What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dwc vs flood and drain. Og, cookies, cheese, amnesia and more...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys! Hopefully i can do an update soon. Lots of bs lately but things will progress.

Dr.Tone

Nice work dude. I was looking threw and it looks like your doing rockwool slabs in a ebb and flow table right? But then I here you say dwc, are you just permently flooding them for more of a shallow water culture? Eitherway it working great. Good job bud.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its a weird dwc setup. Set up like a standard flood and drain with air stones and multiflow pumps moving the water in between each slab. It really has been great. Regular flood and drain works well for me also but the dwc has better growth rates and higher quality end product with larger yield. Thanks for the nice comment!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FINALLY an update

FINALLY an update

well due to small security issues and more importantly family health issues i haven't been able to update here in a while. haven't had time! I've been so stoked with the DWC table that i converted my flood and drain to DWC the same way. DWC has won this for me folks. Ill still be doing a 3x3 flood and drain to compare with for now. Might convert that to an NFT system of some form though. Well see! Heres some results from a semi hot summer run. We've acquired gg4 which is a huge deal. The hype this strain has is WELL deserved.
GG4
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fire OG
picture.php
picture.php

Flood and Drain table converted to DWC less than a week in. Just weaving and training for a bit. mostly GG4 and Fire. 4 Plants are the Top secret though. I wish she vegged faster.
picture.php

:tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My 2 Cents

My 2 Cents

First, F & D can rock it when you change it up a little

F & D Tables are big, designed for large rockwool cubes

RW stays wet too long which means only 1-2 feedings per day to avoid root/stem rot

I tweaked the concept for a 'small' grower

Since a pic is worth 1000 words ...

Come by my thread for details and to follow along

View attachment 282067 View attachment 282068

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My 2 Cents

My 2 Cents

First, F & D can rock it when you change it up a little

F & D Tables are big, designed for large rockwool cubes

RW stays wet too long which means only 1-2 feedings per day to avoid root/stem rot

I tweaked the concept for a 'small' grower

Since a pic is worth 1000 words ...

Come by my thread for details and to follow along

View attachment 282067 View attachment 282068 View attachment 282069

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been running flood and drain tables for 5 years. Ive run rockwool cubes, chunks, slabs and several other methods. Hands down the slabs are the best. Easiest to get rid of and they give more than enough medium for the plants to finish in. Also, youre incorrect about feeding rockwool only once or twice per day. Thats how i did it for years. According to my data, the key amount of soaks in rockwool per day is 6 floods. One every 4 hours. Otherwise root tips dry too much stressing the plant. Rockwool holds water but also drains extremely well. Ive NEVER had problems with root rot. In both veg and flower the root mass and health was significantly improved with the increased floods. Regardless, ever since converting to the dwc style setup every single thing has improved. Growth rates, yield, trich production and smell are all improved. Take a cruise through this thread....its clear in almost all the photos. F and D takes longer and yields less buds that grow less dense and more foxtailed. Thanks for stopping in though.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heres the thing, ive experimented with my nute regimen for years. Literally, the less id give for each run the better they seemed to do. Until i got below 6 ml per gallon of base nutes. 7 is the ticket. For all of veg and flower i run 7ml per gallon of h and g aqua flakes. I run drip clean, bud xl, roots excel and top booster. Nothing else from h and g. I run bud candy from advanced nutes for carbs. Moab from mad farmer for a hardener in week 6 only. Then i flush for 2-3 weeks with just ro water phd to 6.2. Ec is always between 1.2-1.5. I never see lockout, burnt tips or any form of deficiency or toxicity. I run cal mag also at 5ml per gallon. All feed is cut after 6 weeks.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some recent flood and drain results 62 days, 3 weeks flushed

Some recent flood and drain results 62 days, 3 weeks flushed

Big Buddha Cheese
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some top secret OG from the same tray, SPICY!!

Some top secret OG from the same tray, SPICY!!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Killer job bro. Sorry about the cookies I know how it is my friend trust me Ive been rustled a few times myself. I used to do allot of hydro 13 years and your doing awesome in my book. The fact your not having bug problems and root rot thats a huge success right there. I also run everything at once cant bring myself to ever mono. There are to many cuts and strains out there to tie myself down and I want tor un them all. People ask me what kind this is. I go Skittles taste the rainbow. And people love it. One min they pull one type then the next min they find something else. Always done it and always will.

I mean if you ran mono of like the Fire cut you would probably get your gpw on it and we take a lbit of a oss running the lower yielders with the larger ones but its worth it for me. idk.

For me once I know my strains in the same 4x8 table. I classify them Tall,Med,Small and I put them in a table that way. If its something new I guess by the look of them at the flip.
I cant pitch the lights that way it def helps. I just take my FC meter and keep it 4500 at the tops and no brainier for me.

Anyway you know all this but hey man again great thread. Glad I stopped by.

ThaCollieMann

nutes

nutes

i run aqua flakes as well but i cut it back too...i run there multizyme and then budxl and i use theyre drip clean both epic products..but thats about where the buck stops...i use floralicious plus for the fulvic acids and root rocket from dominion organics as a root tonic.. its cheaper than roots accelerator by far and has a way better dilution ration imo... use protekt from grotek for my silicate also use moab powder as a pk..but i only use it for a week max..in conjunction with like mendo avalanche or some kind of kelp derivitive....

DrFever

Veteran
Hey crook i see your a flood and drain kinda guy so can i ask Flood n drain vs DWC which one do you think is better ??

i am putting something together just made my siphon tube more or less using aquaponics , DWC PPK into my new build

DrFever

Veteran
Really ??? i mean have you looked at D9's ppk thread ?? i am sorta implementing his concept but adding a twist the flood part i will use a siphon set at a certain height , so flood and a complete drain going in lower part of system then back to a main res where it gets circulated and re mixed with food into a main res i will set it so there will be always a water perched table of around 1= 1.5 inches on bottom of medium being circulated by a airstone
So airstone on main res as well a airstone in lower part of medium