What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new to using happy frog a couple questions.

RB56

Veteran
Thank you Fiddy that reassures me that it's not just my batch gone bad, but is inherent in the soil mix. I'll probably try to go back to smaller, multiple, daily waterings. I have been slacking the last few months and just watering a bunch once a day. Love your indoor thread btw. Gonna hit ya'll up with rep once it resets.
If you're going to do smaller, multiple, daily waterings, consider switching to coir. Gives complete control over what goes in. I fought with HF for several years, working my way up to multiple daily waterings. At that point I realized I was basically doing hydroponic anyway, without being able to control what was being contributed by the medium. LOVE coir and don't miss lugging bags of soil.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I've had this issue with the soil when it is fresh out of the bag. My solution has been to put in a large container like a garbage can, add water until it is saturated and let it sit for a few hours. At that point, you can put it in pots and it seems to hold water fine when it is watered in the future. I think the key is to get it resaturated the first time.
Yeah somebody else mentioned that, it must be the peat drying out in the shipping channel. I got some yucca extract which seems to help, makes the water "wetter".
If you're going to do smaller, multiple, daily waterings, consider switching to coir. Gives complete control over what goes in. I fought with HF for several years, working my way up to multiple daily waterings. At that point I realized I was basically doing hydroponic anyway, without being able to control what was being contributed by the medium. LOVE coir and don't miss lugging bags of soil.
I came from coco which is where I was doing the small daily waterings. I didn't like having to supply all of the nutrients for the plant. I'm lazy and like just watering things :) Plus the soil route seems to be a lot cheaper