What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rollin' logs - a new way to cure your weed

Hey folks, what's up? This thread is to discuss a new way of curing cannabis, called log rolling. We will be producing a new type of cannabis product, known as logs. Come on in... :tiphat:

Let me start by giving credit to Tangwena, whose thread "Malawi style cob curing" has been inspiring. It was his thread which got me thinking of a new and better process for curing weed. His method, a modification of ancient cannabis curing practice from Malawi Africa, involves wrapping buds tightly in corn cobs, vacuum sealing them, then heating to a certain fixed temperature to "cook" them for a period of time, which results in color change (browning, darkening) and considerably improved potency and effect, especially when the cob is allowed to rest for a couple months afterward. This process also makes the weed edible, with high potency.

A link to Tangwena's thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309172

There has been some attempts in that thread to theorize why and how this works. One person helpfully suggested looking into tobacco curing practice to get some clues. After studying that subject, specifically the process of flue curing, I designed a curing barrel to try this idea on weed, with excellent results. Here this experiment is documented.

All of the details of this process are not yet worked out. There is much more experimentation needed to be done, but this thread will hopefully get the gears turning in people's heads, and we can figure this out together.

Here is one of the plants we will be working with, a nice pheno from my breeding project. The strain is called Bubba Gah and it's a cross of pre-2010 Serious Seeds Bubblegum with a unique Afghan strain called Lashkar Gah.

(I ask those of you who find this thread in the next few minutes, to please hold your comments until after I finish uploading the pictures and explaining. Thank you!)

Attachments

• 01_plant1.jpg
    01_plant1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 01_plant2.jpg
    01_plant2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 25
  • 02_buds.jpg
    02_buds.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 23
I modified a 55 gallon drum by cutting two round holes in the sides, directly across from each other, at the bottom. A propane hose goes in one hole, to a burner bought off the internet, and the other hole is a viewing port to light the flame and keep a watch on it.

After the burner was installed, a wire mesh cage was built surrounding it to create a burner chamber. Lava rocks were then piled on top of this, and leveled out, until the cage was covered.

Then more rocks were piled in around the sides, to create a crater in the middle, in which was installed a large sheet of aluminum foil. It needs to conform to the crater shape with no leaks, so that any water dripping down from above will be collected here and not be allowed to drip down on the flame.

More lava rocks are then piled in until this sheet is covered, and leveled out smooth. Then another sheet of aluminum foil (this time a flat sheet) is spread out in there, with many small holes punched in it evenly, through which water and steam can pass, also acting to spread out the steam evenly in the chamber. A final thin layer of lava rocks is then spread on top to hold everything in place.

Grates are then installed inside the barrel to hold weed. I find it better to hang whole branches rather than lay them down on a shelf.

Two pieces of wood are installed on the barrel rim for the lid to sit on, thus ensuring there is an even gap around the perimeter for steam to escape. You can see the evolution of the design from one picture to another.

Finally, a water dripper is needed to ensure a slow, steady drip of water on top of the lava rocks.

There were some problems with this design which should be corrected by future experimenters. The cage at the bottom of the barrel was a bit too weak to hold up the weight of lava rocks, and tended to try to collapse, plus the thin wires would burn through. The burner is also too large; it had to be turned down to the bare minimum setting and even then was a bit too much. Your burner should ideally be about 1/4 of the size as that one. The design did not initially include the aluminum sheets, which turned out to be a mistake, as they are needed to spread out the heat and the steam evenly in the chamber. Also, my water dripping setup was less than ideal, tending to drip too much water and being very difficult to properly adjust. You need to provide a slow, steady drip, to ensure the proper humidity level is maintained (not too low, not too high; to be discussed) without flooding the barrel.

Despite the issues, this setup yielded some great results in a short period of time, as you will see!

To start the barrel, begin by soaking down the lava rocks with a water hose. They need to be soaked good before lighting the burner, and maintained in a moist condition. The water carries and regulates the heat and spreads it out in the chamber. If the lava rocks become dried out due to insufficient drip rate or lack of foil heat/steam spreaders, it will make the temperature impossible to regulate, causing it to skyrocket out of control.

Attachments

• 04_temp.jpg
    04_temp.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 03_barrel4.jpg
    03_barrel4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 03_barrel3.jpg
    03_barrel3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 03_barrel2.jpg
    03_barrel2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 03_barrel1.jpg
    03_barrel1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 29
When you've got the rocks soaked and barrel lit, you then warm it up to the proper temperature and humidity to begin the first part of the curing process. In tobacco flue curing, they do it in stages, starting around 90* or so and gradually progressing on up to about 140*. The first stage is called coloring. This is where the leaf changes from green to brown. I believe this stage requires something like 70% humidity for best effect.

In my initial flawed design, with the too-big burner and difficult to control water drip, I was unable to maintain humidity below about 90%, especially at lower temperatures. Therefore the coloring process did not proceed like it should, however, it didn't seem to really hurt anything. I do think it is possible with the right humidity to get cannabis to color itself brown exactly like tobacco does. I also think that hanging a light down in the barrel, just a simple incandescent bulb, would improve and speed up coloring, but I'm not sure. More experimentation is needed to get this figured out. Even if the weed does not color "correctly", you can see that it does change color somewhat.

To prepare the plant, cut it into individual branches short enough to hang in the barrel without touching the lava rocks, trim off the fan leaves and the larger and uglier of the smaller leaves, and leave most of the sugar leaves intact. They won't hurt anything. Then when the barrel is at proper temp and humidity, or as close as you can get, hang them in there and start the coloring process! Ideally you should start around 90* I think and gradually increase to maybe 110*.

When the buds have colored to your satisfaction, then you turn off the water drip (maybe turn down the burner a bit also), and let the barrel dry out. When the plants dry out in the heat then they will die and the coloring process stops. This is called colorset.

When color is set, soak down the lava rocks again, restart the drip, and bring the barrel back up to temperature, and high humidity (100%, with steam coming out the barrel.) Steam them for a while so that the branches will become water-soaked and the plant tissue swollen. Now remove them from the barrel.

The pictures you see below aren't a result of the 'proper' way of doing it; these were heated at 110-120* and around 90-95% humidity, due to design issues mentioned. As you can see however they have definitely changed in a positive way.

When the colorset is done and buds are re-hydrated, the tissue will be nice and spongy. Now cut the buds off the branches and pile them up on a large piece of paper. U-Haul has big boxes of large paper sheets for $10 which is perfect for this, basically blank newspaper print. I start by folding the paper in half and laying it out, piling the buds in the middle. Now you simply roll it into a log shape, as pictured! You could then vacuum seal; I just wrapped tightly in saran wrap instead.

After wrapping the log place it in the chamber, turn the temperature up to your desired setting of 110-140* for this stage (higher temp = darker, stronger buds, shorter processing time) and let 'er rip! You'll want to go anywhere from 6-48 hours depending on temperature chosen, yielding different end results. This is (should be) where the anaerobic microbes really kick into high gear.

When the process is done, take your log out and unwrap it, and let it air dry, still in the paper. Won't take long. I think it took 2-3 days and the log was ready to smoke!

Per Tangwena's learning on this subject, after logs are dried to proper storage level they should be stored in a container and let to rest for 45-60 days to allow them to develop, however, they are smokeable as is, and what a damn fine smoke it is!

Attachments

• 06_result4.jpg
    06_result4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 06_result3.jpg
    06_result3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 06_result2.jpg
    06_result2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 29
  • 06_result.jpg
    06_result.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 05_inside.jpg
    05_inside.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 22
Picture 1 -> Pile of re-hydrated buds, after coloring

Picture 2 -> Log rolled and placed in chamber

Picture 3 -> The end result!

Well, that's basically it! Let the discussion begin. Please read Tangwena's thread from beginning to end before asking questions; the 'why' to do this is exactly the same as his process, with the same results I think. This experiment was conducted from Jan. 13th to Jan 27th of this year and those are the results. Here are some excerpts from my journal in that period, recording the results from a different pheno, #9:

29 Jan 2017 8:40 AM - sampled first bowl of the partially dried, then quick dried "high temp" #9. this stuff is GREAT! has a minty smell when broken up, burns nice, smooth good tasting smoke, excellent potent effect. not as much clarity in it so far but we'll see how it develops, and compare and contrast with the other end products. #winning

31 Jan 2017 I've been smoking the high temp #9 and this stuff is amazing. the smoke gets cleaner and smoother each day. tastes great and the potency is outstanding. if this stuff improves as much as Tangwena says it will after 2-3 months, I can't even imagine how strong it will be. I don't see these logs lasting three months to find out! as of right now, this is top shelf commercial product, right out of the box. it has some level of couch lock, not debilitating, but perfect for sitting there getting totally absorbed into something like watching a movie, playing a game, reading something, etc. one's level of focus goes way up and one tends to "zone out", but with a sense of clarity. it's really different from and much better than the usual! one would imagine that the buds would be ruined by this process but the log turned out great; looks exotic, not low grade at all, and the trimming just before rolling the log is perfect, especially when the branch is dipped in water also to make the remaining leaves wrap tightly around the buds!

What is the purpose?

So are they eaten? Seems like you are basically decarbing?

Yes, that is theorized, however someone did a test on their cob in Tangwena's thread a while back and found the bud didn't seem to be decarboxylated much. I think the reading was in error and that the bud must be decarboxylated, judging on the apparent potency when eaten. It's possible that the oxygen-free environment in presence of mild heat helps carboxylation, or maybe there is something else going on. It could be microorganisms at work. We, the cannabis community, do not know the answer yet. The effect is much different than that obtained during conventional decarboxylation, I think. :chin:

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks for this thread my friend. As you stated this is used to cure tobacco, we dont smoke or chew green dried tobacco do we?
In the Congo they cure their cobs this way so you have hit the nail on the head.
Apart from needing a flue set which is no big deal itself and would be easy if you were doing large amounts it looks easy.
Much respect brother buds in the pics look outstandingly cured and no doubt a bit of fine tuning and experimentation will bring even better results down the track.
Much respect my friend you have made another stride in the right direction for curing buds properly.

GainGreene

"Finally, a water dripper is needed to ensure a slow, steady drip of water on top of the lava rocks." This makes me laugh. BBQ buds

Tangwena

Veteran
"Finally, a water dripper is needed to ensure a slow, steady drip of water on top of the lava rocks." This makes me laugh. BBQ buds
Reserve you judgement lest you feel less than informed later on, this is based on sound practice.
open your mind

baduy

Hi Log roller! Looks very interesting and promising. Outside the box stoner thinking at it's best.
Do you by chance have any links to provide about tobacco flue curing?

T

thesloppy

Super cool process! Definitely not happening in my apartment, though.

I wonder if you could rig up a portable induction cooktop as your burner and dispense with like half the complexity? Some of those have pretty low temp settings and would be 100% consistent in terms of temperature. Keep the water drip, get a big ass pot with a vegetable steaming rack and a vented lid and you could conceivably be able to achieve the same results, and more consistency, with perhaps better safety/portability...if I understand your process correctly.

Something like this induction burner (and pan!) is relatively cheap and has a very wide temp range at 10 degree increments (tho I have no idea if you can run those things for hours/days at a time):

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-30242-Precision-Induction-Cooktop/dp/B01A1H33FA/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510304703&sr=1-16&keywords=induction+cooktop

Super cool process! Definitely not happening in my apartment, though.

Yes, you're right, one thing I forgot to mention is this is a super stinky process. Totally not viable for anyone who is living in tight quarters with anti-weed types, especially in non-legal states. The steam given off smells like straight skunk and after you have been tending this thing for a couple days, you will be soaked from head to toe with skunk odor. I actually got pulled over and written a traffic ticket one night while in the middle of this experiment, and the cop said he smelled "polecat" (skunk) and he knew that smell well cause he had been sprayed by one once. :laughing:

For apartment dwellers, closet growers, and others working on a small scale, I recommend using Tangwena's process instead, which will give you excellent results with no smell. This process is more meant for people who might be curing larger amounts of weed. You can also put the barrel inside of a larger structure and use it to heat/humidify that structure, which is my plan for the next experiment a few months down the road.

It's important to note that steam will only be coming out of the device if humidity reaches above 95-99%. Under correct conditions there should be no steam at all. If you stick your hand in there it will just feel hot and humid. Humidity and temperature gauges are a must, but digital gauges will tend to cloud up as the moisture gets inside and it will ruin them. You need some kind of gauge set that is usable in moist conditions.

I wonder if you could rig up a portable induction cooktop as your burner and dispense with like half the complexity?

Perhaps, however, I believe the flue gases being given off by the burner are a critical part of the process. Inside the barrel is a CO2-rich, oxygen-poor environment, and I believe this is largely responsible for the changes seen during the coloring stage. In my experiment, almost all of the change was seen during coloring, and after the log was rolled and placed back in the chamber, not much further change occurred.

It could be that the log rolling step could be skipped completely. You could do the coloring and colorset, and when the buds are at the right moisture level, take them out of the barrel and hang them for a short time to equalize, and then jar them. Doing that you could shorten the process to as little as 24 hours from live plant to jarred buds! I like the logs however as it's a good way to store and handle the end product. Much more experimentation is needed to figure out all the ins and outs of this process.

If we were to do things your way with an induction burner, the coloring process may or may not proceed the same way. I'm not sure, however, it would be a very good idea for someone to try this and see what the results are! That would definitely help us to understand the process better. Once the log is rolled and sealed up then the induction heater would definitely work from that point on. :tiphat:

Hi Log roller! Looks very interesting and promising. Outside the box stoner thinking at it's best.
Do you by chance have any links to provide about tobacco flue curing?

Hi baduy, thanks for stopping in. This experiment was conducted back in January and that's when I was reading up on tobacco curing. Don't remember the sources I read from, however, if you search for "tobacco flue curing pdf" on Google it will bring up page after page of PDF files on the subject. I'm downloading some of those papers now and will do some reading on them this evening. :tiphat:

My friend history is being made here remember people laughed at Columbus too

Tangwena, one thing that always impressed me about your thread was the polite way you handled and turned away the doubters and naysayers. I will try to follow in your footsteps so this can be a thread of learning for us all rather than yet another hate fest full of arguing and insults. :smoke:

mushroombrew

Veteran
I am still not sure what the benefit is?

Like the "gold" varieties of old. The buds are left on the plant and they stop watering. The buds dry "on the vine" and turn golden yellow. But it's mainly a novelty.

I am just not sure why you would do this to quality smoke?

Not trying to piss on your parade I just think it is an odd practice?