What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FedEx signature required???

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I just wanna say that usually I get*all of my*packages from Amazon delivered via UPS.

Well, last week I had ordered two air cooled hoods that was purchased through a third party seller on Amazon. FedEx attempted to deliver today while I was at work. On the door tag they left, it is required a signature from an adult (21 years or older with*government issued ID required). I reside in Kentucky so of course this kinda makes me feel uncomfortable since our state is so hard on growing. And I hope to hell the packages were shipped to me discreetly.

I have read elsewhere onna few Google searches that there is basically an indirect signature, then an 18 or older signature,*then finally a 21 years or older signature*which is usually required signature when purchasing alcohol or firearms... Wtf? It*is 2 air cooled hoods, not 80 lbs worth of ammo, guns or alcohol??

Could someone please address me on this? I am well over 21 but I just don't understand why the signature with ID is being*requested?

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Yes, what toxic hippie said.....sometimes one can request “no signature required” but the sender usually wants it signed for to prevent fraud.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Thank you guys so much! This puts me at ease 100%....

Now another question, I have had some past orders a few years ago with the tude. Never had to sign anything. Someone told me they now require signatures, and I have a huge $1,400 order on the way. Is this true about the sigs?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I leave a note to FED EX saying here's my signature. Please leave package.

Easy7

Veteran
It's not seeds or other forbidden fruits, so that is a plus.

I would still keep anything in the house hidden and locked up when getting the package.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They (carriers) are too busy...having instructions and signature....they are on a tight time line. Anything to expedite, especially this time of year makes their job easier.

Americangrower

Veteran
Everything I get from Fedex has to be signed for..if you are worried just take delivery notice to fedex hub and sign for package.

M

moose eater

Last shipment of equipment I received totaled nearly $1,000 in value, and was delivered FedEx 2nd Day Air. I don't think I had to sign for it, though perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

Anyway, often times a company will ask the sender what stipulations they want for a delivery.

Wait and see... That's what you can do.

redlaser

Veteran
The fedex guy in our area does not give a single fuck about getting sigs for packages. I had two different dehumidifiers sent recently requiring signatures both times and FedEx just drops it off.
Same Fedex driver blows through stop signs like he's running with sirens and lights, dude is a trip.

Easy7

Veteran
Ya, my old mail man would plow into trash cans that blocked mail boxes and throw packages 10 feet.

Ready4

Veteran
If your order through Fedex is insured for over a certain $ amount ( 400-500 I think) , indirect signature is automatic by Fedex policy.
Signature required is often used simply to prevent fraud & package theft. Apartment deliveries very often get signature requirement.
Signature is nothing to be alarmed about, if they were on to you that much, then getting a signature would not add much.

Also, the Fedex drivers on ground/home packages are NOT Fedex employee's like UPS drivers, who all work for UPS.
Fedex routes like home/ground delivery, are private owned routes - the employees are employees of the route company owner.
The advantage of Fedex is that these independent route owners are responsible for condition of packages - if your item gets broken by driver mishandling, the route owner company has to pay Fedex for the insurance claim payoff = generally very good care of packages. Bad drivers are not tolerated for very long.

M

moose eater

If your order through Fedex is insured for over a certain $ amount ( 400-500 I think) , indirect signature is automatic by Fedex policy.
Signature required is often used simply to prevent fraud & package theft. Apartment deliveries very often get signature requirement.
Signature is nothing to be alarmed about, if they were on to you that much, then getting a signature would not add much.

Also, the Fedex drivers on ground/home packages are NOT Fedex employee's like UPS drivers, who all work for UPS.
Fedex routes like home/ground delivery, are private owned routes - the employees are employees of the route company owner.
The advantage of Fedex is that these independent route owners are responsible for condition of packages - if your item gets broken by driver mishandling, the route owner company has to pay Fedex for the insurance claim payoff = generally very good care of packages. Bad drivers are not tolerated for very long.

Our drivers here, in Interior Alaska, where I am, are driving FedEx trucks and wearing FedEx uniforms. Not sure of any other contractual relationships with FedEx, but that's who we see here.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FedEx Ground is one of the largest delivery companies in the country. In 2013, drivers traveled more than a billion miles delivering packages for FedEx Ground and its subsidiary, but not as employees. Unlike other delivery companies, FedEx Ground uses a network of independent contractors instead of employees to transport packages across the country.

FedEx Ground says the company vets all of its independent contractors, but some companies with poor records may slip through the cracks, operate illegally on the roads, and put other drivers in potential danger.

Ready4

Veteran
Our drivers here, in Interior Alaska, where I am, are driving FedEx trucks and wearing FedEx uniforms. Not sure of any other contractual relationships with FedEx, but that's who we see here.

Yes, all the independent route employees still wear Fedex uniforms & the trucks they drive all say Fedex.
When Fedex first went to independent routes, these routes were free. Now you should see how much the routes sell for, many people that got routes for free have sold their routes for very good money.

redlaser

Veteran

That’s interesting about the automatic indirect signature. Makes sense I guess, not sure why they even bother to tell people it needs to be signed for. Not really a security issue with the signature, more of an inconvenience to be available to sign.
Probably could have set it up so it didn’t need to be signed for, just didn’t see that option when ordering.

Ready4

Veteran
That’s interesting about the automatic indirect signature. Makes sense I guess, not sure why they even bother to tell people it needs to be signed for. Not really a security issue with the signature, more of an inconvenience to be available to sign.
Probably could have set it up so it didn’t need to be signed for, just didn’t see that option when ordering.

The automatic indirect signature is not something that the sender or buyer can simply opt out of, it is Fedex policy for insurance purposes, all packages that are insured for over $400-500 get ISR when label is printed, whether you want it or not.
There are options like "hold at location", which means you can pickup from a designated Fedex location. Also other options, such as a certain time frame such as after 5pm delivery, also Fedex can call you to arrange a delivery time - both of these options require extra fees.

redlaser

Veteran
The automatic indirect signature is not something that the sender or buyer can simply opt out of, it is Fedex policy for insurance purposes, all packages that are insured for over $400-500 get ISR when label is printed, whether you want it or not.
There are options like "hold at location", which means you can pickup from a designated Fedex location. Also other options, such as a certain time frame such as after 5pm delivery, also Fedex can call you to arrange a delivery time - both of these options require extra fees.
Wonder what the point of auto indirect signing is, beyond just keeping things moving.
Seems like vendors would want a buyer to do the actual signing, especially for more expensive items.

Latest posts

Latest posts