What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds can carry mites?

covert

After listening to stories about mite problems and trying to do some detective work it occurred to me that in some stories the only explaining factor for the appearance of mites out of seemingly nowhere was the planting of new seeds. .

It seems bizarre but it makes you wonder whether there are dormant eggs on or in seeds that might explain the sudden introduction of mites.

Thoughts?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could be imho. An egg is like a seed somehow, just stay there until the right moment. Maybe it doesn't last like a seed, but they're quite strong.

ps: also using contaminated flowers, smoking, grinding etc... can contaminate your grow-op.

different

It seems bizarre but it makes you wonder whether there are dormant eggs on or in seeds that might explain the sudden introduction of mites.
Thoughts?

No "dormant" eggs are in the seeds. Or on the seeds.
They came from somewhere else.

Gert Lush

Veteran

Thoughts?
I'd suspect your compost or medium, way, way before I suspect the seeds.

I guess it's not impossible, but the circumstances would have to be sooo far fetched it's really unlikely. Don't forget also that mites are migratory, so if there are any in your area and they smell your cannabis they will try their damnedest to get to it. And they are very good at getting to things.

MrBungle

Most of the time they are hanging out in your yard on weeds and catch a ride on you, or a pet, or even a hefty wind can blow them into your dwelling....

Evil little bastards.... They are the only thing in existence, that I hate with every fiber of my being.... And it ain't even their fault, they are just trying to survive... If you could find a life time supply of weed, and all you need to do was get there.. I'm sure you would find a way too!! lol

Alcohol won’t kill the seeds. It dissipates very fast. We used it and bleach to sterilize seeds before germination. But washing the seeds with plain water should be plenty to rid the eggs.

P

Pinnate

Since I switched to all sativa, my infestations are but a bad memory...

And they were so bad, they built web cities on my unfortunate buds!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a question you could answer with a microscope. Ever looked at seeds before planting. Do so then. Probably won't find a single issue.

The cause is more than likely improper entry into the facility. Shower before entering your grow. Enter naked. Dress in rotational lab clothes that NEVER leave a clean and sanitized area. Remove those clothes sealed containers. Wash and return in sealed containers.

It really isn't that hard to keep a CLEAN ROOM. I mean that in scientific terms. You just have to be willing to go the extra mile. Most people are okay spraying things down once or twice, but it really just amounts to creating as many degrees of separation as you can between possible vectors, and then you don't need to worry about those things.

dank.Frank

P

Pinnate

Indeed! No seed should be germed without HP ─ I have 35% HP which needs watering down quite a bit but a spoonful of 6% in a glass of water overnight will germinate even some ancient seeds...

PDX Dopesmoker

Alcohol won’t kill the seeds. It dissipates very fast. We used it and bleach to sterilize seeds before germination. But washing the seeds with plain water should be plenty to rid the eggs.

Almost exactly 3 years ago to the day I froze a batch of mixed bud material for extraction at -30ºC for 48 hours before soaking it in -30ºC Everclear for about 15 minutes. When I strained the material one seed floated up so I decided to see if I'd killed it with the cold or with the solvent soak and I put the seed in water overnight to find out. It cracked and grew out to a nice plant on my roof that summer. No problem with cold alcohol either it seems. I didn't think about it until now, but it makes me wonder about using a cold ethanol rinse on the buds before separating seeds out to make the seed separation process less sticky process.

Here is a picture of the hash oil plant
13yEleR.jpg

Last year I took a clone from the wrong source and ended up fighting russet mites for most of July and into August, so in my experience the human dumbness problem still seems like the worst thing to watch out for with respect to russet mites.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Scrubbing in a mix of dish soap and trisodium phosphate doesn't seem to hurt germination.