What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

onavelzy vs. Aspen - rootin tootin christmas 2017!!!

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
ill share my methods too i reckon. i have a 25 site clone king. i cut clones at a 45 degree angle, right below a node if i can, clipping part of the node at the top of the cut. i try to take bigger cuts that are 5" or so. i put a capful of liquid clonex in the cloner with bubbled city water. i get roots starting around ten days and usually let them get pretty rooted in the cloner. in 10-14 days ive usually got some ropes. from there they go into solo cups filled with leftover soil from my moms, sometimes mixed with fresh soil, sometimes only fresh soil. they prefer dirt from recycled root balls, i think the air from all the roots in the dirt helps them get established. my temps are 70 - 77 in veg RH stays around 60-65

onavelzy

Veteran
Today is day 20 from initial cutting, day 10 from going into coco.

I mentioned I'm using two different cups to see how they do, since some of the inital discussion that led to this was about whether early air pruning of seedlings makes a difference.

Three sets of clear solo cups vs ventilated plastic cups (Note: both cups sit inside a blue solo cup in the veg area to minimize light effect on the roots):

Set 1 D20 from cutting, D10 from coco
picture.php

Set 2
picture.php

Set 3
picture.php

Here's a 1 g pot of TW using one of those ventilated cups. I don't want to un-pot a 1 g solid pot just to see the roots for comparison at this stage because I think it would be disruptive and I'm trying to get some cuts taken.

picture.php

these plants have been in these larger pots around two weeks but I have not been very good about marking dates in my veg area.

I doubt I'll have that density of roots for the contest plants by Christmas, which is d 28 for me, my understanding of our time limit.

I have been keeping the ventilated cups inside of a round 1 g pot. The medium would dry out a lot faster if I didn't and then there would be differences in nutrients given etc. due to having to water those plants more often. I don't know if I'd get better density of roots within the rootball or not if I didn't use an outer pot. Maybe I'll look at that If I decide to keep using the vented the pots.

As you can imagine, the pots with ventilated sides are not easy to get off the plants if the roots are much greater than this. For that matter, getting root bound plants out of solo cups results in a fair amount of peripheral root trauma as well. Airpots are a much simpler pot to transplant from. They cost a lot more though and take up more room than either of these two styles of cups, especially if someone were to be running 30 or 40 clones at a time in a relatively small closet veg area, hypothetically speaking.

I plan on trying to saw the plants in half at the end to see the roots within the root ball. I can also do a wash out of the medium but when I've done that, they've just ended up looking like something that a cat just threw up.

Then I'm back to where I was this weekend with a full veg area. Had to drive a bit Saturday to get my previous extra ATW clones to another grower. Drove a little more than that the previous weekend to meet Grizz, aka The Godfather. I'm all drove out. Maybe some of the kids' friends home for the holidays will be inspired to take one or two home

DelTaco

Hell yeah those roots look sweet Ona, nice work. I especially like the roots in that last picture. ��

onavelzy

Veteran
four weeks in, put up time

four weeks in, put up time

8 days ago, the two different cups roots looked like this in their 10-12 oz containers:

picture.php

tonight, d28, in one gallon containers (or whatever size that is--the nursery guy told me they were 1 gallon pots but they only hold 1/2 gallon of water), set 1 looks like this:

picture.php

Of the vented pots, this one had the best development imo:

picture.php

I didn't unpot all of the square pots with solid walls as I doubt they looked a whole lot different than the first set and I'm going to give these clones away.

I did cut the first set in half to see what the internal root ball looked like, but the visual effect is very unimpressive since the roots didn't stand out as bright white. I also washed out as much of the coco as I could in the ones I cut in half. The solid cups had the longer threads of roots but the vented cups had a more dense root ball. If decision making comes down to those kinds of details, I have the pics in my "Flowers and other non cannabis topics" album.

I don't know how they will compare to Aspen's work but I thought that was pretty good growth for 8 days

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ona.... you got me on this round hands down.... you win... my clone solution went to shit separates and falls out of suspension even changing to solution every few days.... we need to do this again...

onavelzy

Veteran
Ona.... you got me on this round hands down.... you win... my clone solution went to shit separates and falls out of suspension even changing to solution every few days.... we need to do this again...

Just do a four week run once you have it back under control. Doesn't need to be concurrent with mine. No fun if you don't get to play too

Aspenou812

Veteran
OK, I think I can get 2 oz out of this grow so I should have the stakes by around mid Feb.

Silly as of this moment your clearly in the lead....
I had great runs with rooting solution I had... Now unavailable... It just fell apart and turned to sticky grey white gloops in the bottom of my res... It only took about an hour to fall out.... But It kinda coated the stems... The rockwool cubes had awful order to them and went to shit overnight after about 9 days... ThAnks MBFERTS...
I did however get all traces of the nasty stuff out of the cloner that has messed it up over time and killed tones of cuttings........ Bio Slime ....and my new stuff is here... So its time to get started up...

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
im still here!!! been busy as hell. sorry to hear about your issues aspen, ona i will devote some time to your pics asap ive gotta get my own pictures uploaded and posted...
big update in my thread