What's new

Advice for trying the RSO technique

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks. I took apart the hair straightener I have to remove the two aluminum plates. While small, they are large enough to accommodate a single nugget after hand pressing to flatten a bit.

I plan to afix these to some larger blocks after a bit of milling to provide even pressure where these plates have their indentations. At least it will let me test this process before investing in a whole system with controller.

Questions:

These 12 - 20 ton presses. Just how much pressure is really required to make this work? Can this be done with a smaller bench top 6 ton?

Heat? How much is required? These two plates are putting out around 220 degrees right off the AC outlet. I can regulate with a reostat, if needed.

those 20 ton ones are good if you want to keep your PSI up using large plates, you get about the same pressure on big plates with a big press as you do body weight pressing a 1" square in the hair iron

those 20 ton ones are good if you want to keep your PSI up using large plates, you get about the same pressure on big plates with a big press as you do body weight pressing a 1" square in the hair iron

Ok, I see. The bigger the plate surface area the more "tonnage" of pressure needed to squeeze out the oil.

Presumably, there is a mathematical way to compute this, but I see your point. Thanks!

That being the case, the 6 ton bench press from HF is looking pretty good.

MedicalMilitia

I'd like to try making canabis oil using the so-call Rick Simpson RSO technique.

That means I will need to freeze my flower, freeze the grain alcohol then submerge the flower in the GA. Strain the spent flower then heat the remaining liquid in a rice cooker.

The final results will then be placed on a coffee cup warmer (a constant low heat) until the residual GA has evaporated.

Simple enough and since I do not have the background nor the equipment to do this any other way, worth a try for me, at least.

So my question is this. Since I will be saturating the flower with GA, is it necessary to dry and cure the flower or can I go straight from the harvest to making the oil. That is, will I lose any potency this way?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

For RSO you need to bring it high enough for the solvent to boil off. Once there is zero bubbling left in, and zero activity whatsoever, this means you have achieved complete decarboxylation and purged residual solvents.

herbgreen

Veteran
Watched the video, he says "low temp" several times but never actually states what the temperature is.

Any idea?

Yeah, I think its 170-190F something like that...

But remember in that video he is pressing bubble hash...temps are lower and he has a heavy press

Without a heavy press like that and flowers people are using higher temps like 330f

I think with a heavy press and flower 230F

Theres also a company called "lowtemp" that makes heated plates and a spring loaded cage that works with any hydraulic press

I happened to run across that video again and it shows how easy the process is and shows the terp tubes. I like thoughs stainless steel tubes you can load up and press

herbgreen

Veteran
the twist press in this video has up to 5000lbs but on 2-4" plate which is alot of pressure for a manual press The drop handle style manual presses only 1000lbs

the more pressure the better I think the better result and less heat needed equals better product

Maybe look for twist press to pair with high quality plates or all in one manual twist units...this is just one brand but shows the different style presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZUnMVc064

So many companies are offering up these presses but little information on exactly how to use them... What temperature, what pressure and for how long.

Not a big deal if you have pounds of material to play with. Not so great if all you have is a couple of ounces, at most. That's my issue.