What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jact55 Landrace Thread

Zitz

Gracias Truhan. Si, tengo manipuri y yo quiero crecer muy pronto. Tu manipuri es muy bueno.

Zitz- do you mean the RSC PKC or the ace variety?
The RSC had huge genetic diversity. Smells and structures were all over the place. A unique plant tthat has some gems. The ace variety was more stabilized. Sturdy plant that yielded a more conventional bud. Purples and green plant are both common. Nice plants as well. I'd say pop the shebergan, i think they can get massive. Wish I had those. Really wanted the new release of Mazar a shariff, which I think is the same or close to the shebergan, but missed out to this point.

I meant the Ace one, you confirmed what I was thinking (Ace's being more stable, more intensively bred) though Im under the impression the RSC Kush was selected from more private growers rather than large commercial hashplant feilds.

The Shebs are old but have been kept in good conditions, I will only pop them if I decide to reproduce or at least cross it, if not then perhaps someone else is up to the task.

The Mazar like the Shebs I belive are tall, late maturing WLD types, being in a not so great climate Im more interested in the Leb an Sinai...Btw the Sinai's early start to flowering is a very important trait imo - at least from an outdoor perspective.

thejact55

I think you are right zitz, about chitrali being brought to market by RSC by a more small scale private breeder or collector from that region.

God I really want the Mazar. I went to buy it from seedsman, and they were having visa issues. I waited instead of sending cash, I don't have another brand of card. It sold out, and it has not come back on the site. I love it's large size, really a massive plant. I have harsh winters, so outdoors wouldn't work for me either. Hopefully your willing soon, they look like awesome plants.

Yes, most people look down on those who start flowering early, but I have no qualms with it. I can confidently put sinai in the ground and not worry about it finishing before frost. It's not that it auto flowers, but knows when it's mature and starts to slowly transition into flower. Kinda half way inbetween i guess. Mine started flowering late june or early july, but in a slow fashion, and totally finished mid october. Perfect.

burningfire

Veteran
I'd like to see more shebs, the males I got were intensely fragrant, I would have loved to have found a female.

I think we won't be seeing them from the field ever again, but a repro would be great, I had some seeds but since I had no place to pop them I sent them to someone who didn't have any luck with them :(

thejact55

Well guess its time to share my summer projects. Going a little out of my norm and using up some of my older more standard strains, in addition to my landrace work.

Dutch styles: all going outside for bud production
Strain #1 and pic 1- TGA Jilly Bean x5, standard seeds. All 5 of 5 seeds popped. unsure on male to female ratio as of yet. seems to be a good sturdy strain.

Strain #2 and pic 2 - Seedsman Skunk #1. Feminized seeds, 4 of 4 popped. 2 have minor deformations in their leaf, but vigour is just fine.

Strain #3 and pic 3- Barneys Farm CBD Critical Cure. feminized seeds, 3 of 3 popped. all are healthy.

Landrace type: staying indoors for seeds.
Strain #4, pic 4- Ace Chinese Yunnan. Regular seeds, only 1 of 6 popped :( fairly certain this plant is a male. nice wide leaves, good vigour. bummed, as I think only femmed seeds are available now, which I just got a few of these, and my collection lacks a lot of landrace type indicas. Any thoughts on crossing this male with the femmed Yunnan seeds I just got?? worried about hermie rates popping up in the future, is this true?

Strain #5 pic 5- RSC Manipuri: regular seeds, only 3 of 12 seeds popped. bad luck this time round I guess. hoping for a male and female from the 3, so I can keep it pure. Wider leaves and shorter than expected.

Strain 6, pic 6 - RSC Ukhrel: because I only got 3 seeds of Manipuri, I decided to add this strain as insurance in case I got all males or females, this is the closest type to Manipuri. I put 8 seeds into paper towels, 5 turned to plants. very similar so far to Manipuri. if I get a male and female from the mani's, these will be isolated to also keep this type pure.

Attachments

• jilly bean.jpg
    jilly bean.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14
  • skunk #1.jpg
    skunk #1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 16
  • cbd critical cure.jpg
    cbd critical cure.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 13
  • yunnan.jpg
    yunnan.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
  • manipuri.jpg
    manipuri.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 66.4 KB · Views: 32

thejact55

In addition to all of above...
My Mother/Father selection project:
I put 20 seeds of my reproduction of RSC Sinai and 16 seeds of my reproduction of Tropical Seeds Senegal into paper towels. these have been two of my favorite strains to date. All 20 Sinai have popped and 17 have gone in soil, last ones tomorrow. 6 of the 16 Senegal are in soil, with at least 4-5 more that are starting to sprout, I will have at least ten, probably more of these growing. pic one is the dirt they are in lol

I hope to find a mother and father from the Sinai.
Mother traits: a specific floral perfume smell I have seen from this batch, red/purple color, yield.
father traits: vigor, structure, red color, stinky stems.
pic 2 is the mother these seeds came from, she was pollinated by 3 males. pic 3 is one of her offspring I grew last summer

I hope only from a mother from the Senegal. all the males I have seen in this strain have hermied on me.
Mother traits- really I want one just like the mother these seeds came from. super frosty, overly-ripe mango smell. little heavier bud structure than other Senegal plants, slight purple color.
pic 4 and 5 are bud shots of the mother these seeds came from.

I will keep these in one gallon pots outside all season, take clones from all plants, and keep the clones from the winner plants once fall has ended. from there I will keep the clones as mother for breeding projects in the future.

Attachments

• 20160925_185445.jpg
    20160925_185445.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
  • J.jpg
    J.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 19
  • K.jpg
    K.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Sinai #1.JPG
    Sinai #1.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170506_202554.jpg
    20170506_202554.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13

seeded

Landrace type: staying indoors for seeds.
Strain #4, pic 4- Ace Chinese Yunnan. Regular seeds, only 1 of 6 popped :( fairly certain this plant is a male. nice wide leaves, good vigour. bummed, as I think only femmed seeds are available now, which I just got a few of these, and my collection lacks a lot of landrace type indicas. Any thoughts on crossing this male with the femmed Yunnan seeds I just got?? worried about hermie rates popping up in the future, is this true?

You'll make regular seeds if you do that and there shouldn't be an increased risk of hermies provided the parents are resistant to adverse conditions themselves. Last I checked though bonza seeds had lots of old ace stock including the china yunnan, double thai, laos, etc. in regular form that you might be interested in :tiphat:

Good luck with all your work and keep those pics coming because damn some of them like your f2 sinai are pretty as :biggrin:

seeded

I don't trust Bonzaseeds.com
the other day they stole a picture from this forum without prior consent and did some false labeling.
Yeah Bonza are terrible shouldn't be supported in the slightest but I know from personal experience that their stock is real so siding with the devil here would get him more seeds he wants that can't be easily sourced anywhere else. It's not ideal, especially so with the barely acceptable sprout rate on bonza's old stock, but a few extra sprouts could make the world of difference to his breeding goals so in instances like this it sort of becomes ok to do business with them.

I'd think of it like dealing with egyptian grave robbers to get back a national treasure that belongs in a museum. It's not ideal but in the end the treasure is saved for everyone to enjoy for the rest of time. Actually comparing bonza to grave robbers is a bit rude to actual grave robbers who at least work for a living but you get the point :laughing:

ngakpa

Veteran
hi - great thread!

just to say:

the RSC Chitrali is from a grower in Chitral who grows for personal use. He will typically have 20 or so plants going around his land in any one year. And they will be open-pollinated, as well as being hit by pollen from other grows around the area. So there is plenty of genetic and phenotyppic diversity in the strain. The grower is an old guy, a very big smoker, and a local hakim.

So to clarify: The RSC Chitrali is a pure unworked traditional strain, open-pollinated, direct from Chitral - a totally different proposition from the ACE PCK, which has been inbred using modern techniques over numerous generatons.

About the Nanda Devi:

People who have problems with germination can please contact me direct to arrange replacements. Feedback on germinaton with the Nanda Devi is always highly variable.

The same applies if you have issues with any other strain - which you shouldn't. But if you do, let me know.

thejact55

Some updates.

One my mother search: 20/20 Sinai seeds popped, I think two will be tossed soon, leaving me 18 plants to choose from. the Senegal, I got 12 of 15 to pop, with one or two going to be tossed. I did gift some Senegal seeds to a family member, he popped 3 and got 2 males and one female. all 3 specimens were fantastic to date, so I took clones, in case they are the "one". so a total of 13 plants, with two confirmed males and one female for the Senegal search. pic 1 is the seedlings of these. anther two weeks or so, these will all go outside to keep on growing.

Ukhrel/Manipuri Seed Run: First, the tent smells of a citrus funk when opened, and they are nowhere near budding. the Manipuri is mostly to blame for this smell, but the ukhrel display a similar smell, just not as strong. structure on the two plants are similar, medium lankiness, with medium leaves that are not super narrow. all three Manipuri and a couple uhkrel leaves are a beautiful blueish tint. The ukhrel are showing sex sooner, with three confirmed females, and pretty sure the other two are male. the Manipuri are taking their time. I am thinking one male, and one female, with the third throwing me off. maybe hermie, but unsure. I am not 100 percent sure on these, but the subtle traits to date lead me to this conclusion. pic 2 is Manipuri, 3 plants, pic 4 is the uhkrel, 5 plants.
since these plants are fairly similar, I will probably keep them all in for a mating orgy, although I am leaning to liking the Manipuri a touch more, due to stem smell and the blue leaf color.

Outdoor bud production: 5 or 5 seeds of jilly bean are female. great structure, liking these plants. I gave some plants away, kept two skunk #1, which are super stinky already, and kept two cdb cure. all are growing well. no pics on these this round

Attachments

• 20170518_194821.jpg
    20170518_194821.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170518_195150.jpg
    20170518_195150.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170518_195201.jpg
    20170518_195201.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14

thejact55

Some updates.

One my mother search: 20/20 Sinai seeds popped, I think two will be tossed soon, leaving me 18 plants to choose from. the Senegal, I got 12 of 15 to pop, with one or two going to be tossed. I did gift some Senegal seeds to a family member, he popped 3 and got 2 males and one female. all 3 specimens were fantastic to date, so I took clones, in case they are the "one". so a total of 13 plants, with two confirmed males and one female for the Senegal search. pic 1 is the seedlings of these. anther two weeks or so, these will all go outside to keep on growing.

Ukhrel/Manipuri Seed Run: First, the tent smells of a citrus funk when opened, and they are nowhere near budding. the Manipuri is mostly to blame for this smell, but the ukhrel display a similar smell, just not as strong. structure on the two plants are similar, medium lankiness, with medium leaves that are not super narrow. all three Manipuri and a couple uhkrel leaves are a beautiful blueish tint. The ukhrel are showing sex sooner, with three confirmed females, and pretty sure the other two are male. the Manipuri are taking their time. I am thinking one male, and one female, with the third throwing me off. maybe hermie, but unsure. I am not 100 percent sure on these, but the subtle traits to date lead me to this conclusion. pic 2 is Manipuri, 3 plants, pic 4 is the uhkrel, 5 plants.
since these plants are fairly similar, I will probably keep them all in for a mating orgy, although I am leaning to liking the Manipuri a touch more, due to stem smell and the blue leaf color.

Outdoor bud production: 5 or 5 seeds of jilly bean are female. great structure, liking these plants. I gave some plants away, kept two skunk #1, which are super stinky already, and kept two cdb cure. all are growing well. no pics on these this round

I will take some better pics, without the color of the LED light (which is awesome by the way), to show actual plant color.

on the nanda devi- my germ rates are probably in the 90% range. Manipuri has been my only low germ rate batch, but they are a couple years old. hopefully my three babies will get me what I need for future growth.

I forgot to add, I popped my three femmed Yunnan seeds, two survived. the one non-femmed Yunnan was a hermie, so I tossed it. I will grow out the two femmed Yunnan plants for smoke, and I guess those genetics are lost from my collection after that. oh well, I already have more than I can handle.

woops, I guess my edit decided to post a separate response...

seeded

Shame about the editing issue but such a quality post deserves two rep points anyway. Thanks for sharing :good:

thejact55

Haha glad I was able to get the 2 rep points at least.
Sounds like a nice "indica" type grow Mandeville. Interested in the Uzbek, where did you find those seeds? Please share pics on all of em if possible.

Manivelle

Veteran
uzbek come from a friend who got it from antoher grower.
i gave the seeds to a friend . i'll try to upload some pics .

Sivas

herb

herb

hi - great thread!

just to say:

the RSC Chitrali is from a grower in Chitral who grows for personal use. He will typically have 20 or so plants going around his land in any one year. And they will be open-pollinated, as well as being hit by pollen from other grows around the area. So there is plenty of genetic and phenotyppic diversity in the strain. The grower is an old guy, a very big smoker, and a local hakim.

So to clarify: The RSC Chitrali is a pure unworked traditional strain, open-pollinated, direct from Chitral - a totally different proposition from the ACE PCK, which has been inbred using modern techniques over numerous generatons.

About the Nanda Devi:

People who have problems with germination can please contact me direct to arrange replacements. Feedback on germinaton with the Nanda Devi is always highly variable.

The same applies if you have issues with any other strain - which you shouldn't. But if you do, let me know.

Justoine question, how does he smoke his herb? Does he make hashish ?

thejact55

I have done both. Most the time it's just a bowl of the chitrali, but I have made ice hash. I'm more of a simple green plant smoker myself.
The nanda devi, noted in the post, if more for charas (nepali traditional hand rub rope type hash) but for my taste a bowl works just fine :)

ngakpa

Veteran
Justoine question, how does he smoke his herb? Does he make hashish ?

Hi there

Yes, sure.

All the cultivars in places like Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan are used to make hashish. In fact, in those areas it is called charas (or chaars). Nobody smokes the buds: they are all seeded plants.

The same is true of the Himalaya.

Only ganja cultivars, which are mostly grown in the tropics (and subtropics), are smoked as bud.

A minor exception to this is when people, mostly sadhus (holy men), pick feral/wild cannabis flowers, remove the seeds, and smoke the crumbled buds. This is called pati.

thejact55

this will be a two post update, first the parts I am not so concerned with.

Pic one- my mother selection run seedlings. all is going good here, tossed a couple, but still plenty to choose from. there are some standouts on both the Sinai and Senegal in initial vigor, and normality, but more interesting to me, especially in the Sinai, there are some abnormal growth traits that I have noted. I will touch on these later in their life, if they keep up the odd structure.

Pic 2 - my outdoor western strains. front left are the skunk #1, as expected they are already putting out a strong odor. front right, my two cbd critical cure. thick beefy leaves, stem smell is not impressive. back 5 plants are the TGA jilly bean. they are smaller plants than the skunk and critical cure, but in half the soil. they are a much more impressive plant honestly. much better lower growth and better stem smell. I feel one or two of these will be gems in the long run.

next post is my focus though.

Attachments

• 20170526_202400.jpg
    20170526_202400.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170526_202318.jpg
    20170526_202318.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 10

thejact55

This is what I want to touch on. any help/input is appreciated. I have questions, but first an update for my manuri/ukhrel...

So, I have noticed that the ukhrel have so far gotten taller than the Manipuri overall, to my surprise. The ukhrel are 2 weeks younger as well. all but one male of the ukhrel is taller than any Manipuri. the ukhrel females are sooner to flower, the males are slower. oddly, so far, the opposite of the Manipuri is true. the females are slower and males faster on initial flower for the Manipuri. smells have not developed more, but they are all getting very tall. the ukhrel is more lanky and the Manipuri has a little better lower side-branching...but really they are very similar.

pic one - ukhrels on left, manis on right.
pic two- standard ukhrel female and the Manipuri female.
pic 3- my three Manipuri
pic 4 my 5 ukhrel

So now my dilemma/question- I want input on hermies. I have one ukhrel that was a very male early, but is now showing 100 prevent new female traits, in the most aggressive manner comparatively to other females. only the most initial lower have males parts, like 4 balls, the rest of the nodes are all female. Now my most early male of Manipuri, has now shown female traits as of today. 4 nodes or so of male, now to node is female. I feel this one is more "hermie" in a bad way versus the ukhrel.

So my question is two part: In western/dutch/modern standards, hermies are bad. in this scenario, how truly detrimental would keeping these two plants be? one would assume in the fields in these far reaching orgins, hermies are common and not the end of the world. is this correct? should I wait these out? or toss em, thoughts?

second question: this is a small sample, so not really valid scientific sample in relation to this experience, but I have noted that a lot of people don't like early flowering tendencies. in my tent the two earliest flowering plants have now turned hermie. is this due to people not liking an auto-flower trait, or could it be that early flowering plants have a higher tendency to hermie? any thoughts? these strains are not early compared to a ruderalis plant, so in this case, this isn't valid, but could earlier plants have a higher tendency to hermie? I have noticed this in other strains like mango biche and other unrelated strains also. do you think there is an ounce a validity to this?

edit: sorry, the pics aren't sideways on my computer. sorry...not sure why there are on the site.

Attachments

• 20170526_201918.jpg
    20170526_201918.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170526_201947.jpg
    20170526_201947.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170526_202034.jpg
    20170526_202034.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170526_202109.jpg
    20170526_202109.jpg