What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponics/HPA questions

Bloods

Greetings my fellow forum members,

I have some questions regarding aeroponics and since there is no(or atleast none that i can find)seperate thread for aeroponics i will post them here and if there is a seperate thread please redirect me...

The first question would be regarding root chamber size.
There is litle to no data avaible other then a ''rule of thumb'' i found on one forum bosted by one member, where the depth of a chamber should be a few centimeters shorter then the plants height(if not trained) and gave as an example about 80cm depth of the root chamber to 100cm plant size whitch i found a litle too big but please correct me if im wrong...

The second question would be regarding the water reservouir size.
In other words how much water is used during a 24h period for 1 plant(during vegetative growth and flowering if vegging for 1 month) since again the numbers vary from forum to forum...

All info is welcomed since im in the planning stages for my aeroponics system(currently on DWC)
Cheers

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
So you want to do True Aeroponics? TAG?

TAG involves roots suspended and not touching chamber walls. So that depends on how big you want to grow your plants.

Water consumption depends on size and growth phase.

You doing recirc or drain to waste?

And lastly why Aeroponics? Do you need to grow that fast or is this just for fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48D_l9OUncM (Never saw a harvest)

Bloods

Greetings there,

Yes i want to try TPA or High pressure aeroponics(HPA)

I understood that the roots should not touch any surfaces but i coudnt find any info how deep cannabis roots(in aeroponics)actually go, becuase if the roots go deep as the plant goes high that would need 2m of space for a 1mplant, whitch seems like a waste of space...

I intend on having them veg for a month as i have the best experience with that amount of time but according to the ''rule of thumb'' i found on the other website that would allmost require 3m of vertical space at the end of flowering(if not trained that is)

Why aeroponics?
Well control + cost effectivness
My grow is situated in an area without water suplly so i have to transport the water there, so im looking to use the minimum amount of water and nutrients as possible.
And thats also why i want to try HPA and not LPA , the amount of water used in a LPA even if minimum compared to a DWC system, is allot greater then a HPA system(as far as i read please feel free to correct me)
The speed up grow is just an aditional plus for me.

And why stainless steel tubing?As far as i read you could use rubermaid plastic boxes.

Drain to waste currently
As for the costs, as i see it, the money will eventually come back from the money saved on nutrients and water/water transport so thats not that big of a deal...You have to invest to profit hah

Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow out

Bloods

Oh and as far as how hard it is to setup, im having a mechanical engineer with a doctors degree helping me with the setup(once the time comes)so thats not a problem either

mushroombrew

Veteran
Greetings there,

Yes i want to try TPA or High pressure aeroponics(HPA)

I understood that the roots should not touch any surfaces but i coudnt find any info how deep cannabis roots(in aeroponics)actually go, becuase if the roots go deep as the plant goes high that would need 2m of space for a 1mplant, whitch seems like a waste of space...

I intend on having them veg for a month as i have the best experience with that amount of time but according to the ''rule of thumb'' i found on the other website that would allmost require 3m of vertical space at the end of flowering(if not trained that is)

Why aeroponics?
Well control + cost effectivness
My grow is situated in an area without water suplly so i have to transport the water there, so im looking to use the minimum amount of water and nutrients as possible.
And thats also why i want to try HPA and not LPA , the amount of water used in a LPA even if minimum compared to a DWC system, is allot greater then a HPA system(as far as i read please feel free to correct me)
The speed up grow is just an aditional plus for me.

And why stainless steel tubing?As far as i read you could use rubermaid plastic boxes.

Drain to waste currently
As for the costs, as i see it, the money will eventually come back from the money saved on nutrients and water/water transport so thats not that big of a deal...You have to invest to profit hah

Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow out

I was just saying the video is a very expensive way to do it.

How big an area are you trying to grow in? How many plants?

I have a design for a 8 x 4 x 2 ft deep HPA. Pre filters, Inline filters are a must. And RO too. Very few nutrient lines will work keep that in mind. And forget about usingany organics in HPA.

I also am considering adding an LP system on the bottom spraying up. For adding biologicals or organics. Smart idea I think.

I will use lighting egg crate 1 ft down to sort of catch roots so they don't hit the bottom.

Bloods

I was just saying the video is a very expensive way to do it.
How big an area are you trying to grow in? How many plants?
5m2 flowering
About 2,3 plants per m2 using SCROG

I have a design for a 8 x 4 x 2 ft deep HPA. Pre filters, Inline filters are a must. And RO too. Very few nutrient lines will work keep that in mind. And forget about usingany organics in HPA.
Do you have any links of your grow so i can check it out?
How long do you veg them for a 2ft deep system?
And a RO is planned so i can simply take water from the nearby river.
Im also aware but there are ''plenty'' of nutrient companies for aeroponics, the challenge is finding those apropriate for weed.
And never was a big fan of organics(other then pestecides before using chemical ones)

I also am considering adding an LP system on the bottom spraying up. For adding biologicals or organics. Smart idea I think.
I will use lighting egg crate 1 ft down to sort of catch roots so they don't hit the bottom.

As i said im not a big fan of organics(since my first atempts of hydro), but if youre going to build it please dont forget to tell me the results :biggrin:

Ass for the egg crate, talking from my vast experience in aeroponics:)tumbleweed:) i think that may help for a short whil but once the roots start acumulating on that net its just begging for some problems...

mushroombrew

Veteran
I have had many small TAG systems in the past. No current links I will try to find pics.

The system I described is one I was going to build in the future. Just a design.

But I have a new hydro container and don't need aero anymore. I get Aero growth without all the fuss.

Bloods

So how deep did the roots go in corelation with the height of the plant?
Is it really allmost a 1:1 ratio?