What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12 gavitas, will this work?

Red Bear

Opinions wanted.
16x20x8ft. 6tons of air conditioning.
Will this work with 3 ft of space between bulb and canopy?
12 gavitas at 1kw.
Low ceiling height is the concern, is 6 tons of cooling the answer?

Speed of green

6 tons is fine.

i stole this from another site but i agree with the recommendation.

A common problem i see with the DE fixtures is that people dont have the correct distance from canopy to light fixture. I seemed to find best results with this little reference i made up:

(Distance from canopy to bulb) (Light Spread) (Wattage Output)
(@ 2') (5'x4') (600-660 Watts)
(@ 2.5') (5.5' x 4.5') (660-750 Watts)
(@ 3') ( 6' x 5') (750-825 Watts)
(@ 3.5') (6.5'x5.25') (825-1000 Watts)
(@ 4' ) (7' x 5.5') (1000-1150 Watts)

Ive been messing around with the height differential and best wattage used. also helped determine a realistic canopy spread. This little chart^ isnt saying that you should butt up your spread of light side to side. Gavitas work best with cross lighting so overlapping the spread is definitely recommended. I feel that 3'-4' of canopy height is needed when running at 1000W. IMHO its over kill of light in to tight of light spread. Ive seen negative affects @ 2'-2.5' of canopy height, raising the lights helped, so does training and trellising;)
run your fixtures side by side not end to end. This utilizes the cross lighting too.

Red Bear

Thanks speed of green!

Anyone have any ideas on how to arrange the lights?
I have 9 3x6 trays. Room is now only gonna be 12x20x8ft. Side by side yes, maybe 3 rows of 4 like 1.25 lights per tray?

I need advice on co2 for that size of room,

And size of dehumidifier?
Please if anyone has run a room like this?

Drain to waste Rockwool.

Thanks

Speed of green

along each 20' wall place three trays, then another row of three trays down the center. this will leave you a 1.5' walkway.

4 lights over each row.

The room may be a bit small for 12 DE's

Red Bear

Thanknyou again speed of green!

Sounds right, maybe only 10 DE.

could use dehuey advice, 155 Quest?

And co2 advice, burner or tanks?

I REALLY appreciate any responses.
Maybe if I upload pics I will get more advice?

Speed of green

a 4 burner co2 should work fine, you would run through bottles like crazy in that room

i think 12 750's would be better, can you dial back the 1000wDE?

i worry with the 1000's you wont be able to take advantage of the whole footprint.

if you go 4 lights per row, starting at the end of the row you would hang a light every 3' 7" on center

155 quest should be fine.

Red Bear

Thank you!
Speed of green, your the only help I have gotten on this site and on this issue and i greatly appreciate it, you rock!

I can dial back the phantom d.e with the px1 controller.

Burners are new to me...

So are sealed rooms, any tips?

Speed of green

High temp shutoff is a must
keep everything clean
dont procrastinate on trellising/training
if its possible try to put your trays on wheels, working through 4' of dense canopy will kill your back.

make sure all the fittings on your co2 burner are tight and not leaking, otherwise propane will leak out and kill your crop, ask me how i know :)

make sure you build the room out of safe materials that do not off-gas.

pretty generic advice, not necessarily specific to sealed rooms.

Whats your growing medium?

Watering schedule?

plant count?

5lrootsexcel

If you only have an 8' ceiling, I would recommend just putting them on the ground the trays. The phantom de has the stupid 90* ballast design so you're going to lose 6" from the ballast alone leaving you with 7.5 feet. 7' after you take into account the 6" cube (I'm assuming you're going to use 6" cubes). That leaves you with a plant height of 3-4' so flip at 1.5' ish so don't veg too long.

I think a quest 155 might be pushing it depending on your plant count and how often you're watering.

Red Bear

Thinking 3 plants per tray, topped 3 times in veg, trellis 2nd week of flower.

6 inch rockwool on unislabs, watered 1 min every three hours, about a quart and a half per plant per day.

Canna aqua Flores

Anyone recommend a co2 burner and controller combo?
I'm looking at titan controls

5lrootsexcel

6 inch rockwool on unislabs, watered 1 min every three hours, about a quart and a half per plant per day.

Canna aqua Flores

I think you're going to need to trellis earlier than that (like trellis in veg) since you're going to want them short and squat.

I don't use burners but make sure you get the high altitude burner since you're in CO.

Speed of green

the cheapest controller titan sells, it comes pre-programmed @1500ppm, works well.

pair that with any 8 or 10 burner and you should be in business.

the quest 150 should be fine.

Mudraya

Canna aqua Flores

You might want to consider this info from Grodan in regard to both watering frequency and volume , it's a game changer for me anyways https://instagram.com/p/BX3cA8whFIr/

Also have you considered Substra? Canna recommends it for rockwool.

Red Bear

Thanks for the chart mudraya!!!

I am using canna substra, have for 5 years, brain fart
made me type aqua.

Now I'm getting into co2, any thoughts on generator vs bottles?

Also I have a propane gas fireplace, does anyone think using that at lights off could cause herms from the light of the flame?

Recommend a heater for lights out that's Electric?

Thanks all