What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Time - when to top a plnat?

airplane

:tiphat:Whens the best time to TOP a plant? How many weeks into grow. I understand that one should waite untill branch have 4-5 nodes, or was that when to take a clone?

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I think it really comes down to why you're topping in the first place. Me, I top when my plants have 5 sets of true leaves, top just above the 2nd set, and then I end up with 4 tops. That works best for me..others may do something different

airplane

Thanks using the "natural" way, considering topping to improve yield, either by topping or using "fim" wonder which is best? maybe doing a 6-6 plant 'sea of Grean" Whic method do you use or recommend? THANKS Peace

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if your plants are from seed then you want to leave at least 4 sets of nodes imo. seed plants can get stunted if you top them too harshly. you also want to top down to a large/mature set of leaves .
plants from clone dont matter so much and you can top them down further
but only top plants that are growing vigorously.. if its a slow vegger then lst/bending is much better

VG

O

OrganicOzarks

I take my clones in a dome and tray with rapid rooters. Once they have a lot of roots I move them to a beer cup with a clear beer cup on top of it(to act as a dome to trap humidity). I remove the "dome" beer cup after 3-5 days.

Then once growth starts going well (usually a week to 10 days). I transplant them to larger containers. To this point I have still not "topped". I am just letting the plant get well established before I fuck with it.

So into the new container for about 1 week, and then it get's "topped". Then depending on the size requirements for the final plant I may "top" a few more times. I gauge any "topping" after the first by the light green growth on the plant. The light green growth is going to be new young growth. As long as there is a "lot" of light green, and I see noticeable growth I do not top. When the light green starts to diminish I "top" again, and the plant resumes a faster pace of growth.

Topping should be used not only to create multiple main bud sites, but also to accelerate the rate at which the plant is growing while in the vegetative stage.

Mantas

As soon as the plant has established a healthy set of roots and is starting to increase vigour, generally 4 or 5 nodes of true leaves.

airplane

when you top the second time do you top after the ew 4 node? And is it topped again on the allread topped plant? Thanks really are very help full PEACE

O

OrganicOzarks

I honestly don't count nodes or anything like that. I just look at how the plant is growing and cut in a place that looks "right". "Right" can mean many different things. "Right" dependes on the outcome that you are going for.

Proper

a newbie will say top it later, a veteran will say top it early, like as early as possible

also, with doing the later method, you need to manipulate the plant by pushing the lower branches up above upper or light blocking leaves so they get direct light, this will make them eventually grow as high as the main kola which will make u more bud

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
You have to take into consideration what you have for a grow space too, and make the most of that. A sog or scrog is always good for a smaller space. Right now I'm 2000 miles from my grow so nothing is happening at the moment, plus I'm not set up to keep mother plants. A scrog would be a pain not knowing if I have males or not.
Topping to me should be a simple, one time thing to reduce stress, so like I mentioned earlier, I only top one time. Other growers have good grows topping multiple times, but I don't have experience with that. It's all a part of dialing in your grow

airplane

Thanks I forgot about the stress issue to plants any time you mess with it. So it I topp I will only do it once. Thanks for reminding me of. PEACE!! happy growing:tiphat::thank you: