What's new

Coco issues (6/9 formula)

Not all plants are showing this but a few are. They are under LED. Fed 6/9 + 1g epsom salt twice a day as they are in small pots. I have been chasing this deficiency since they were smaller. I tried scaling feeding back on the problem plants from 1.2 EC to .9 and worked up - same problem. Dark veins, interveinal chlorosis then these brown edges form with downward hooking. Growth is not right. Temps @ 80, RH 65%. RO mixed with tap for stability pHed to 5.8. Roots look great.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
6/9 is a dogshit formula for coco. Buy a real cal/mag and also buy the bloom bottle.

you're "chasing" what you're not feeding.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day SFI

Flush and test the EC and PH .
Some thing is not right .

What brand coco are you using ? Did you flush it before you used it . Is it pre buffered ?If it was a brick . Did you pre charge it with calcium to buffer it ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G `day SFI

Flush and test the EC and PH .
Some thing is not right .

What brand coco are you using ? Did you flush it before you used it . Is it pre buffered ?If it was a brick . Did you pre charge it with calcium to buffer it ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

It is good quality coco. I went from half strength 6/9 with 1g epsom to full strength. Pre-charged or not wouldn't make a difference at this stage as it is DTW and they are watered a lot with that solution. Some plants are exploding in perfect growth while a few look like that. A lot of people have had success with 6/9 so I'm trying to ride it out but environment is on point.

I also added cal/mag at half strength as I first thought it was magnesium def. Made no difference for these few plants nor does epsom salt. New growth is good then that happens when they become 3rd set from top or lower.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day SFI

Epsom Salts is Magnesium Sulphate .
Your nutes will have some both in different forms . Then adding Cal Mag your doubling up on nutes again .

Drop the Epsom Salts and foliar the cal mag if you have to use it .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

H3ad used the 6/9 with very low ppm water containing little to no calcium. He was basically using RO water.

This is a long post I wrote comparing the 6/9 to Canna. Might answer some of your questions. It's post number 16.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=278914&page=2

Thank you. I am using RO and tap at a ratio of 3 to 1. I use this to maintain a steady 5.8-6.0 pH. My tap water has has very low calcium, MG as is. Tested @ 21 ppm calcium, 4 ppm Magnesium and much less with my ratio of tap to RO. I am barely adding any calcium/mg.

These plants do look pale. The calmag experiment was done when this deficiency was underway then stopped as it did absolutely nothing positive. Out of 8 plants 3 show these symptoms while 5 look perfect. I will not feed under 6/9 and see if there is an improvement. New growth is fine then this appears below the new growth.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Not all plants are showing this but a few are. They are under LED. Fed 6/9 + 1g epsom salt twice a day as they are in small pots. I have been chasing this deficiency since they were smaller. I tried scaling feeding back on the problem plants from 1.2 EC to .9 and worked up - same problem. Dark veins, interveinal chlorosis then these brown edges form with downward hooking. Growth is not right. Temps @ 80, RH 65%. RO mixed with tap for stability pHed to 5.8. Roots look great.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75335&pictureid=1804155&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75335&pictureid=1804154&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75335&pictureid=1804153&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
It looks like a combo of N and K deficiency in early flowering. However, most likely this is because N and K what the plants are needing the most of right now, so that's how a lockout shows up and looks.

Gently flush the plants with 0.2 EC of high P/K late flowering solution, or just flowering solution.

You could also have a lack of magnesium, because of the R/O water. You can take a pinch of magnesium lime to a quart of water, let it stand for a day or so, and mix it with R/O water at 1:3 parts. That adds enough magnesium and calcium back to the water for ordinary feeding. In flower, weed needs extra magnesium, to keep the plant green and the leaves phototropic.

For watering/feeding, the most important thing is that it sits in a container next to the plants for at least an hour before use - you massively reduce watering/feeding shock by eliminating the difference in temperature between the nutrients and the pots.

These plants are not in flower. My rez is at a stable temp. I've been feeding 6/9 at full strength with .5 g epsom multiple times a day. The plants that were fine remain lush green while the problem plants look like trash. New growth remains good. I do think this is a K def.

Absolem, that is fantastic. I will have a look. Thank you.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
These plants are not in flower. My rez is at a stable temp. I've been feeding 6/9 at full strength with .5 g epsom multiple times a day. The plants that were fine remain lush green while the problem plants look like trash. New growth remains good. I do think this is a K def.
I'll bet they already have quite a few pre-flowers. Increased need for phosphorus and magnesium starts that early. And considering you're using R/O water, that has the magnesium and calcium taken out of it...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just taking a second look at the 3rd picture. There are pre-flowers breaking out all over the plant.

I think the first concern should be magnesium. It could all be a magnesium deficiency because of combined effect of R/O water and pre-flowering/early flowering, which increases the need for magnesium, as well as phosphorus.

Latest posts

Latest posts