Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > metadata 101: read me before uploading photos

Thread Title Search
metadata 101: read me before uploading photos Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM #21
feeblebunny

feeblebunny will become famous soon enoughfeeblebunny will become famous soon enoughfeeblebunny will become famous soon enough
Here is a simple one for linux to remove all metadata: exiv2 -d a *.JPG
feeblebunny is offline Quote

Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 PM #22
lalstalls

lalstalls will become famous soon enough
I do remove my EXIF data, and check that it's erased using a web tool.

But while I agree that relying on a third party (like ICM) to remove the data is unwise, I have no idea what ICM's rationale for leaving EXIF data intact could be - especially given how easy it is to remove it using server-side scripts.

I know the site is privately operated, and so I would not complain about this. But hopefully ideas offered in a friendly spirit and in the interest of all users will be entertained.

Thanks for a great site!
lalstalls is offline Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 03:23 AM #23
stewart169

stewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond repute
This is an older thread but for casual users like me this is what I do. Use a digital camera. I just upgraded to a sweet Cannon. Load pics on my machine and I have a photobuck account with a gmail address that contains no personal info. Use photobucket to post pics on sites like this. I presume I'm fairly safe. My digital cam has no info other than the date. I hope.
stewart169 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 AM #24
HemperorsKnight

Are there any photoshop applications available ?

Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 AM #25
SilentFeet
Banned

SilentFeet is a jewel in the roughSilentFeet is a jewel in the roughSilentFeet is a jewel in the roughSilentFeet is a jewel in the roughSilentFeet is a jewel in the roughSilentFeet is a jewel in the rough
The problem is not the data in the pics, the problem is the site administrators and moderators who can see your ip address, and with a quick internet search can see who you are and where you live.
Then they can put our address into google maps and see pictures for your house.
Then they can do a reverse phone book search and find your phone number.
Then they can google your name and find out all about you, and heavens help you if you are facebook.

That's why I deleted my photo's.

If they want me to post photo's of plants, then they must implement a system where your Ip address can't be see.
SilentFeet is offline Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 PM #26
Ready4

Ready4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud ofReady4 has much to be proud of
Happy New Year ! Looking for help or tips on loading photos.
Ready4 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:57 PM #27
wwoww

wwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nicewwoww is just really nice
Use Mat it stands for meta data anonymization tool and change pictures to png it does not support exif
wwoww is offline Quote