What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weird yellow splotches

mdgg4

Phoenix I've experienced the same thing with organic when I went that route I had to ph and no more probs.

PEACE!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Water only" highly active microbial soil mixes, well conditioned, have a medium that can buffer moderate out of range pH inputs. But add enough base or acid and you have an issue.

That ain't your medium. You're in Promix with castings, feeding an acidic feed with the regularity and strength of a standard Promix feed regime of conventional bottled nutrients (some of which you are using). You hardly have a "microherd". Continuously applied readily available nutrients are detrimental not only to the diversity but size of a microbe populations in the rhizosphere.

I have read everything you have, and ten times more. I'm not trying to brag about the amount of time I waste reading forums, but let's say, if you've read it, so have I.

I have seen what un-pH'd organic feeds will do to plants in mild organic soils. As have others here, both of who sound more experienced.

And we're all saying the same thing.

Good luck.

Last edited:

swimman

I've been using PBP for close to two decades in soil. For the first 5 years I bought into the whole organic soil will correct the pH of anything you throw in it. I did ok not pHing my water/nutrients. But I had weird shit pop up on every run...some strains worse than others.

I finally got sick of something always going on with them, so I said what the hell and started pHing all water/nutrients I gave them to 6.5. Haven't had a problem since.

I'm not saying that the soil won't correct the pH of the water/nutrient you are running thru it. I'm just saying that in my experience, especially with PBP dropping the pH significantly, it was my problem.

If you get rid of the gnats and you still have weird splothes/spots, just try pHing your feedings on one plant thru a whole run. I'm no grow master by far, but from what I have gathered on the organic thread, most of the growers that have success with not pHing their feedings, mostly use water only, with an occasional tea. PBP is some pretty acidic stuff.

I'm using Happy Frog and LC's organic soil for the record.

What do you recommend for pH up and down? I have Earth Juice granules that I have used in the past but found they are finicky, and mine are quite old.

I will test what you guys are saying and post the results. Please do not mistake my dry attitude as holier than thou, it's just how I type.

I appreciate all the posts here, really.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I used to use EJ pH Up and Down. It's temperamental AF. Lol. I use Cyco pH Up and Advance Nutrients pH Down. They both are liquid, are very concentrated and only take very little to change the pH. I'll probably get Cyco pH Down when the AN runs out...mainly because the Cyco is easier for me to get than the AN. Both brands are good.

Wsmfp16

What do you recommend for pH up and down? I have Earth Juice granules that I have used in the past but found they are finicky, and mine are quite old.

I will test what you guys are saying and post the results. Please do not mistake my dry attitude as holier than thou, it's just how I type.

I appreciate all the posts here, really.

When using EJ you really have to crush it up and make sure there are none of the chunks in there. Then find the smallest measure you can and figure out just how much that changes the PH. This way you have a constant measure that drops or raises by x amount and go from there. My 2 cents.

swimman

When using EJ you really have to crush it up and make sure there are none of the chunks in there. Then find the smallest measure you can and figure out just how much that changes the PH. This way you have a constant measure that drops or raises by x amount and go from there. My 2 cents.

Yeah it must be the difference in size of the granules that creates such a headache for using them. A more accurate method may be weighing out amounts of the stuff as opposed to taking teaspoons or what have you of it.

swimman

I used to use EJ pH Up and Down. It's temperamental AF. Lol. I use Cyco pH Up and Advance Nutrients pH Down. They both are liquid, are very concentrated and only take very little to change the pH. I'll probably get Cyco pH Down when the AN runs out...mainly because the Cyco is easier for me to get than the AN. Both brands are good.

A couple questions for you sir;

Do you recycle your soil or do you find the salt build up of botanicare is too great to allow this?

Do you flush with botanicare?

There's a lot of conflicting information about botanicare on the web and that may be due to their ever changing formula and expanding line of nutrients.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I don’t recycle soil. I've always thought about it but haven't tried yet. I find PBP is really hard to burn the plants. So I don’t think salt build up would be a problem as long as you are getting decent runoff with your waters.

I really don’t ever flush using Botanicare. I use 15ml/gal of PBP and 5ml/gal of Calmag pHed to 6.5 every watering (beginning of veg thru bloom) until the last 2weeks. I then use straight water pHed to 6.5 until harvest.

Americangrower

Veteran
My guess is Low PH in soil and its from the Gnatrol drench, that stuff will drop it to 5 in a second its what I use for ph down. I use Potassium bicarbonate for up

G

I am currently growing a couple E Glue plants in organic soil in smartpots. They are two totally different phenos. One is short and much darker and looks like a white pheno and one is tall and lanky and looks like a glue pheno. The Glue pheno plant has had about 50% of the leaves like this since about week 4 of veg. She is still growing and now at day 32 of flower filling out. Disclaimer this is my first grow of this strain. I do NOT have gnats. Or any other bugs. My soil report from Spectrum shows a sulfur level of m3-ppm of 2318 which seems pretty high. PH 6.3 and I have added some extra Gypsum and steamed bone meal after the report and before I planted in this soil. First run on it. This plant also seems to be hungry and wanting more P. I have been feeding both liquid bone meal and liquid kelp along with top dress of Kelp and Worm Power and ground rye along with aloe and coconut in the RO water. I will try to throw up some fresh pics that show my leaves like this. I have no clue what it is but she is still doing fairly well. This is also a mainline style grow with 8 colas per plant. This week they get a full dose of liquid bone meal and liquid Kelp and next week liquid Kelp only and then its water only with a little aloe and coconut for one week and then plain RO water till harvest. Dont know if thats right but we shall see.

Here are a few pics. The plant on the left is obviously the glue pheno and the right is the darker squater "the white" pheno I think from pics of other "The White" plants I can find. Didnt mean to pick them this way when I had to choose from 4 seedlings to keep 2 to grow out. Obviously I dont have room for all 4. I thought they looked like the same pheno but in a solo cup at two weeks I suppose it can be hard to tell for a newer grower like myself.

I wish I knew for sure why the leaves on the left plant are doing this. However she is growing pretty well I think and hope she starts packing on weight.

For the OP not trying to step in your thread but I am having the same issue as I hope you can see.

Last edited:

Americangrower

Veteran
I am currently growing a couple E Glue plants in organic soil in smartpots. They are two totally different phenos. One is short and much darker and looks like a white pheno and one is tall and lanky and looks like a glue pheno. The Glue pheno plant has had about 50% of the leaves like this since about week 4 of veg. She is still growing and now at day 32 of flower filling out. Disclaimer this is my first grow of this strain. I do NOT have gnats. Or any other bugs. My soil report from Spectrum shows a sulfur level of m3-ppm of 2318 which seems pretty high. PH 6.3 and I have added some extra Gypsum and steamed bone meal after the report and before I planted in this soil. First run on it. This plant also seems to be hungry and wanting more P. I have been feeding both liquid bone meal and liquid kelp along with top dress of Kelp and Worm Power and ground rye along with aloe and coconut in the RO water. I will try to throw up some fresh pics that show my leaves like this. I have no clue what it is but she is still doing fairly well. This is also a mainline style grow with 8 colas per plant. This week they get a full dose of liquid bone meal and liquid Kelp and next week liquid Kelp only and then its water only with a little aloe and coconut for one week and then plain RO water till harvest. Dont know if thats right but we shall see.

Here are a few pics. The plant on the left is obviously the glue pheno and the right is the darker squater "the white" pheno I think from pics of other "The White" plants I can find. Didnt mean to pick them this way when I had to choose from 4 seedlings to keep 2 to grow out. Obviously I dont have room for all 4. I thought they looked like the same pheno but in a solo cup at two weeks I suppose it can be hard to tell for a newer grower like myself.

I wish I knew for sure why the leaves on the left plant are doing this. However she is growing pretty well I think and hope she starts packing on weight.

For the OP not trying to step in your thread but I am having the same issue as I hope you can see.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75222&pictureid=1805266&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75222&pictureid=1805269&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75222&pictureid=1805267&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75222&pictureid=1805270&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75222&pictureid=1805271&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I would guess its a copper deficiency from RO water. Do you have well water or city. If well just feed plant that.

swimman

I don’t recycle soil. I've always thought about it but haven't tried yet. I find PBP is really hard to burn the plants. So I don’t think salt build up would be a problem as long as you are getting decent runoff with your waters.

I really don’t ever flush using Botanicare. I use 15ml/gal of PBP and 5ml/gal of Calmag pHed to 6.5 every watering (beginning of veg thru bloom) until the last 2weeks. I then use straight water pHed to 6.5 until harvest.

Do you ever have issues with micro nutrients? I'm along the lines of what you're doing as well, the 5ml/gal every watering being a must with RO water.

I have Earth Juice Microblast and may try adding 5ml/gal every watering as well.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I'm actually using tap water. But obviously it is hella low on calcium. I've tried to slowly drop the calmag down and even at 4ml/gal, I start to see calcium spots.

I've never had any issues with micros. Only if pH is off. I wouldn't think the Microblast would hurt anything. I used to use Liquid Karma. Here lately, I’ve cut out additives that don’t seem to make a difference, especially in flower. Like I use 2ml/gal of Silica Blast in veg, but stop using it when they go into bloom. The other additives never hindered anything, but when I stopped using them, they made no difference. Not saying they wouldn’t make a difference in somebody elses grow, but they didn't do much in mine. It's all about what works in your grow. That’s why it is hard to give solid advice by just lookin at pics and data. Without actually running the setup, you're pretty much giving advice on what works in your grow.

swimman

If anyone is still checking this thread, I have since switched to RO water and have been pHing to 6.5. I recently transferred one gallon pots to five gallon, and they're looking pretty great except for this necrosis going on, it looks like a calcium def to me but they're getting 5 ml/gal every watering and have about 1.5 cup of powdered dolomite per cubic foot of soil so I'm not sure what's going on! They're about 60 days old, they had a terrible start and were revived from the brink of death.

The one gallon pots I currently have are about half that, 30 days or so and are showing much more advanced symptoms than their elders, while receiving the same feeding (keeping it at 7.5ml/gal of Botanicare Grow + 5ml/gal Cal-Mag) and in the same soil. They are exhibiting similar necrosis spots as well as chlorosis and purpling veins, which sounds like a magnesium deficiency to me.

One of my biggest complaints about growing cannabis is consistency!! Any thoughts on these? I may just make a new thread if no one is still viewing.

Attachments

• IMAG0505.jpg
    IMAG0505.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0504.jpg
    IMAG0504.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0503.jpg
    IMAG0503.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0509.jpg
    IMAG0509.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 8

swimman

Discovered what the source of my problems was: Nitrogen Toxicity.

Nitrogen toxicity antagonizes uptake of Calcium... By trying to correct the resulting deficiency (via lockout), Calcium, I was adding additional levels of Nitrogen (CalMag has 2% Nitrogen) and possibly too much Calcium, which could have resulted in lockout of Potassium, Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Boron, Phosphorus, Zinc... Wow!

Flushed the plants in my first post with water ranging from 6.5-7.0 pH and runoffs were all between 6.0-6.5, the Claw has disappeared. Also discovered my tap water has a ppm of 30 and a pH of 7.15, so no more wasting my time with RO. Gaining knowledge feels good.

Attachments

• ANTAGONISMS.png
    ANTAGONISMS.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Latest posts