What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The perfect drip irrigation pump

MedicinalLifer

well pumps cost and make noise, ya need 2 in case, and make you lazy when its a 4x8 area, takes no time to dump in a half liter so you get a good entire flush of all the medium, drippers tend to let it run to a small pool by the stem and outside doesnt get a good flush so salt builds up, as well, the larger ammount pulls in way more oxygen than a trickle of water...do a test, see which thrive better...hand watering for small garden is the only way to go for maximum growth

Is this pump submersible? How do you hook up to the rez just a hose on both ends i suppose? i know its probably a stupid question.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Use it on the outside of reservoir. 3/4" garden hose in the reservoir that connects to the pumps inlet and use 3/4" garden hose on the outlet that connects to your pvc manifold.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Nahhhh.....I'd rather learn from the experience of others. I don't need to intentionally add anything else in my life that I already know will cause me misery. Those type of things find me without my cooperation.
If I can get the drippers to water evenly, AND they are simpler and less expensive than Blumats....that would equal a win for me.
Thanks again for sharing your experience! :tiphat:

You should have a look at my thread, I dont use drippers but all 6 of my hydro halos put out within 1.5 ounces of each other...... and all the information is in my thread so you can build a system like mine if it tickles your fancy....

Chronicbs Thanks for bringing up pressure compensating drippers I was able to find this on google:
Pressure Compensating, or PC, is a term used to describe an emitter that maintains the same output at varying water inlet pressures. Therefore PC drippers compensate for uneven terrain, length of supply tube and varying inlet flows.

That should basically solve the issues of not having equal flow to your girls. With those you dont have to worry. And like catata fish suggested you can use different size like .5 gallon up to 2 gallon depending on the size of the girl.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Yea PC drippers will solve those problems..... Im no fan of drippers i like my pump to run about 10 seconds intervals every two hours...... But i'm a fan of the multi feed DTW. anyway the problem with most PICO style drip systems is two fold. First keep the lines exactly the same length, and OVER size your pump, I use a 500 gph now for 6 plants...... you need high quality, Large volume pumps....

gr866

Veteran
You should have a look at my thread, I dont use drippers but all 6 of my hydro halos put out within 1.5 ounces of each other...... and all the information is in my thread so you can build a system like mine if it tickles your fancy....[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70660&pictureid=1705537&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70660&pictureid=1705536&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70660&pictureid=1705535&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I have not been able to find your thread. Would love the info though.. I found it sorry

Aspenou812

Veteran
Yea Stoned i didn't want to say it, I was hoping he got a few back ups but...... Quality Equipment cant be overlooked.... My pumps are 500 gph Danner Mag drive POND MASTERS. go with a little Giant or a mondi something time tested! I would hate to see you come in on a new grow to dry cooked plants....... because of a cheap pump failure. Get high quality equipment and buy a back up...... trust me it only takes hours to kill off plants depending on how you grow them out.

Catatafish

Veteran
Keep in mind there a different pump types to do different jobs. Brand name really has no effect on a the "job". Little giant and others make a couple types etc (mag, diaphgram, jet ...etc). So just buying a brand "x" pump isnt going to make all things happen. You got to buy brand "x" 's "diaphragm" pump if thats what you need. Or brand Y's jet pump etc..

Try using a mag pump to drive pc emitters and let me know how that works out for ya.

By the specs its seems the pump is just shy of being able to run octa-bubblers which require 20psi. But would work great for other types of emitters.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
The Ecoplus brand pumps are a good value/reliable mag drive for pico style manifolds. I use the 633 (594gph), 35$ on ebay.

Mine push through 4' of verticle head and 13' of 1/2" hard line total, 18 open 1/4" lines feeding 9 pots.

Plenty of pressure and flow for open lines. Inexpensive. I use the same pumps in my cloner, for my transer pump to fill reservoirs and to drive pico manifolds. If one fails, all my pumps are the same....so backups are easy.

Top hat gromets, pvc pipe and 1/4" tubing FTW. Cheap Easy Interchangable

Aspenou812

Veteran
Keep in mind there a different pump types to do different jobs. Brand name really has no effect on a the "job". Little giant and others make a couple types etc (mag, diaphgram, jet ...etc). So just buying a brand "x" pump isnt going to make all things happen. You got to buy brand "x" 's "diaphragm" pump if thats what you need. Or brand Y's jet pump etc..

Try using a mag pump to drive pc emitters and let me know how that works out for ya.

By the specs its seems the pump is just shy of being able to run octa-bubblers which require 20psi. But would work great for other types of emitters.

You're absolutely right Cat..... I was telling him that new growers don't need equipment problems, buying products that have been used and reviewed hundreds of times will limit equipment issues... Everything in my grow has been tested many times over..... And I don't have equipment issues..... But you do have to buy the right equipment for the job you need to do....

Old Toker

Keep in mind there a different pump types to do different jobs. Brand name really has no effect on a the "job"..
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. How about some DTW pump recommendations? Different pumps for different jobs? :tiphat:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Old T for DTW setups you will find more mag drive pumps than anything else, If you made it to the res build of my thread you can see i installed it wrong..... thinking it would lift fluids and prime.... man i was wrong, That's when Cat told me about the different pumps... ( Gotta play my GIRL Card here hehehehehe ) you see more mag drive pumps in the bottom of res on these threads for one reason, and one reason alone... DEPENDABILITY..... they have 1 moving part the impeller... Um Cat thats what its called right... check me on that i'm a little high??? but basically they just wear out! nothing much in there to service. you can remove the cover and o ring pull the impeller out and clean them out. DEPENDABILITY comes from 1 moving part....hehehehe..... And replace them every year... a really cool guy told me about that tip.... I didn't ask why, but the pumps get nasty and degrade, Yea Cat knows his shit.... good advice always:)

Old Toker

..you see more mag drive pumps in the bottom of res on these threads for one reason, and one reason alone... DEPENDABILITY.....
Mag submersible pumps are what you recommend and use? Thanks. Any particular models/brands for the rec grower with less than say 10 plants?

BTW - I am on page 20 something of your thread. End of December:tiphat:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Glad I don't need a pump to switch over my blumats to drip. Just need the solenoid and timer. Got plenty of pressure from having my 30 gal rez on the second floor, 10 feet above the plant containers.

Latest posts

Latest posts