What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2018 Norcal ~ My Backyard

Vaporbud

Greetings fellow growers, I hope you are well. I am very thankful for the forum here and all of your contributions. Not only is there up to date information and help but the inspiration I get from your threads is highly motivational. Here I am to share my small grow. I try and keep things as simple as possible. I don't have as much time as I would like to devote to my herb garden so simple is best for me. I am also very thankful for being able to grow my plants out in the open more or less. I hope everyone can do the same as soon as possible.

I decided to try some 65 gallon smartpots, was using 30s before. I picked up 1.5 yds of organic garden soil, their best, at the local landscape supply place. Supposedly loaded with good stuff especially worm castings. I dropped my seeds in water on 4/7 with the goal of:
1 Ace Golden Tiger Fem (1 seed)
1 Ace Haze X KaliChina Fem (1 Seed)
1 GG4 X SD-IBL from DJXX (3 seeds)
1 Chem D X Galadriel Fem, mine (3 seeds)

Everything worked out. I got 1 female from the GG4XSD, picked the best looking Chem X Gal and off we go. I went from beer cups to 2 gallon pots then to the 65s around June 1. The plants were rootbound and hungry. Still looked hungy after a week so I started in with medium strength feeding liquid EJ Grow 7 day schedule as follows : feed-feed-water-feed-feed-water+recharge-dry. They are looking pretty much perfect at this point all the leaves are a good dark green and healthy. Growing very fast now.

I pH my water on the water days only as the nutes bring it down OK on feed days. I end up needing a teaspoon of white vinegar for 5 gallons of water to get tp 6.0. I am planning to pick up some pH down when I get to the grow store but vinegar for now. In fact I have pretty high dissolved solids in my well water so I do have a RO system that I need to pick up a couple small parts for. Has a 55 gallon res. I will get that going asap so I don't load up my pots with salts and stuff from the well. We'll see what the RO does to the pH if anything. Any questions, comments and especially suggestions are welcome.

Here we are today, left to right: Chem X Gal - Haze X KaliChina - Golden Tiger - GG4 X SD-IBL

picture.php

Chem X Gal - Haze X KaliChina
picture.php

Golden Tiger - GG4 X SD-IBL
picture.php

peace out :rasta:

Dankwolf

Looking good .

Looking good .

I am a fan of earth juice for years now (15+) good products . My personal opinoin is there products nutral out after 12-24 hours . I never ph my water . Good soil ph and good microbail activitu can handel it .

I understand the hard well water . It can be a bitch to fight . I mix my owen soils around my water source these days . But good filtration is still needed .

Any way plants look great . I am looking forward to the results .:tiphat:

Vaporbud

looking good, nice setup
Thank You theJointedOne. :tiphat:

The second one needs to be a xmas tree. Good job so far looks good
Thanks man. Im watchin yours too, good job. I know you are inspiring others just growing your big ole crop right there. Fukin awesome. Yeah that second one is a beauty, classic sativa, the branches spiral perfectly around the stem. I'll be enjoying her around xmas. :biggrin:

I am a fan of earth juice for years now (15+) good products . My personal opinoin is there products nutral out after 12-24 hours . I never ph my water . Good soil ph and good microbail activitu can handel it .

I understand the hard well water . It can be a bitch to fight . I mix my owen soils around my water source these days . But good filtration is still needed .

Any way plants look great . I am looking forward to the results .:tiphat:

Thanks for the feedback and comments Dank. Earthjuice works good and I can get it by the gallon at home depot. I hear you on the pH. Probably not necessary. I haven't even checked the soil pH. For sure the more critical item is my hard well water. I will be using some cal/mag with the RO but that's about it, adding and switching to EJ bloom appropriately. Ill keep using the Recharge which is incredible stuff. I haven't even brewed any compost tea after I started using Recharge. :rasta:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Hope you took clones off these... cuz ACE seeds have the attention of many because of all the hard work they do.

maybe another 5 feet on that privacy fence to hide these trees.

be careful of that vinegar solution. I've killed a lot of weeds with that overdoing it.

Vaporbud

Hope you took clones off these... cuz ACE seeds have the attention of many because of all the hard work they do.

maybe another 5 feet on that privacy fence to hide these trees.

be careful of that vinegar solution. I've killed a lot of weeds with that overdoing it.

Hey Medfinder, Thanks friend. You're right, Ace is an excellent seed company, I am totally stoked to finally try some. I am about to start hacking all the insides and there will be plenty of viable clones but ya know, my old indoor grow friends, and myself have all stopped growing indoors. We are kind of old (haha) and probably tired of the endless grind of indoor. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but now I'm glad when everything is done for the year.

Yeah these girls will be way over the fence. It is actually more of a wind barrier than for privacy. Its a brutal spot that's hot and often windy. So far so good on the neighbors. They have all seen and smelled my grows and I get only compliments over the years. I first grew in this spot in 1996 or 97 Aloha White Widow I ordered from Adam. Back then there were no houses back there though just side neighbors.

Thanks for the advice on the vinegar. I'm thinking of not pH'ing at all.
Peace brother :rasta:

Vaporbud

Here are some new pictures from this morning. Its been hot. The garden has definitely slowed its growth I'm sure due to the many days over 100 degrees and wind.. Overall, everything is going well. I will be adding a top dressing slow release N probably tomorrow.

picture.php

Chem D X Galadriel

picture.php

GG4 X SD-IBL

picture.php

Purple Haze X KaliChina

picture.php

Golden Tiger

picture.php

Vaporbud

:tiphat:

Thanks for sharing your grows and helpful information!

Since I posted last, the thrips arrived as expected. Slammed em with a good soaking spray of Spinosad. I'll be using it for the next several weeks or more as the flowering starts. Works for the bud caterpillars too. The mites coulde show up whenever. Flowering has started on the ChemXGal and the GG4XSD. The sativa girls are just making a lot of places for buds still and will start like tomorrow or shortly after, I guess.

I topdressed with a couple inches of composted chicken manure in each pot. Cost me about 5 bucks. Within about 4 days the plants were all greening right up. The Haze had shown hunger/deficiencies and the chicken shit took care of that right away.

picture.php

:rasta:

caliprop215

Veteran
:tiphat:

Thanks for sharing your grows and helpful information!

Since I posted last, the thrips arrived as expected. Slammed em with a good soaking spray of Spinosad. I'll be using it for the next several weeks or more as the flowering starts. Works for the bud caterpillars too. The mites coulde show up whenever. Flowering has started on the ChemXGal and the GG4XSD. The sativa girls are just making a lot of places for buds still and will start like tomorrow or shortly after, I guess.

I topdressed with a couple inches of composted chicken manure in each pot. Cost me about 5 bucks. Within about 4 days the plants were all greening right up. The Haze had shown hunger/deficiencies and the chicken shit took care of that right away.

View Image

U use bagged or local source.? Plants look great

Vaporbud

Thanks man, yours are lookin good too. Great job keeping them short and spread out for your spot. I was just catching up around here. Sorry to hear about the mites. I see you had white flies. Those you can spray with just isoproyl alcohol and a little soap and water. They can be vacuumed off too with a small weak vacuum... Spinosad for thrips and mites are another subject... hate those little bastards.

Yeah I got the chicken manure at home depot 3.65 a bag or close to that. 1cf. Here:
picture.php