What's new

Pouring oil onto parchment paper? Do's & Dont's???

FuriousOGK

Im in little dispute with a coworker and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to pour the oil onto parchment paper. I'm for pouring thin films as you'd think it would purge residuals faster and more efficiently, lighter colors, and the swiss cheese look, etc. As for my coworker, they think it doesn't matter how much you pour onto the piece of parchment. Dosent think the thickness of the slab has much to do with purge tech although the purge times are longer as the slab is much thicker. "giant slabs" he says.

my thoughts for thin pours are as i said above, the time it takes to purge is less than if it was thick...calls for flipping less as a thin film has less of a resistance for solvent to escape. While thick slabs take more times to flip as it takes longer for the residual solvent to traverse from side to side...and as well as lighter colors due to the reduced time purging in oven?

up until recently, i have been pouring a columns worth of oil onto 1 piece of parchment paper. (e.g. 2 columns, 2 pieces of parchment paper). Depending on the yield of the run, especially when it fills the entire tray (we have a 4.4 cubic ft AI elite series) it overflows onto tray and thats a mess i don't need to explain, but our purge times are on average about 5-6 days... sometimes a week if really needed... i find that very inefficient as we can no longer run when oven is full, and we have to wait a week at times to let extract finish purging...

we have our oven set @ 94 degrees F and don't change it as we only have 1 oven... from start to finish its kept at 94 degrees. and sometimes even after a weeks purge it still tastes like there is a good amount of residuals left in extract. can this be due to the large and thick slabs? not getting enough exposure?

Any insight to this would be uber!
Constructional criticism appreciated!

Please and Thank You all! :tiphat:

Zipsort

First of all, you need to up your oven temp. A weeks purge is pretty ridiculous, we get ours done in 4-12 hours usually (with tests to prove it)

And you're very correct, thinner slabs are easier and quicker to purge. Thats why most big producers have so many ovens.. more shelf space = more thinner slabs, quicker.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im in little dispute with a coworker and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to pour the oil onto parchment paper. I'm for pouring thin films as you'd think it would purge residuals faster and more efficiently, lighter colors, and the swiss cheese look, etc. As for my coworker, they think it doesn't matter how much you pour onto the piece of parchment. Dosent think the thickness of the slab has much to do with purge tech although the purge times are longer as the slab is much thicker. "giant slabs" he says.

my thoughts for thin pours are as i said above, the time it takes to purge is less than if it was thick...calls for flipping less as a thin film has less of a resistance for solvent to escape. While thick slabs take more times to flip as it takes longer for the residual solvent to traverse from side to side...and as well as lighter colors due to the reduced time purging in oven?

up until recently, i have been pouring a columns worth of oil onto 1 piece of parchment paper. (e.g. 2 columns, 2 pieces of parchment paper). Depending on the yield of the run, especially when it fills the entire tray (we have a 4.4 cubic ft AI elite series) it overflows onto tray and thats a mess i don't need to explain, but our purge times are on average about 5-6 days... sometimes a week if really needed... i find that very inefficient as we can no longer run when oven is full, and we have to wait a week at times to let extract finish purging...

we have our oven set @ 94 degrees F and don't change it as we only have 1 oven... from start to finish its kept at 94 degrees. and sometimes even after a weeks purge it still tastes like there is a good amount of residuals left in extract. can this be due to the large and thick slabs? not getting enough exposure?

Any insight to this would be uber!
Constructional criticism appreciated!

Please and Thank You all! :tiphat:

I don't recommend pouring, though it is a common practice. I prefer to recover the material as cotton candy, stir it into a powder chilled, and spread it evenly on the parchment.

We backfill with nitrogen and when we open the pot, it is below 10% of LEL.

prune

Veteran
No matter how you get the material on parchment, thick slabs and low purge temps are really delusional. Under those conditions the material forms an almost impermeable pellicle that seals all but the most industrious volatiles within the slab. Flipping exposes a new wetted surface, but thirty minutes later you're back to a sealed surface.

Run your films either thin enough or hot enough so that the work is completed in time to accept the next days production. Spending more time in the oven does not alter the butane/terp volatilization ratio enough to warrant the real estate...