What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am amazed how much the plants have bulked up since taking the pics 2 days ago, but I have questions

while my 3 part Emerald Harvest grow is doing fine, a problem early on, when all 4 plants showed sex ~ 3 weeks has perplexed me

I managed to ‘reveg’ for couple weeks. Plants have stretched and buds filling out beyond nicely, although most of the leafs are single blade (what causes that?)

I am wondering whether feeding frequency in the beginning could be the culprit for early sexing. Could be to many growth hormones from daily foliar feeding with Kelp. Hmmmmm

Once I transfer from starter lpa aero into F & D totes I feed every 1.5 hours to make sure the transferred roots stay moist. A caution from my old bubbleponics starter days, when roots really weren't long enough, but were hammocking, so I transferred them. Not an issue since switching to lpa aero.

I often forget to increase the pause intervals as they grow. Could this be the cause of early sexing?

It has only been in the last 2 weeks that I increased the pause to 4 hours and a few days go to 6 hours

Not sure if it’s a coincidence, but the plants have grown much faster, and buds are really bulking up, although they should at this stage anyway

Been using mid flower amounts as per the EH chart, including Golden Goddess, King Kola and Honey Comb (+ NPK RAW Aminos and Enzymes)

I have plenty of GG and KK for several more grows, but not enough Honey Comb left for one more gallon. Can I still get excellent results without it?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I texted my last post to the head chemist at EH. He says the mono blade leafs are due to reveg, which makes sense

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are pics of the Air Pots I used back in 14. I'm going to bring them back and do a drip set up in one tent next grow. The upside-down netpot lid ( to show size of the net pot) fits over the AP .

Note the size provides plenty of stone infill once the starter seedlings are ready. With this method, I don't need to wait as long for roots as I do with F & D. I cut one AP shorter to eliminate the air gap under the net pot

View attachment 453961 View attachment 453962

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back on 4/08 I discussed that I already had pistils and that the 2 plants under the SE 250 had not received proper misting due to 2 male plants large root mass in the center blocking them from getting proper feedings. I said this put the 2 smaller plants ~ a week behind the 2 under the SPYDR 600. Did my best to send them back into veg for a few weeks, though they kept budding

well, the 2 late to party girls have taken off. The one on the left (pic #5) was the runt, but damn she's blown past her sister. She looks like a twin to the one on the left under the SPYDR

Hope you can see the many bud sites

IMO not too shabby for 27 days flowering

View attachment 454260 View attachment 454261 View attachment 454264

View attachment 454262 View attachment 454263

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
More good news. The buds I pollinated have seed sacks. :jump:

So far I have not dumped the nutes, simply and slowly added bloom nutes. However, they are at the stage in bud development where a lot of crap is being dumped into the rezes. This causes EC//PPM to rise and pH to fall. I have been simply addding water and adjusting pH, but I might dump rezes just to be safe

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Perhaps the biggest eye opener is that the 2 plants under the Amare SE 250 (~ 250w actual), that were ~ 7 days behind the 2 under the SPYDR 600 (~ 360w actual) have caught up size wise, though bud development is still ~ 7 days behind. This is a blessing, as I will be harvesting a ton of buds from the first 2. By the time Im done with them, the other 2 will be ready to harvest.

The first 3 are under the 600

View attachment 455049 View attachment 455050 View attachment 455051

View attachment 455052 View attachment 455053

RockinRobot

Just as an FYI. I didn't respond to your question on lights because it had no place in the newbies thread you were hijacking.

Your light is supposed to be a direct replacement for a 600w HPS which is all I run. I even use the absolute cheapest bulbs in it and my fixtures are literally the cheapest I could find because it was all I could afford.

The pictures were of Super Silver Haze. And since I listed their time under 12/12 that automatically should tell you they aren't autos.

Now, you can blame equipment or whatever else you like for your problems, but as someone in the other thread said, if you meet nothing but assholes perhaps it's time to look in the mirror and find out why.

Remember, I originally responded to your requests for help with good intentions and an ernest interest in helping you. Its wasn't until you insulted me that you earned my contempt.

C

cooterbrown420

Just as an FYI. I didn't respond to your question on lights because it had no place in the newbies thread you were hijacking.

Your light is supposed to be a direct replacement for a 600w HPS which is all I run. I even use the absolute cheapest bulbs in it and my fixtures are literally the cheapest I could find because it was all I could afford.

The pictures were of Super Silver Haze. And since I listed their time under 12/12 that automatically should tell you they aren't autos.

Now, you can blame equipment or whatever else you like for your problems, but as someone in the other thread said, if you meet nothing but assholes perhaps it's time to look in the mirror and find out why.

Remember, I originally responded to your requests for help with good intentions and an ernest interest in helping you. Its wasn't until you insulted me that you earned my contempt.

Funniest thing is that he is going to cry to Gypsy that you are being mean to him. Never mind the fact he is popping into other threads posting off topic comments and talking shit to other members in those threads.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Funniest thing is that he is going to cry to Gypsy that you are being mean to him. Never mind the fact he is popping into other threads posting off topic comments and talking shit to other members in those threads.

You can count on it

The only reason either of you come here is to post shit

RockinRobot

You can count on it

The only reason either of you come here is to post shit

Sorry to disappoint you, and the other slanderous aholes. All my issues were due to experimentation working out various aspects to max my grows. Of course none of you bothered to read my threads to know that, which is often the case when lay ignorant people have a keyboard

View attachment 455292 View attachment 455293

Awareness? Funny that you would use that word: I will start with your high praise of the robots buds that he posted (#25) as a slam to mine, without him explaining whether it is an auto, what strain, or how many watts, which even you should realize is important when making a comparison (note the robot did not respond specifically when i called him out on that)

Again, that is absolutely untrue. Although I have seen CB troll your thread, I have never come here just to slam you. In fact, I have stayed away from it as I said I would. However, then you hijacked another newbie thread and claimed I was being slanderous towards you and that I refused to answer your question about my lights. So I came here to answer instead of continuing to pollute the poor newbie's thread.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Oh boy.....here we go again..

Can you guys just stay outa each others threads, and stop being combative towards one another?....It would surely help keep things harmonious around these parts.

I'm not taking sides nor pointing fingers, but you really all need to learn to get along.......somehow.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Again, that is absolutely untrue. Although I have seen CB troll your thread, I have never come here just to slam you. In fact, I have stayed away from it as I said I would. However, then you hijacked another newbie thread and claimed I was being slanderous towards you and that I refused to answer your question about my lights. So I came here to answer instead of continuing to pollute the poor newbie's thread.

too funny. You kept slamming me in that thread (like posting a pic that was barely more full than mine ay ~ 30 days , suggesting you were a far superior grower- or did I misconstrue your intent? lol) until "I" apologized to the OP, and said i would no longer respond to EITHER of your shit, and would leave his thread.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am happy to report that RockinRobot reached out privately, and the air has been cleared

Kudos RR! :tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oddly, well not really (plants are at that stage of bud development where a lot of dumping goes on), but both rezes > 1000ppm this morning. I double checked with a different EC/ppm meter

Cleaning and changing both rezes out with fresh nutes

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Taking pics with lights on really doesn't do the bud density any favors. I did try to shade the light with one hand while operating my 35 mm camera in the other. This over the SPYDR 600 (first 2 pics) because it does not have an O//O switch like the Amares do. On them I shut the CoBs off.

Im expecting a nice bump after cleaning and fresh nutes.

I've been thinking about my 6 hour feeding schedule: the 'problem' is that the plants only get one feeding while lights are on, now that they are under 12/12. This morning I changed it to every 4 hours

View attachment 455837 View attachment 455838

View attachment 455839 View attachment 455840

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The more I thought about lowering the flood cycles from 4 to 3, I began to think just how often can I feed. Since my medium is polished stones, which doesn't hold the nutrient as rockwool does, meaning I can easily feed 4 xs as often, and maybe 8. So, I just lowered it to every hour= 24 feedings per day. How much better can that be?

My logic comes from my ~ 2 years of growing with HPA, where each mist is ~ 0.05-1 second!. The shortest setting my Sentinel deep cyle timer is +/- 3 seconds, but it still worked, Far from ideal, but I simply increased the pause time to something like 20 or 30 minutes. Adjust by watching the plants response

The science behind HPA is to barely moisten the root system, giving it just enough food, then, assuming the root needs time to process and transport the nutrients up the plant, and be ready to feed/process again, each subsequent misting is identical 24/7. The resulting roots are incredibly delicate, looking like basketball sized cotton candy, multiplying the entire surface area probably by at least an order of ten is why HPA plants grow so fast and big

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The issue I have with hourly feeding is the solution gets warm fast. Since I have 2-3 separate f & d set ups, AFAIK it's not feasable to get a single chiller that will accommodate more than one. This means more frequent change outs of the blue ice paks, though I might try 2 in each rez. In the mean time I cut floods back to every 2 hours. If I can remember, I will go with 2 blue ice paks and hourly floods during lights on then cut back to ~ 3 hours at night