace sdd

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
exactly why I would hate to see a "Official" downside added to testing.
I for one would rather lose beans than possible testers...

i really don't get that argument since this community is massive. and i thought part of this was to stop people losing beans to people who were never going to start them.

of course there are exceptions but by enlarge you can tell who genuinely can't start seeds for whatever reason and who just wanted some free shit.

all that fer $100 (max) worth of seeds? really? no thanx. i'll get my seeds the old fashion way...by buyin em! course i don't beg for cuts of 'elite' strains either. i'm weird like that. the fact that the only breeder in here is ad is telling. props to him! don't seem like many breeders are interested in having this conversation anyway.
biggrin.gif

yeah like toppin said i think if you can't be arsed with "all that" then you aren't right for the job. you aren't meant to be getting your seeds this way it is for popping for the community, you don't own them even, and if you don't start what you agreed to then it was just about getting some free beans.

since i started growing over 15 years ago the amount i have seen lying shits or people with retarded grow setups apply for "tester" seeds is frankly ridiculous.. every forum every breeder everywhere having to put up with children that just want a free pack of beans, it annoys the shit out of me.

Last edited:

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HOW ABOUT BREEDERS THAT CARE?

HOW ABOUT BREEDERS THAT CARE?

I keep getting PM's inquiring about prior tests and TBH I asked some of the same questions to the breeders only to be left in the dust... so-to-speak....:tumbleweed: just like the rest of the crowd

Can we put some scrutiny out here for the breeders too - Its not fun to test for folks who can't respond to PM's while you literally have people asking you how THEY can make money... whats going on here?

What gives dudes... I'm tired of sending pm's...

I choose to test to show the community(didn't do this for myself - I got tons of beans) what the breeder is offering - I choose to test to help everyone else out there- since our cannaworld isn't up to par on documentation this is the best we got. And I like shit done right.

"Test grows are done for the benefit of the breeder and the community."

I'm trying to help you dudes - not asking for nothing - but enough is enough. I went on your profiles - some of you are on daily....

:ying:

bambi

Black list every member that ketp the testers as freebies without reasonable explanation, Pm them explain that due to THEIR actions they will no longer be considered for testing on ICmag.

Testers should have to apply directly to the breeder with info on how they would carry out the testing and not just put there name down on a list (far to easy to get free seeds). If testers cant be arsed to fill in a application how can they be arsed to carry out a test grow log that will run for a couple of months? Plus this would help find a wider spec for testing i.e. if 10 packs of seeds get sent out to 10 tester who all grow in soil indoors, this wouldnt help the breeder know how they perform in hydro and so on.

Just my 2 cents

and a worthy 2 cents I think''

- Black listing those full of shit' instead of reporting the shit as was required by the tester whom didn't come through for the breeders this often happens through poor selection like I myself am guilty of in the past,
Ive atleast 4 members to put on such a list.

b.

Skip

Veteran
So in short, testers will have to earn their tester status and won't be given any "badges" or leaves until they prove themselves. :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
is there a 'seed testers' sub forum? it would be nice to be able to see all the test grows in one spot, instead of searching high and low.

I have to say this site is harder to navigate since the recent changes.

To be able to find the subfolders easier would be great

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
is there a 'seed testers' sub forum? it would be nice to be able to see all the test grows in one spot, instead of searching high and low.

I have to say this site is harder to navigate since the recent changes.

To be able to find the subfolders easier would be great

There is one here and a Seedbay Testgrow Subforum :)

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
We have to be careful with any sort of blacklisting. Are we going to blacklist breeders too?

Breeder announces test beans, you sign up, breeder checks and green lights you. Breeder says beans will be in hand in 6 -8 weeks. Perfect - exactly when I was going to pop more beans anyway. 9 weeks later breeder says another month before theyre sent to C. Now the grower risks having an empty run, so pops a few beans for backup. Another 7-8 weeks later the testers finally arrive. Thankfully you popped a few beans, but now you don't have the room to run the full test pack.

Whose at fault? Who gets blacklisted? The breeder for being late or the tester who had to keep the garden growing...

Although it may be an extreme case, I watched the above scenario play out. After 6 weeks of waiting, I let the breeder know that I wasn't going to be able to run them in a timely manner and to let someone else have them. Many of the folks that did get them haven't run them 7 months after getting them. Should both parties be blacklisted?

I could have kept the beans and would certainly be running them by now. If that were the case, should I be blacklisted for not doing them on time, as if I didn't do them at all like some others? Or should the my timing snafu be waived because the breeders timing was so far off to begin with?

A thought... The breeders should have a leaf too. Same leaf for breeder and tester. breeder automatically gets a leaf. Tester gets 1 after a start to finish, documented grow to whatever the qualifications get set at. Scrolling over a testers leaf would show the # of completed test grows. Breeders would show nothing. Perhaps the leaf could be left as an empty outline when a test is not started/finished to specs, for 1 quarter per test, for the growers. The breeder would get an outline for 1 quarter for non-responsiveness, not delivering on time, etc.

Most, if not all, of the communication between breeder and tester would have to take place in the test thread so that both sides of the story are documented should there be some contention. This will also keep the breeders active. Unforseen things happen - they need to be worked out between the 2 parties and documenred at the start of the thread.

Ie. Beans arrived late, I have to wait an extra month to pop them so I have room, I pm the breeder, they say OK. At the start of the thread I would explain that these are late because I got them late and had to wait. Then the breeder posts a confirmation in the thread. That way there is no he said/ she said BS.

Just looking to keep both sides accountable.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking at it from the point of ICmag.
I would not expect much guidance or restraint
towards breeders as they support the forum and banks
we all enjoy so much... As it should be...IMO....

The breeders and those calling for testers,need to be held accountable
by the testers and fellow members... As in.. Money talks...

IDK,maybe it's just me but if I run a test for a breeder and he
pops in 2,3 time over the grow with "Cool"-"Nice" and no
response to PMs sent... I doubt I would either run his gear
again,let alone buy some...

The flip side to that quarter..

I am testing for a dude with great vibes and I have already
scooped up quite a few packs of his other flavors offered...

Just a couple cents on keeping it about tester quality...
Once the concept of testers has proven effective the breeders will shape up or lose out... They will be asking you to test the next "Big thing" with a full bar of leaves that took a few years to gain...

The MAG can help in improving the quality of the testers by having a carrot for us to chase and make it fun to work the challenge of receiving recognition for ones effort...

Surely with all the stoned out deep thinkers here,we can come up with a simple and effective system for earning a Badge/leaf that the MAG can implement with ease...

I do hope there is some sort of road/system to a leaf or badge and not simple left to the whim of one person (MOD) having a good day and seeing a testers show...Then out of the blue lay a leaf on em...

Im really hoping for a clear set of basic conditions.
Edit: Then again..
I'll take any system they (ICmag) deem appropriate and be happy for having it...

As for the lack of breeder input,here...
:dunno:
Make's no sense to me...

Testers FTW :headbange

Thank you for the consideration of the Idea and your effort Skip...
:respect:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Support this idea!

Support this idea!

Formalize the tester experience please.
There is nothing more community building then groups of members all growing out a batch of the same seeds in different environments.
The amount of information that can be synthesized out of multiple streams of garden chaos -like in a multi member test grow - is extraordinary.

I love coming to ICMag and want it to improve.
No need to publicly shun Tester-Fakers, maybe it can be a check against a master private list of reported tester packages sent out with no followup.
Members get reported and added to the list after a period of time - but I don't believe it should be reflected publicly.

Breeders need to have a better system to getting seeds into people's hands when they say.
EX: breeders not being allowed to start a "looking for tester" thread until the seeds have been received by Clarence & team.. Then a period (like 30 days) to interact with testers and research their previous grows and board demeanor to decide if they want to work with the tester.

Tester/breeder relationship is something we need to cherish!

Thanks Skip and mods for designing, maintaining, improving & sweeping this forum.
Thanks Clarence and the breeders I've worked with for your blood, sweat, trust and friendship. (And seeds!)
Now if only the photo abilities of the website got an upgrade!

Budelight

Skip

Veteran
Formalize the tester experience please.
Well we already have a Grow Report form here:
https://www.icmag.com/modules/ICStrainguide/index.php?eop=submitreport

If a tester does not complete a report after a grow, they will not be given a leaf.

I review all those reports and those that aren't filled out properly don't get to see the light of day.

That reporting system could be enhanced a bit, but it really shows who has done their homework and who hasn't.

If a grow doesn't make it to that stage, then it's incomplete.

As to whether that reflects upon the grower or breeder will have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

I think Breeders should each keep track of test packs given out and whether the grow was complete. If a grow was not done to the satisfaction of the breeder, he/she should let Clarence know so he can decide whether that person should be sent more testers.

If the beans were crap then it will show in the report, and the grower should contact Clarence with their results, so he gets feedback on the quality of the beans.

Does all that make sense?

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Breeders need to have a better system to getting seeds into people's hands when they say.
EX: breeders not being allowed to start a "looking for tester" thread until the seeds have been received by Clarence & team.. Then a period (like 30 days) to interact with testers and research their previous grows and board demeanor to decide if they want to work with the tester.

Budelight

Good idea, bud! The breeder hears from C that the beans are in and immediately puts out the call for testers. Maybe leave the enrollment open for 1 week. That gives the breeder 3 to decide who gets them. Prospective testers need to get a pm from the breeder letting them know that they have been chosen. Seems when the tester list is posted in a thread, some people miss it.

Skip - Thanks for that link. Ive completed 4 sets of beans and haven't filled 1 of those out for any of them.

Ive got to say though, that I haven't looked at strains of interest via those grow reports since probably my 2nd month as a member. I prefer the actual full length journals - much more informative imo.

ogrerun

Being rewarded for your efforts is always nice, beyond the fact that your already being rewarded. Some sort of standard needs to be set

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We have grow reports?

Why haven't testers been instructed to utilize these before?

WHAT WILDGROW SAID! They are cool but nothing compared to an active thread you can ask a question on or back track to see a particular growth stage.

Ive done a few full tests and have only been asked to start a thread... never an actual full report of the sort.

Would help the strain guide.

Buddle

Veteran
Again I think the growers are sacrificing a lot more than the breeders when doing a thorough report..A lot of folks have limited space and dedicating an entire tent to flower a pk of tester beans is not as much as a privledge, on avg, as folks make it seem on here. In the same breath breeders have a strong argument too .

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
no one is asking any grower to sacrifice anything, if you have the room spare and the inclination to try something new with the aim to sharing it with the community then you can ask to test something..

if you have limited space and it may in anyway be a pain in the arse to start more seeds then don't apply for the job. no it isn't a priviledge it's a responsibility.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Solid!!!

Solid!!!

Well we already have a Grow Report form here:
https://www.icmag.com/modules/ICStrainguide/index.php?eop=submitreport

If a tester does not complete a report after a grow, they will not be given a leaf.

I review all those reports and those that aren't filled out properly don't get to see the light of day.

That reporting system could be enhanced a bit, but it really shows who has done their homework and who hasn't.

If a grow doesn't make it to that stage, then it's incomplete.

As to whether that reflects upon the grower or breeder will have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

I think Breeders should each keep track of test packs given out and whether the grow was complete. If a grow was not done to the satisfaction of the breeder, he/she should let Clarence know so he can decide whether that person should be sent more testers.

If the beans were crap then it will show in the report, and the grower should contact Clarence with their results, so he gets feedback on the quality of the beans.

Does all that make sense?

Once again... Simple is better...

I broke down and filled out a report...
All and all not a bad experience if you already have
a tester thread broken off from your main grow..
I simply went from day one to finish and added pictures and quotes... Turned out to make for some nice reflections on the overall grow... Also makes me want to grow them again and do them better now that I know what im looking for... lol

I can see the reports becoming easier to complete as I do a few more of them and becoming perhaps a cherry on the pie,so to speak...

Breeders should each keep track of test packs

Another great Idea... Perhaps if Clarence is up for it...

Those that send out testers could send to Clarence a
report card on testers at the end of the grows...

Simple A-B-C and Blacklisted...

This would be sent as a PM or Email and not seen by any other members...
This would cut of the hurt feeling and allow Clarence to form a no go tester list...

Might save us all a lot of headaches...
Example:
If I send a Pre list to the fuzz of tester and there is
a no go member on it.
He could send me a pm letting me know
I need to fill a spot on that flavor...

Allowing me to make the change and not even
needing to let the no go member know he got bumped...
Avoiding hurt feelings or trolling...

Makes perfect sense to me...:respect:
D.U.D.E...Im sold... :biggrin:

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
Filling out the Grow Report form does take a bit of getting used to, if you haven't done one before. However, you don't need to worry if you don't get it all right. I review all the submissions and correct any mistakes. The most common mistake is not grabbing the proper url (like including the img tag when it clearly says to start the image urls with http://).

Other than that, it's a good way to review and summarize the grow. Plus you get to link to your actual grow journal for those who want to learn more about the strain.

People are welcome to suggest improvements in the design of the Grow Reports, but we don't want to make it too cumbersome as some ppl like to put in every last detail. That's why we have lots of room for details (and more images) in the notes section. You can even post up a Youtube video!

Latest posts

Latest posts