What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants dying overnight

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
No need to fear bleach, I add some to my cloning water to kill molds and fungi.
Keep tabs on the PH though.
That NaOH residue will raise it fast.
And bleach has a very high PH to begin with.

Kirkland, unscented, dryer sheets will repel root aphids for you.
I have had no R.A.s, no thrips, and no fungus gnats for 4 years now using only dryer sheets to cover the surface of your soil/coco. They are a barrier and a repellent.

And the tiny, thin, whiteflies all flew away when I put an inch of worm castings on my soil under the sheets.
Now all I worry about is P.M. and those big, fat, white flies.

Thanks for this thread. Solved a mystery for me about a sudden death in coco, 4 years ago.

Aloha,
Weeze

issack

Veteran
Johnny.!! How are you man. Haven't seen you in a few years. I don't go to the brew meetings anymore.. as you know I quit drinking over a year ago. Life is much better this way. Lol
The dryer sheets is interesting for sure. I'll give you a ring to talk more about it.

Yep i did the bleach spray.. all is looking fine. Was the most odd thing I've ever done in my grow experience. Mushroombrew helped a ton with this.!!.

DunHav`nFun

Protekt and silicablast are the same thing bro , potassium silicate....and yeah....I apologize for forgetting about driptubing placement "away" from the mainstems , but as long as you `ve found the problem , it`s all pretty much downhill from here and you`ll be golden....drip rings work best but I used open ended driptubing with basket "sprayer" stakes that kept feed toward outsides of containers 360 , but many ways ta skin a mule.....so....

Thanks for your time and honest show , and keep up the due diligence , especially in jungle environment even if it is paradise.....My clone factory guys in SoCal built a "clean room" yrs ago before entering their facility with neg pressure and Tyvek suits they changed into to work the plantlings for laboratory conditions.....and lastly....

Get rid of all the leaves that`ve been droppin cuz guaranteed that`s where airborn pathogens begin from decaying plant matter....anyways.....8 days and counting.....Good luck and.....

Peace.....DHF....:ying:.....

Junk

This happened on my last run. Plant will start yellowing super fast and within 2 days it just dies. This is with pineapple chunk. I had to pull early last run cause about 4 plants died and one was all the way in the back and impossible to extract.
I'm thinking heat stress.? My temps are kinda high. 85 86 with co2. But above the canopy I'm sure it's hotter. This is at 36 days flower. The mountain apple OG on the left you can see the leaves starting to yellow where the hot spot is from the light. And the pineapple chunk on the right there is hardly any yellow leaves. I have a 18k mini split running now for 8k of lights .. and a 36k btu in the box waiting to go in for the next run.. So will a plant just up and die in a matter of 24 hours due to heat stress.? There is no burnt curled leaves anywhere. Idk the only thing I can think is heat stress. And when the leaves start to yellow. It's like within hours it gets all the way totally yellow. This plant was fine yesterday when lights were on.. I go in this morning at lights off and this plant was dead.. that fast it happens.. I have no pests. No RAs no mites no nothing in this room. My first time ever in all my years of growing this has happened. But this is the first time I've ever had temps this hot too.

First off, nice room. I did a run like that but what a pain to access them after.

Have you checked your PH? Water temps? Air pumps/water pumps? Drains? Everything physical. Almost like you were setting it up for the first time. Sometimes it can be something stupid.

For all the following, I'm RDWC and co2.

I've tried to kill a plant from heat stress (2 actually) but couldn't do it. It hermied, but wouldn't die. It fox tailed, but wouldn't quit. This was under a Sun System Epic hood which is super hot. I kept it at 97* for over a week. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely at 86*

This happened on my last run. Plant will start yellowing super fast and within 2 days it just dies.
Are the plants in the same spot? If so, what is it about that spot?

If you are in tubs, is it always the plant nearest the drain? Or any other commonality?

Plant will start yellowing super fast and within 2 days it just dies.
What kind of yellowing? Do you have pics of it? Is it top to bottom? Just the top? Just the bottom? Spotted yellow?

Is it possibly a finicky cut?

My temps are kinda high. 85 86 with co2. But above the canopy I'm sure it's hotter.
That should be fine. Not ideal, but probably not the problem. Strains vary, but yours don't look terribly hot. I'll try to find a pic of one I tried to kill. I would move your hygro near to the plants that have the problem and check the temps there, just to be sure. At canopy, and below canopy.

You have such a thick canopy, and a warm room, air can get trapped underneath and overheat your water, or the root zone. Or mold starts bc of the humidity etc. What I'm trying to say is that with that room the way it is, you can theoretically have two very different atmospheric conditions. What is it below the canopy? Is their air movement down there?

This is at 36 days flower. The mountain apple OG on the left you can see the leaves starting to yellow where the hot spot is from the light. And the pineapple chunk on the right there is hardly any yellow leaves.
I will have to look again when I finish posting

I have a 18k mini split running now for 8k of lights .. and a 36k btu in the box waiting to go in for the next run..
I'm actually amazed the 18k is covering that much heat in an open bulb situation. But I don't think the heat stress to the canopy is the cause.

And when the leaves start to yellow. It's like within hours it gets all the way totally yellow.

Then it's not atmospheric heat above the plants. It doesn't die that quickly. The plant will lumber along for a while, visibly uncomfortable. Something is killing the plant that you can't see. If it's yellowing that fast, it's essentially already dead. The ultimate cause of death came earlier, you are just witnessing the process.

I'm not familiar with your medium, but is the heat causing your water to be too hot? Can you smell/access the root zone?

Does your medium have problems with root aphids? Or root rot? Or has an air pump stopped working so the plant is drowning?

Dying/yellowing that fast...I would be looking at the root zone as the probable source of the problem. Leaves won't behave like that unless something is drastically wrong below deck. Or it's a retarded cut (I've had those too).

Assuming the cut is fine, plants don't just die like that. Something drastic has to happen. Drowning, choking (nute lock) suffocating (nearby plants), insects, mold.. It takes me weeks to get a plant to yellow (for the flush) You are saying it happens in hours. Something that drastic, if the cause was above ground, you would have noticed it by now.

Attachments

• 20151029_083345.jpg
    20151029_083345.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 12

mushroombrew

Veteran
First off, nice room. I did a run like that but what a pain to access them after.

Have you checked your PH? Water temps? Air pumps/water pumps? Drains? Everything physical. Almost like you were setting it up for the first time. Sometimes it can be something stupid.

For all the following, I'm RDWC and co2.

I've tried to kill a plant from heat stress (2 actually) but couldn't do it. It hermied, but wouldn't die. It fox tailed, but wouldn't quit. This was under a Sun System Epic hood which is super hot. I kept it at 97* for over a week. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely at 86*

Are the plants in the same spot? If so, what is it about that spot?

If you are in tubs, is it always the plant nearest the drain? Or any other commonality?

What kind of yellowing? Do you have pics of it? Is it top to bottom? Just the top? Just the bottom? Spotted yellow?

Is it possibly a finicky cut?

That should be fine. Not ideal, but probably not the problem. Strains vary, but yours don't look terribly hot. I'll try to find a pic of one I tried to kill. I would move your hygro near to the plants that have the problem and check the temps there, just to be sure. At canopy, and below canopy.

You have such a thick canopy, and a warm room, air can get trapped underneath and overheat your water, or the root zone. Or mold starts bc of the humidity etc. What I'm trying to say is that with that room the way it is, you can theoretically have two very different atmospheric conditions. What is it below the canopy? Is their air movement down there?

I will have to look again when I finish posting

I'm actually amazed the 18k is covering that much heat in an open bulb situation. But I don't think the heat stress to the canopy is the cause.

Then it's not atmospheric heat above the plants. It doesn't die that quickly. The plant will lumber along for a while, visibly uncomfortable. Something is killing the plant that you can't see. If it's yellowing that fast, it's essentially already dead. The ultimate cause of death came earlier, you are just witnessing the process.

I'm not familiar with your medium, but is the heat causing your water to be too hot? Can you smell/access the root zone?

Does your medium have problems with root aphids? Or root rot? Or has an air pump stopped working so the plant is drowning?

Dying/yellowing that fast...I would be looking at the root zone as the probable source of the problem. Leaves won't behave like that unless something is drastically wrong below deck. Or it's a retarded cut (I've had those too).

Assuming the cut is fine, plants don't just die like that. Something drastic has to happen. Drowning, choking (nute lock) suffocating (nearby plants), insects, mold.. It takes me weeks to get a plant to yellow (for the flush) You are saying it happens in hours. Something that drastic, if the cause was above ground, you would have noticed it by now.

Wow nice response junk. Nice to see people taking so much time helping others.

We believe its fusarium wilt. He found plants with stinky rot at the base of stem. Roots were healthy otherwise.

Junk

Good...

Good...

Wow nice response junk. Nice to see people taking so much time helping others.

We believe its fusarium wilt. He found plants with stinky rot at the base of stem. Roots were healthy otherwise.

Ok

This forum is a lil harder to post right bc the threads are huge. Your response will be off topic unless you read 10 pages. You can't really skim.

Glad he figured it out.

issack

Veteran
Protekt and silicablast are the same thing bro , potassium silicate....and yeah....I apologize for forgetting about driptubing placement "away" from the mainstems , but as long as you `ve found the problem , it`s all pretty much downhill from here and you`ll be golden....drip rings work best but I used open ended driptubing with basket "sprayer" stakes that kept feed toward outsides of containers 360 , but many ways ta skin a mule.....so....

Thanks for your time and honest show , and keep up the due diligence , especially in jungle environment even if it is paradise.....My clone factory guys in SoCal built a "clean room" yrs ago before entering their facility with neg pressure and Tyvek suits they changed into to work the plantlings for laboratory conditions.....and lastly....

Get rid of all the leaves that`ve been droppin cuz guaranteed that`s where airborn pathogens begin from decaying plant matter....anyways.....8 days and counting.....Good luck and.....

Peace.....DHF....:ying:.....

Thank you bro.. I appreciate your knowledge and input. you helped bring a lot of things to light for prevention for this. I'm just having to think a head and address all the steps to keep my plants to end harvest. So hard in the tropics. Everything is times 10 here.!! But I got this. And yes it's down hill. Next run I'll be prepared and start at a new approach with this Fusarium in mind.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
are you planning a flush to end the run?

how are the trichome heads developing, they gonna be finished as planned?

issack

Veteran
I'm using Mills nutrients. So my flush doesn't have to be so extreme as I would do with full chem nutes. I'm very impressed with how much frost has developed with Mills nutrients. Compaired to flora nova that used before. I'll snap some pics in a bit and try and get some good shots up close. They are ripening well and swelling up big time. No more dead plants yet.!! One that's was next to the sick one though is yellowing bad so she might go any minute. I'm going to do another stalk bleaching spray today as well. Got pro tekt in the rez and bumped up my sm90 to 5 mills from 2. Stopped with the bio war teas. So just hoping for the best. I taper off with ppms with my feeds. So gradually I will go down each time I change my res as I top off water everyday and go down to about 300 200 PPM before Harvest. That way it's not just water feeds for 4 or 5 days. I have been doing this for a while and my end results are a good clean smoke and finish after cure.
I have a curing room with dehumidifiers. I have set at 60%. Takes about 12 days then trim. Then I jar it in half gallons ( lots of them ) and cure for another week or 2 in a 55 degrees environment. I have a massive double door fridge that is set at 55f that i only store and jar cure my herb in.

Last edited:

issack

Veteran
Gaiusmarius. Here are some shots. Not the best. Cell phone flashlight action lol .

Mountain Apple OG

picture.php

picture.php

Pineapple chunk.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

6 more days is my bare minimum earliest projection to harvest. so if I don't have any die within six days I'm still going to let them go.. I have the mindset of expecting the worst hoping for the best here.. So hopefully I can squeeze in some more days after 6 is up.!!

Last edited:

issack

Veteran
Do you know what the cause is? This is your second bout with it no?

Not being diligent enough with my cleanings and cleaning my res well. My airflow wasn't Optimum under the plants which I fixed.. also it's a little too hot in there right now when CO2 is on. I have a 36k BTU AC ready to go in soon as I harvest so I will fix that. so a lot of variables and also I live in Hawaii so I have spores and mold here x 100 compared to other places. it's the tropics and I deal with everything over here.. upping my sm90 to 5 mil a gallon. Pro tekt at 2.5 mill. I also wasn't doing very well with cleaning my storage water for my RO that goes into my res as I top off and fill up.. so a lot of lessons learned here that I will fix for next run..
Thanks for chiming in for help bro.. appreciate it.!!

Junk

Not being diligent enough with my cleanings and cleaning my res well. My airflow wasn't Optimum under the plants which I fixed.. also it's a little too hot in there right now when CO2 is on. I have a 36k BTU AC ready to go in soon as I harvest so I will fix that. so a lot of variables and also I live in Hawaii so I have spores and mold here x 100 compared to other places. it's the tropics and I deal with everything over here.. upping my sm90 to 5 mil a gallon. Pro tekt at 2.5 mill. I also wasn't doing very well with cleaning my storage water for my RO that goes into my res as I top off and fill up.. so a lot of lessons learned here that I will fix for next run..
Thanks for chiming in for help bro.. appreciate it.!!

When I was in Maui I remember thinking in so many spots, "You could grow some crazy plants here!"

But the humidity in a lot of places would ensure bud rot. Or in other places it was super dry lol. It's a funny place. Maybe veg on one side of the island, then flower them on the other side lol.

issack

Veteran
Those plants do not look fully ripe to me. Still lots of calyxes yet to swell

Oh believe me I know. It's worst case scenario if they start dying off. I will have no choice.. hoping for another 2 weeks actually.