What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, flower them or keep as moms?

rastapasta8

Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Tried searching but didn't really turn up much that I found helpful.

Been growing for 13 years. Used to getting clones but am after some seeds for a change up in genetics.

What are your opinions on flowering the seedling itself once sexed or keeping it as a mom and flowering clones?

I'm in a bit of a rush so I'm more inclined to veg till sexed, flower the seeds themselves and save clones taken before flowered.

My thoughts on flowering the sexed seeds

Pros: seed vigor, quicker as not waiting on sex to show, clones to take and get big enough to flower.

Cons: I've found that in the past seeds can grow a bit different to the clones of them. I've found that seeds can be a bit stretchier(more with sativa strains), and some of the old nodes arent alternating so they take up a bit more space.

Ideally I'd like to flower them once to weed out the not as good genetics to thin out the veg tent to be able to test more.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I think seeds can get a little more stressy than clones maybe because seeds put out a main tap root which clones can't do and that is more likely to get pissed off if stressed/strangled..

Also the genetics are not as old and mature as clones and clones often produce faster.. I only ever grow from seeds thesedays due to room issues and I think if you're in a rush just do a shit hot job of getting them up to size and go for it mate..

Yes seeds can be more stretchy bitches lol and take a bit of tieing down, I like the challenge for some reason..

rastapasta8

Good call on the taproot. Something I hadnt considered. Same with the genetics maturing more over time.

I'm ok with stretchy plants. I grow vertical anyways so its more forgiving. I also enjoy tying back to keep plants out of the bulbs so winning.

Always up for a new challenge And you've helped me decide which avenue to take so thank you very much for that. :tiphat: