What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

looking for Euphoric sativa strain with similar/same high to Durban poison.

doams

Is there someone out there who grew and smoked mostly just Durban poison for decades? I know I will be that guy in the end! haha.

I just f. LOVE that euphoric effect of Durban poison but maybe there is even better strain and maybe I am missing something by just smoking Durban poison? but then again maybe this is wishful thinking and disillusion on my side..

I am not interested in stuff like SSH,SLH,Amnesia,c99 or some other generic flat high without depth..I know there is that thing about diff effect to diff ppl..but sadly those never worked for me.

I need/want just that euphoric/psychedelic clear head high like Durban poison..but mostly interested in that "euphoric" part when your surroundings change in middle of vaping/smoking..so far only noticed this with DP and nothing else :(

but maybe there is no strain like DP and I should continue smoking just DP and forget about it?

Maple_Flail

Been awhile since i've had durban, But i do recall Power Plant being a very nice alternative.

little more zippy, little less psychedelic, and to me equally uplifting.

No clue if the power plant i had was from dutch passion or not, i got mine out of bag seed of power plant labeled stuff. stuff always had semi formed no viable seeds in it not a lot but they were there. I miss that plant, the crew that buddy got from was super tight lipped and wouldn't say much more than it was their morning smoke otherwise they wouldn't have grown it as there is better yielding stuff and that it is what they said it was.

Only other things i've had that would match this description never came with names. and at the time that didn't matter.

W

Water-

a pheno of Ethiopian by ACE is related on Phylos to a south african collected by mel frank who claims to have been one of the originators of the Durban Poison that was first sold in Amsterdam.

tropical seeds has a Zambian that may be worth investigating.

and Seeds of Africa has a number of choices.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Power plant also has a stone to it. I wouldn't call it clear, uplifting mentally but stoney on the body.

Look into Congo by Ace seeds. Euphoric, motivating, clear.

Kaskadian

Veteran
If you're looking for clear headed, happy, euphoric
Ace Ethiopian
Ace Honduras
Ace Green Haze
Ace Panama

If you're looking for something a bit trippier with that sativa energy...
Ace Old Timer's Haze
Ace Zamaldelica
Ace Malawi
CBG Mangobiche

Happy Times

Iron Cindy was a very euphoric one I had a while ago. After a few tokes I remember walking to my car and realizing I had a shit eating grin plastered from ear to ear. A bit susceptible to mold in wet conditions FYI.

Super Lemon Haze a decent one too, the sample I had was from the Clinic in Denver summer of 2015. Solid nugs, a tingly happy and cerebral high, could be a good choice if one wants something with more of a solid and beefy nug structure.

Last edited:

oldbootz

Veteran
Cannabiogen Durban was selected to P4 from bag seeds in Johannesburg South Africa (collected by African Herbman) from "DP sticks" which is a very thin folded piece of brown paper tied usually with a thin red thread. I tried the version from Tropical Seeds co which is the same stock as cannabiogen is using. It is a small yielding electric sativa with some decent up power, no stone. Taste is lemony pepper and delicious.

This is a real south african sativa and not some hybrid to skunk or anything like that. I'm not sure which Durban you have been smoking so much of, there are many.

W

Water-

Cannabiogen Durban was selected to P4 from bag seeds in Johannesburg South Africa (collected by African Herbman) from "DP sticks" which is a very thin folded piece of brown paper tied usually with a thin red thread. I tried the version from Tropical Seeds co which is the same stock as cannabiogen is using. It is a small yielding electric sativa with some decent up power, no stone. Taste is lemony pepper and delicious.

This is a real south african sativa and not some hybrid to skunk or anything like that. I'm not sure which Durban you have been smoking so much of, there are many.

hey old bootz

how would you compare the straight Durban to the Durban Ciskei (dutbanpunch)???

thanks

oldbootz

Veteran
The ciskei influence brings a bit more yield and bud shape, shortens it slightly in flowering and height. The ciskei brings floral honey terps while the durban is more pepper lemon. Great plants and I would grow it again.

Is there someone out there who grew and smoked mostly just Durban poison for decades? I know I will be that guy in the end! haha.

I just f. LOVE that euphoric effect of Durban poison but maybe there is even better strain and maybe I am missing something by just smoking Durban poison? but then again maybe this is wishful thinking and disillusion on my side..

I need/want just that euphoric/psychedelic clear head high like Durban poison..but mostly interested in that "euphoric" part when your surroundings change in middle of vaping/smoking..so far only noticed this with DP and nothing else :(

but maybe there is no strain like DP and I should continue smoking just DP and forget about it?
I can't help you with an alternative to durban but I am very curious about the source of the Durban poison you have been enjoying all these years? It sounds like something I'd love to try myself. :tiphat:

Koondense

Veteran
My guess would be some congolese or angolian genetics. Or try Zamal, check for French touch seeds.

Cheers

doams

I can't help you with an alternative to durban but I am very curious about the source of the Durban poison you have been enjoying all these years? It sounds like something I'd love to try myself. :tiphat:

its Dutch Passion Durban Poison.
I can confirm that there is some kind of skunk in it /had this 18weeks pheno last round and it had that sweet skunk smell noticed that upon breaking dry stems but there was also that spicy anise smell to it. Most potent durban pheno so far from DP too bad it took that long usually its done in 3 months under 12/12 from seed.

edit: just to make sure I was not smoking it for decades just for few years in first post there is that I am looking for someone :) that someone its not me yet but it probably will be me hopefully..

THX for all the suggestions so far guys you are the best!

Last edited:

doams

Think I am looking for high THCV strains.

On the other hand, those who have reported on the effects of THCV-rich strains claim that while the experience was of less intensity and caused less anxiety, the high was more euphoric. Having a more euphoric high with less of the stress sounds like a winning combination. One of the downsides of a THCV high is that it only lasts about half as long as a THC high.

src:
https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-what-is-thcv-and-how-does-it-affect-your-cannabis-high-n1145

bet DP durban has high thcv in it thats why I love it so much.
and thats also why I want to smoke more durban just after smoking durban haha.

W

Water-

some phenotypes of DP Durban Poison have very high levels of the terpene Limonene.

I have found these phenos to be the most euphoric and stimulating, without anxiety.

Zitz

Zambian. It's like what you would get if you crossed Ethiopian to Malawi Gold.
Stronger faster harder.

'Boogieman'

I grown DP durban poison every year and love it, all the smoke reports give it no justice if grown right. Try Bangi Haze from ace seeds its more sativa than the dp and the smoke is amazing. This year im trying my cross durban poison x bangi haze.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Same as Durban means the same Cannabinoid & terpene profile or very similar.Good Durban has THCV in it and Powerplant seems to be Durban x Sk#1 IBL.