What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whole Plant Based Tinctures Help

greenfox

Hey there everyone,

I've been lurking for too long so now time to post :).

I'm trying to make a whole plant / full extract ethanol tincture. I'm looking for the cleanest, most natural way to accomplish this and thus far I've found:

https://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/tincture.htm
Cold Method
+Decarb in oven for 225 for 30 mins prior to the wash.

I've also been bless with skunkpharmresearch and look forward to the upcoming site here in a few days, but I'm after more of the plant than what the QWET technique seems to focus on.

I'm after everything the plant has to offer for the most part. I really don't care about taste cause mom said to eat the broccoli even if it tasted bad and she was right :). I hope you get what I mean by this, but for example, I want all the thc, cbd, cbn, trichs, etc that the plant has to packed in it.

Any experienced tincture crafters out there willing to share some advice / things I should be concnered about that maybe I'm not and lead me down the right path oh please oh please?

Thank you all!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ummm, my computer shows that to be an insecure site, but I recognize from the address that it is Phoenix Tears, Rick Simpson's old site, so the process should be well tried.

If the high chlorophyll content doesn't give you gastric distress, it should work for you.

All the things you listed are in the trichomes, so no need to do a full plant extraction, but in researching terpenes, I did find a study showing some triterpenes in the fibers and some in the roots, so mayhaps that's where the extra medical properties comes from.

greenfox

Ummm, my computer shows that to be an insecure site, but I recognize from the address that it is Phoenix Tears, Rick Simpson's old site, so the process should be well tried.

If the high chlorophyll content doesn't give you gastric distress, it should work for you.

All the things you listed are in the trichomes, so no need to do a full plant extraction, but in researching terpenes, I did find a study showing some triterpenes in the fibers and some in the roots, so mayhaps that's where the extra medical properties comes from.

Thank you for the info GW. I'm digging the new site btw!

greenfox

Follow up question:

I read on a tincture product website that they use " a slow heating process lasting six hours"
... Could anyone explain this? I've mostly seen people decarbing in the oven and nowhere near 6 hours.

Do you think some tincture producers create an RSO type oil and then reintroduce the alcohol to better control doses of each tincture vial?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Follow up question:

I read on a tincture product website that they use " a slow heating process lasting six hours"
... Could anyone explain this? I've mostly seen people decarbing in the oven and nowhere near 6 hours.

Do you think some tincture producers create an RSO type oil and then reintroduce the alcohol to better control doses of each tincture vial?

Some folks add ethanol, or leave some in to make a tincture, rather than leave raw oil which is solid at room temperature.

Ethanol is GRAS.

greenfox

Some folks add ethanol, or leave some in to make a tincture, rather than leave raw oil which is solid at room temperature.

Ethanol is GRAS.

So what do you think they mean by the 6 hour heating method? Theoretically speaking, could they mean they simply heat it at 201 F for 6 hours since when referring to that well known graph maybe it takes 6 hours for that line to reach maximum decarboxylation?

fpXxs30.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

I used to make and drink tinctures all the time, it was my main ROI for a while. The decarbing is hit or miss unless you know the original state of the material that you're working with. Year old trim I don't even heat process, its already done enough, so that "how many months from chop" is a significant question. Once the marijuana is heat treated you don't need to do much else heat wise, just put it in the alcohol and let it sit overnight or two days at room temp then strain it. All that green stuff if probably good for you and like GW said it will get you high as fuck too. If you get your tolerance up high enough to start drinking a lot your farts will start smelling like whatever strain you're drinking, one time when I was guzzling SSH tincture I convinced someone I able to channel the aura of my long lost pet ferrets.
Watch out for excess oxalate consumption, especially if you suffer from vaginismus. I set up a grow for a medical patient once who had that exact combination of problems and it was difficult to talk her out of her "whole plant blah blah oprah said its good current popular fad blah blah" dietary trend which was instigating or exacerbating her symptoms.
If you like the drinking whole plant weed experience try bhang, that stuff is real tasty and does the trick nicely.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what do you think they mean by the 6 hour heating method? Theoretically speaking, could they mean they simply heat it at 201 F for 6 hours since when referring to that well known graph maybe it takes 6 hours for that line to reach maximum decarboxylation?

View Image

You can never get the solution hotter than its boiling point at atmospheric pressure, which is more or less a flat line on that graph.

That means that the rate of conversion of THCa to THC is roughly equivalent to the rate of THC conversion to CBN.

I personally remove the alcohol, decarboxylate the oil, and add back the alcohol.

MedicalMilitia

Hey there everyone,

I've been lurking for too long so now time to post :).

I'm trying to make a whole plant / full extract ethanol tincture. I'm looking for the cleanest, most natural way to accomplish this and thus far I've found:

https://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/tincture.htm
Cold Method
+Decarb in oven for 225 for 30 mins prior to the wash.

I've also been bless with skunkpharmresearch and look forward to the upcoming site here in a few days, but I'm after more of the plant than what the QWET technique seems to focus on.

I'm after everything the plant has to offer for the most part. I really don't care about taste cause mom said to eat the broccoli even if it tasted bad and she was right :). I hope you get what I mean by this, but for example, I want all the thc, cbd, cbn, trichs, etc that the plant has to packed in it.

Any experienced tincture crafters out there willing to share some advice / things I should be concnered about that maybe I'm not and lead me down the right path oh please oh please?

Thank you all!

You can also decarb in a mason jar, set in a water bath at 95C(203F) for an hour and a half.

I wood

You can also decarb in a mason jar, set in a water bath at 95C(203F) for an hour and a half.

Or simply in a mason jar on a coffee maker hot plate until bubbles almost stop or stop completely depending on your preferences. Stopping when bubbles slow to about ten percent give the effects I’m looking for.
The coffee maker maintains the perfect temperature for my needs.