What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to handle unmatching flowering in tent

majorana

I decided to do something knowingly stupid, and planted 10 plants of 6 different strains in 1 tent (6 of one strain, the other a mix). I tried to be smart and made sure they should reach the same height and flower around the same time, all of them autoflower/ruderalis.

I'm now at week 8 (the spec sheet gave them all 8-9 weeks), and it's clear that some will need just 2 more week and others will take longer. I suspect one of the plants in the back of the tent (which is so full I can't actually see) should already be cropped.

The issue is drying: because a carbon filter is a must and I only have one the original plan was to cut and dry all plants at the same time. A past attempt to dry a plant in a carboard box (to block the light) inside the tent while other plants kept on maturing ended up with a moldy mess. So what would you suggest I do? Would it be better to prematurely crop some plants, or let a couple of plants get to 100% brown pistils for a week while the rest reach the 50-70%?

Side question: there was a spell of heat on week 6-7 which caused 4 of the plants crazy crazy stretching, doubling in height and leaving the others behind. To avoid burning the tall plants I had to lift the LEDs, but now the smaller plants get less light. The new massive growth, to make things worse, is far behind on flowering. I did a mix of supercropping and LST on the tallest stems, but I have no idea how to handle this situation either.

Dry your buds in the tent. Put a small fan inside the tent and hang the buds upside down in front of the fan. You shouldn't have mold, except humidity is extremely high in your tent, which is absolutely not recommended during flowering.

If you like you can shield the buds a bit from light, so flavour is a bit protected.

Concerning LED - I have no experience, but light intensity gets lower very fast the bigger the distance. HPS lamps lose less light intensity in the distance.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, if you have any kind of budget you could set yourself up some kind of seperate drying op, heres some links to a Secret Jardin DD90 dry tent and a fan/carbon scrubber combo and a hanging rack that is very similar to my own setup. ...keep in mind that i didn't shop for the best price here so I'm betting that if you do you will beat these prices.

...anyway, the tent.

http://www.hydrohippy.com/Secret-Jardin-Dark-Dryer-3-x-3-x-6-DD90.html

...fan/filter combo.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/4-6-8-Inch-In...%3A843eded015c0aa4694898f2bffff18f7%7Ciid%3A2

...the drying rack.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Layer-Collaps...%3A8440762f15c0ab61cc487757fff6f1ec%7Ciid%3A1

...the only thing you need to add to this is a speed controller for the fan and all of this stuff shouldn't run you much more than $200.00.

good luck, bozo

majorana

I feel neither answer addressed my questions. Buying a large dry tent isn't an option for practical reasons. Drying inside the tent, with lights on, will either end up in degraded THC and/or mold (RH shoots up at night time - there are breathing plants in the tent). I'm guessing there's no perfect solution / hack -- so my question again is when is it it better to crop all plants. If it's better to go 100% dark pistils on a couple of plants and the rest just-right or some premature plants with the rest just-right.

Rastak'

It's up to you ;)

If you can't dry nowhere except your grow tent, you already tell us about the 2 solutions you have.

1 → you cut now the ready ones and you put in a box, hooked at the top of your tent.

2 → You wait for the longer to be ready, knowing that some will be stronger.

HereIgrowagain

A simple solution to this would be, crop 1 or 2 plants that will leave a little bit of space for drying, or at least the start of drying.

If you only have a week or 2 more for maturity I would turn the lights out. This will not hurt your plants still growing, shocks them a little I think, certainly does no harm either way.

Lights out perfect for your chopped bud. Do a plant every day or so leading up to getting to the beast at the back lol

Good luck.:tiphat:

X

xavier7995

You could try duct taping some black plastic up to make a separate area within the tent.

SamsonsRiddle

I feel neither answer addressed my questions. Buying a large dry tent isn't an option for practical reasons. Drying inside the tent, with lights on, will either end up in degraded THC and/or mold (RH shoots up at night time - there are breathing plants in the tent). I'm guessing there's no perfect solution / hack -- so my question again is when is it it better to crop all plants. If it's better to go 100% dark pistils on a couple of plants and the rest just-right or some premature plants with the rest just-right.
The question about the plants that are smaller only takes a little common sense - put their pots on top of something (a book, a brick, grandma's old knickers).

You may be able to chop a couple and put them outside your tent, but somewhat close to your intake hole so that your tent will suck in their smell and scrub it with the rest of the smell going out your tent. I would rather have a few with a little extra amber, than a few with too many clear trichomes - but i like my buds to be mature.

meadowman

i dry in my flower room and my bud comes out great. don't sweat it, they won't be there long enough to cause noticeable, if any harm.

hazefreak

Id consider using a cupboard or a diy box for hanging, getting timing right is a plan.

Lesson has been learnt already im sure! We all get a bit eager when popping lol

S

sourpuss

i would build a cheap box even carboard box hooked up to your intake of your flower tent. constant air movement solves the mold. pretty easy solution... anymore questions???

Latest posts

Latest posts