Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles?

Thread Title Search
Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2020, 05:03 AM #21
H G Griffin

H G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant futureH G Griffin has a brilliant future
In for information. Thank you to the innovators.
H G Griffin is online now Quote

Old 12-27-2020, 05:46 AM #22
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
I have used 2 kinds. The one in your link is the one I prefer. Tapioca Maltodextrin.

Good luck. That bag will last me a year, I'll bet. It goes a long way. I boought this first and didn't like it as much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-27-2020, 05:53 AM #23
moose eater

moose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond reputemoose eater has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychdelicSam View Post
It works with any oil so I recommend extracting into your favorite oil such as mct, coconut or any other after decarbing. That will remove any grit/plant material.

I find that it lasts quite a long time and is very effective for pain and other issues. Combined with the fast onset of the maltodextrin it's the best of two worlds.

For anyone interested in how it's done here's a simple video I made about it. It's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEp8puuwlc
I thought I was seeing some degree of contradiction in this, and wanted to clarify.

ringo was saying this likely isn't suited to medical uses, as the longevity of the effect or presence in the System is shorter (similar to smoking), where as eating typically last considerably longer, is therefore present in the blood system longer, and better for medical use thereby, which also provides a 'different' high.

But in your post I quoted above, it seems you are saying that this combines the better attributes of both methods, and DOES last a reasonably long time in the body.

Did I misunderstand one of you, or both??
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2021, 12:29 AM #24
JRace

JRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of light
Going to make this today.
If i understand it a good starting point is
5parts “infused oil”
4parts Maltodexterine

I have distillate, co2 oil, rosin, and RSO to work with.

Just need to figure out the ideal “infused oil” ratio,
Dist : mct : lecithin

Eds patent says
Quote:
wherein the cannabis oil has been absorbed by the maltodextrin powder, such that there is no more than one-eighth of a gram of cannabis oil absorbed into every three grams of maltodextrin powder.
JRace is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2021, 02:06 AM #25
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
Ed is goofy. LOL I read that in his patent a well. I found a good ratio to be 1:1 by weight. Sam over at Grasscity like 5:4. Close enough. LOL

Don't forget to sift it after mixing. This makes sure there are no "clumps" of hidden oil that don't get attached to the malt.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:02 AM #26
JRace

JRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of lightJRace is a glorious beacon of light
First test was just plain mct oil maltodexterine,
5:4
Mixed 1tsp (~0.9grams) with 250ml water using a small electric hand blender.
There was a slight bit oil on the surface but overall it blended well.

Perhaps 1:1 would be better.
I am more interested in the quicker onset than the water solubility, although that would make for some interesting drinkables.

Next up will be infusing 1gram distillate with MCT oil, then making the powder.

I do have liquid sunflower lecithin, how much should I add for 1 gram distillate?
JRace is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2021, 03:17 AM #27
Ringodoggie

How much lecithin I use depends on what I am making. For capsules, I want them as strong as possible so I use VERY little lecithin. For cookies and brownies type stuff, I'll pour it on.

If I'm not mistaken, a half gram of rosin is about 1/4 tsp. So, I mixed about 1/4 tsp of lecithin to the 1/2 gram of rosin. So.... about equal amounts by measure. 1/4 tsp of rosin to 1/4 tsp of lecithin. This was for caps so you might want to use more than equal ratios. I have never used distillate so I can't say much on that regard. I always use rosin.

I am with you on the fast onset thing.

It still tastes like shit to me (as strong as I make it) so mixing it with any drink just makes the drink taste like the same shit. LOL However, I am repulsed by the taste of cannabis so your mileage may vary.

As for mixing with water... yeah, I was a little disappointed as well. But, like you, I was not that concerned with water solubility.

Let us know how it comes out.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:23 AM #28
JRace

first active test

0.5gr Distillate
0.5gr Lecithin
3.5gr MCT Oil
4.5gr Maltodexterine

Overall:
1:1 ratio

MCT : Dist : Lecithin
6:1:1

1 gram of finished powder = approx. 54.5mg distillate

Normally I make 25mg distillate candies which are perfect for me ad I have a low tolerance for edibles (but high tolerance for smokables).

I am testing now approx. 27.5mg dose. Mixed in 1oz of cold Irish cream.

It blended much better than with warm water although that test was only MCT, no lecithin or distillate.
Zero taste, and it improved the mouth-feel of the irish cream, made it even creamier.

Overall it took less than 30 min to go from raw distillate to ready-to-drink.

Tomorrow I will try in a latte, more or less depending on how the effects are tonight.

Last edited by JRace; 01-10-2021 at 06:47 PM..
JRace is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2021, 06:06 AM #29
JRace

Indeed the onset is quicker than edibles.
15-20 min before noticeable effects.

My 25mg candies are at least 45min before noticeable effects.
And my 40mg RSO/MCT capsules take 60min.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this process.
JRace is offline Quote