What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Do I Prevent Hash Being Sucked Into My Return Lines?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
My CMEP started making some horrible noises after two months of work. I sent a video to a kat who fixed them and he said it sounds like hash oil is in the bearings....

I do notice a little hash in the line when I am taking things apart..

Thanks

Rickys bong

Veteran
Use a separately mounted filter drier and mount your pumps higher than the recovery pot so the vapor is flowing uphill, and any liquid has to travel up a vertically oriented hose.

The cmep has a fatal flaw. The crankcase is pressurized with butane which gets dissolved into the bearing grease. When the pump is depressurized the butane boils out of the grease and pushes small amounts of grease with it.
Eventually the bearings go dry and klunky noises start. The crankcase should be modified to have a vent line so any gas in the crankcase can be vented outside.

RB

krunchbubble

Veteran
Use a separately mounted filter drier and mount your pumps higher than the recovery pot so the vapor is flowing uphill, and any liquid has to travel up a vertically oriented hose.

The cmep has a fatal flaw. The crankcase is pressurized with butane which gets dissolved into the bearing grease. When the pump is depressurized the butane boils out of the grease and pushes small amounts of grease with it.
Eventually the bearings go dry and klunky noises start. The crankcase should be modified to have a vent line so any gas in the crankcase can be vented outside.

RB

Thank You!

I do run a mol sieve that is mounted two ft higher then the collection pot, but the return line goes down to the CMEP which is on the same level as the collection pot...

So mol sieve and CMEP at same height? Is there a way to clean the bearings? I just distilled 10lbs of solvent but it didn't do anything to quiet that thing up...

Rickys bong

Veteran
If the mol sieve is uphill you should be ok. doesn't hurt to have a standard refrigeration filter drier mounted on the pump though.

But... the problem is likely that the bearings are effed. Easy to rebuild though.

RB

krunchbubble

Veteran
If the mol sieve is uphill you should be ok. doesn't hurt to have a standard refrigeration filter drier mounted on the pump though.

But... the problem is likely that the bearings are effed. Easy to rebuild though.

RB

The mol sieve is mounted up higher and still getting hash through.

Is it a full rebuild?

You need a hash trap.

Whats that?

troutman

Seed Whore
I imagine there's away to stop hash from going too far.

Kind of like a vapor trap that condenses gases into liquids before they reach the vacuum pump.

Maybe you vacuum is too high?

Or maybe, you have to clean your lines with a solvent like ethanol once in a while to unclog them.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take a look at the cyclone filter drier I designed for the VaporHawg. The inlet stream impinges on the drier wall, rather that the dual molded filter elements.

Reports from the field confirm that it works very well, so you might consider building yourself one on that same principle.

Attachments

• Cyclone filter drier-1.jpg
    Cyclone filter drier-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13

krunchbubble

Veteran
Take a look at the cyclone filter drier I designed for the VaporHawg. The inlet stream impinges on the drier wall, rather that the dual molded filter elements.

Reports from the field confirm that it works very well, so you might consider building yourself one on that same principle.

Any more info on that cyclone drier? I would like to make one, that middle spool part is custom?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Fuck....

This morning im setting up to run all day, so I decided to mount my mol sieve about 5 ft above the collection pot...

Some of the sieve made it through the showerhead intake, and ran down into the intake on the CMEP....

Turned the CMEP on and it seized...

troutman

Seed Whore
I get a feeling after heavy usage everything has to be cleaned.

Otherwise, it will cake up and cause problems like your having now.

Food manufacturing plants have to clean their machinery for this reason.

krunchbubble

Veteran
My old TRS will NOT cut it with how slow it is going today....

Taking apart the CMEP, is it easy to rebuild? Videos make it look pretty easy...

Lets see what happens....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any more info on that cyclone drier? I would like to make one, that middle spool part is custom?

My exact design belongs to Pharmgold, but I can tell you that it uses an off the shelf Sporlan internals kit to hold the two #48 filter drier elements (Sporlan or Emmerson).

The outer case is a 6 X 12 spool, with one end cap left the same and one has a 3/8" Schedule 40 304SS coupling welded in it. Flush with the outside and sticking in to the inner chamber, to provide the outlet attachment for the filter kit. The other end is held in place with a spring.

The outer case has a 1/2" X 4" Schedule 40 NPT nipple welded at a tangent. That is the inlet.

It uses SSH high pressure clamps, rated at 725psi. The 13MHP high pressure clamps are only rated at 300 psi, and ASME piping codes for LPG require at least 350 psi.

Rickys bong

Veteran
My old TRS will NOT cut it with how slow it is going today....

Taking apart the CMEP, is it easy to rebuild? Videos make it look pretty easy...

Lets see what happens....

The CMEP is fairly easy to rebuild for a novice, the bearings are off the shelf items. I would drill and tap a 1/8npt hole in the crankcase and plumb a vent line. This may shorten piston seal life but will keep grease out of your butane stream.
As it is there is nothing stopping bearing grease from getting into your butane.

RB

krunchbubble

Veteran
The CMEP is fairly easy to rebuild for a novice, the bearings are off the shelf items. I would drill and tap a 1/8npt hole in the crankcase and plumb a vent line. This may shorten piston seal life but will keep grease out of your butane stream.
As it is there is nothing stopping bearing grease from getting into your butane.

RB

Having a problem locating the bearings, have a place you recommend that has them in stock?

Rickys bong

Veteran
The bearings will have a number on them. 6004 or 6203 or similar. I think they are 6000 series but I'm not sure. Any good power transmission place will have them. Look up ball bearings, the bay area should have dozens of places to get them.

justintime420

Hey Krunchbubble im with Roil Extracts we used 3 different cmep pumps and at the end just stopped using them. They work well but a pain to clean all the time. We clean our pumps every other run so cleaning all those lines on the cmep vs say a tr21 is like addition compared to calculus. But as long as you find a good interval to regularly clean the pump it should basically last forever. We have 2 year old tr21's still perfect. Its pretty simple on the cmep just time consuming.

Also as mentioned raising the pump helps and heard/seen others heating the sieve filter to make sure only vapor not liquid/oil can be present. And of course the cyclone drier is awesome.

krunchbubble

Veteran
Hey Krunchbubble im with Roil Extracts we used 3 different cmep pumps and at the end just stopped using them. They work well but a pain to clean all the time. We clean our pumps every other run so cleaning all those lines on the cmep vs say a tr21 is like addition compared to calculus. But as long as you find a good interval to regularly clean the pump it should basically last forever. We have 2 year old tr21's still perfect. Its pretty simple on the cmep just time consuming.

Also as mentioned raising the pump helps and heard/seen others heating the sieve filter to make sure only vapor not liquid/oil can be present. And of course the cyclone drier is awesome.

Roil Extracts out of the Bay Area?

How do you clean the unit between runs?

krunchbubble

Veteran
BHOGART out of San Jose will rebuild the pump, they charge $50 a hour for whatever needs to be rebuilt...

Trying to make it there today...

justintime420

Yes Bay Area and we clean in out between runs by literally disassembling almost every piece and clean it all out before putting back together. Posted an IG pic way back on the first time we cleaned it before doing a run and was full of filth had a pile of paper towels and q tips lol.

But that BHOGART $50/hr is more than reasonable and im sure your within an hour or two of San Jose so definitely worth it if you prefer not to have to deal with it.