What's new

Your favorite most earthy smelling strains?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have recently had a strong draw to earthy flavors rekindled. I don't mean dirt smell...One recently had a sort of slight funk/fuel to it I really enjoyed and it reminded me of a quite a few I liked before growing that I really enjoyed smoking. I did not see a similar thread in search so figured I would start one.

I keep wanting to say what I have right now is fuel and earth but it is not like a fuel kush smell, it's just really sharp smell I have hard time describing. It's like sour diesel with very very light background sour with lemon but not lemon at all just related terpenes and that common funk that makes your nostrils cringe but not quite raw fuel. I have been smoking it for a few weeks now completely outdoor vacuum sealed compact buds but really nice smoke. Just something I purchased because it was different and had a really enticing smell and perfect cure regardless of look of compacted buds. I can tell it's something that produces pretty heavy hence the outdoor use and how big the buds are even after being sealed. If I did not have extensive sour D experience I would say its an odd skunky pheno of it, but knowing bud structure and everything else about the genetic line through first hand experience I know it is not. It is not the first time over the many years I have run into this smell.

The taste definitely translates. I will never know exactly what is I am sure, but I would like to start exploring the terpene profile more as it is one of the few other than rare and abstract ones I have not dabbled in breeding or even growing.

Any suggestions?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've run "earthy" strains from organic and soil growers and damned if there was zero "earthy" to it when I was done. Damn sight more flavor and aroma than they pulled from the same strains, that's for sure.

I'm interested in what strains are actually "earthy" when grown cleanly in hydro...

Subbed

PDX Dopesmoker

Okay I finally have a description that is pretty spot on.

Pickles with a light sour and skunk/fuel.

Describing flavors & odors online is always a challenge, I worked as a baker for a while and even communicating these ideas verbally in person with like-minded coworkers it wass kind of difficult for two people to get exactly on the same page. I'm just mentioning it to you because I liked your description of what you're after, you've clearly put some thought into it. It sound almost like you're looking for something that tastes like a gin martini (depending on the type of pickles you're taking about), is that anywhere near close?

noodles05

I have a strain which i bred, that sounds very similar but i could be totally wrong.
Its (Dinafem) cheese female crossed with (T.H seeds) MK ultra male.
It has an earthy hashy smell followed by a sharp fuel pine after taste.
It was 1 of 8 that i selected a few years ago, & still cant let it go.
It tastes the same as it smells, regardless of method used to grow.
It has very dense nugs, thanks to the sour kush of the MK, & skunkyness thanks to the Cheese.
This is a strain that i made myself, but maybe others could have done the same, as these were freebies given out with seed purchases.

Happy Times

The first thing that comes to mind from my history when I think earthy is an LA confidential/headband cross I popped beans of, cross made by a buddy. Hint of lemon on the nose, and a herbal nutmeg-and-spice like finish, but a very earthy overall bent to it. Maybe that part comes from the LAcon? Haven't had the opportunity to puff it pure.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I heard MK Ultra constantly through the year in various threads. I guess it will have to go down on the list. I rarely hear a bad report about it and often get the same descriptions.

Describing flavors & odors online is always a challenge, I worked as a baker for a while and even communicating these ideas verbally in person with like-minded coworkers it wass kind of difficult for two people to get exactly on the same page. I'm just mentioning it to you because I liked your description of what you're after, you've clearly put some thought into it. It sound almost like you're looking for something that tastes like a gin martini (depending on the type of pickles you're taking about), is that anywhere near close?

Very close but without the floral and herbal notes u get from gin. The earthy smell is hearbal dill, grass, and grasses. The pickle smell really is I guess like dill, but do note I don't require the dill smell. It is nice and different but the earthy base is really what I am out for the rest will just be left up to personal preference after I grow and smell them.

YetiOG

I have recently had a strong draw to earthy flavors rekindled. I don't mean dirt smell...One recently had a sort of slight funk/fuel to it I really enjoyed and it reminded me of a quite a few I liked before growing that I really enjoyed smoking. I did not see a similar thread in search so figured I would start one.

I keep wanting to say what I have right now is fuel and earth but it is not like a fuel kush smell, it's just really sharp smell I have hard time describing. It's like sour diesel with very very light background sour with lemon but not lemon at all just related terpenes and that common funk that makes your nostrils cringe but not quite raw fuel. I have been smoking it for a few weeks now completely outdoor vacuum sealed compact buds but really nice smoke. Just something I purchased because it was different and had a really enticing smell and perfect cure regardless of look of compacted buds. I can tell it's something that produces pretty heavy hence the outdoor use and how big the buds are even after being sealed. If I did not have extensive sour D experience I would say its an odd skunky pheno of it, but knowing bud structure and everything else about the genetic line through first hand experience I know it is not. It is not the first time over the many years I have run into this smell.

The taste definitely translates. I will never know exactly what is I am sure, but I would like to start exploring the terpene profile more as it is one of the few other than rare and abstract ones I have not dabbled in breeding or even growing.

Any suggestions?

My favorite is og kush. Theres alot of phenos that have just amazing smells. Im growing irene og s1 and they already in veg have amazing smells one smells more like pine than the rest. Hollywood pure kush while not an official og is another good place to look.

Mind if i PM you later ans chat more there? I dont want to plug up your thread with a huge talk about og kush hybrid phenos unless you are cool with that

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My favorite is og kush. Theres alot of phenos that have just amazing smells. Im growing irene og s1 and they already in veg have amazing smells one smells more like pine than the rest. Hollywood pure kush while not an official og is another good place to look.

Mind if i PM you later ans chat more there? I dont want to plug up your thread with a huge talk about og kush hybrid phenos unless you are cool with that

Hmm I have some awesome HPK crosses to pop. I will look into Irene too I know Scotts OG is reported to have lots of earthiness to it and True OG is supposed to as well.