What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mychorrizae

So I ran out of mychorrizae (xtreme gardening brand) . I was about to run out and buy more and started wondering more about it. I do good for myself with growing but I could really use more knowledge with things like this, id like to understand it more so im not doing as much guess worj. I have a bottle of em1, caps foliar pack, and nova greens companion product sitting around. Are these products the same? I mean is mychorrizae an em1? Does caps foliar pack closely match xtreme gardenings mychorrizae? I dont have a clue but I would really like to. I hope im asking these questions right. I have some other questions too like whats the difference between humus and humic acid and compost and ewc? Are these closely the same products doing the same thing? If anyone has a science background or an understanding of this and can explain it to a dumb guy like me that would relieve a lot of stress for me. Love you all.
- oh i also have bokashi bran. Im trying to understand where this fits in, could this replace xtreme gardenings mychorrizae and be as effective? Does it do the same thing? I believe i understand it is an em1 so that may just be answered with what exactly the bottle of em1 is and how that fits in

Last edited:
Alright i can understand that. But if brewed long enough bacterial can turn fungal correct?

My other questions were actually more important than the em1. Humus vs humic acid and humus vs ewc

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no bacteria are bacteria and fungi are fungi...
like if u feed a fish enough will it become a dog?
no

as far as humus goes.... quality EWC is KING imo, home-made compost a close second
humic acid is a nice addition for sure but if u have good quality compost and EWC it probably isn't absolutely needed ihmo

G

Gr33nSanta

So I planted fruit trees around my worm farm, in a few years time, my wormcasting will always be inoculated with mycos.

I ran out of myco a while back and noticed the one I had was not even the right kind of myco for cannabis. I think you want endo, and not ecto. I am not sure anymore.

Anyway, I do not think it is necessary, if you have it great if you dont dont sweat it in my opinion.

no bacteria are bacteria and fungi are fungi...
like if u feed a fish enough will it become a dog?
no

as far as humus goes.... quality EWC is KING imo, home-made compost a close second
humic acid is a nice addition for sure but if u have good quality compost and EWC it probably isn't absolutely needed ihmo

Im sure some of my question seemed pretty silly i can see that i just needed a solid answer. Ewc is reffered to as compost also correct? Is it equivalent to eachother? Is it different types of microlife they each contain? Thank you again

There are many different types of bacteria in the compost so is there many types of mychorrizae fungi? Im just trying to organize this in my thinking. Trying to straighten it out in my head. So the myco fungi are good in veg too? Bc it was my understanding in flwr i want fungal tea to be introduced and bacterial more so in veg? Is it still well accepted to use fungal tea in veg and if yes why?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
myco fungi are good at all times of plant growth, dead head
bacteria and fungi are both supposed to be present in high quality compost, but people use innoculants to ensure broad diversity
yes a typical rule of thumb that people follow and repeat is bacterial dominant in veg and fungal dominant in bloom BUT it doesn't hurt at all to add myco in veg or bacterial in bloom

ewc is referred to as vermi-compost (or compost that has been processed by worms) you can feed worms already finished compost to improve it further.
imo ewc is typically superior to compost
if i had to guess i would say that ewc would contain somewhat different micro-life than compost
compost is a broad term that is kind of vague, lots of different types of compost and each one is going to have it's own qualities and specific microbiology based on what the compost is made of, where it is located, how it is treated, etc.
EWC is similar in that it can contain different properties based on what it is made of or what you are feeding the worms. typically EWC is high in calcium carbonate so that's a good thing...

myco fungi are good at all times of plant growth, dead head
bacteria and fungi are both supposed to be present in high quality compost, but people use innoculants to ensure broad diversity
yes a typical rule of thumb that people follow and repeat is bacterial dominant in veg and fungal dominant in bloom BUT it doesn't hurt at all to add myco in veg or bacterial in bloom

ewc is referred to as vermi-compost (or compost that has been processed by worms) you can feed worms already finished compost to improve it further.
imo ewc is typically superior to compost
if i had to guess i would say that ewc would contain somewhat different micro-life than compost
compost is a broad term that is kind of vague, lots of different types of compost and each one is going to have it's own qualities and specific microbiology based on what the compost is made of, where it is located, how it is treated, etc.
EWC is similar in that it can contain different properties based on what it is made of or what you are feeding the worms. typically EWC is high in calcium carbonate so that's a good thing...

Thanks for the info. Although were you being witty saying dead head? I dont care for that if so

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info. Although were you being witty saying dead head? I dont care for that if so

just referring to your handle, deadhead77, that's it
sorry if came off prickly was just trying to quickly answer your questions
if you like ig better enjoy it, i like icmag better that's why im here

not sure what the adapt or die thing is... like if i don't get on ig more im "dead"? lol
i guess.... your welcome (?) :D

I wood

Wow.
Ask a fairly ignorant question, get valid well thought out answer from someone knowledgeable, then get whiny when the name you chose is used in the response.
Yeah, icmag is the problem here.
Wow.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Exactly! Imagine that, instead of researching (aka googling) the basics of bacteria/fungi/protozoa (something I was taught in Junior High School---I think they call the "Middle School" now)...and then one of the smarter guys on ICMag helps him out--he gives Miles the "middle finger" by telling him--

...Adapt or die my old friend

Yep, can't wait until the sons and daughters of Snowflakes (like Dead's) become the new world leaders and start piloting this planet we call Earth.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok peeps lets not make things worse in there... who has something to say about myco?

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Promix PUR powder, imo is outstanding. Made by the same folks that distribute "GHA297" strain of mycos used by companies that also produce myco products.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Horticulture-713465-Pro-Mix-Pur-Mycorrhizal/dp/B01MDMRIJX/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1508267187&sr=8-10&keywords=promix+pur+powder

Just be aware of the expiration date, which is 3 years from date packaged. Tried to return a 5.3 lb package that was already 1 year dead....but they didn't want it. LOL, so they refunded my purchase and told me to keep the package, sweet!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Promix PUR powder, imo is outstanding. Made by the same folks that distribute "GHA297" strain of mycos used by companies that also produce myco products.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Horticulture-713465-Pro-Mix-Pur-Mycorrhizal/dp/B01MDMRIJX/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1508267187&sr=8-10&keywords=promix+pur+powder

Just be aware of the expiration date, which is 3 years from date packaged. Tried to return a 5.3 lb package that was already 1 year dead....but they didn't want it. LOL, so they refunded my purchase and told me to keep the package, sweet!

good advice!
i like VAM myco and im a big fan of Rootwise which is a great myco product and it's made/sold by a former ICMagger as well... gotta support the fam
rootwise also sells a specially phos unlocking mix as well.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The snarky bad attitudes here is definitely a reason why instagram is more popular now days. Adapt or die my old friend

No, the reason IG is such a hit is that it gives loud stupid people a box to stand on, with hordes of much less intelligent folk to follow their wisdom.

While immensely popular, much of the stupidity and broscience driven from (some/parts of) the forums has found voice on IG. Look at any grower account with 10k+ followers and likely you will see pseudoscience and outright bullshit by the tonne.

How many of ya'll that believe in a flat earth is mindboggling, let alone the dozens of other affronts to modern civilization (all who are given a voice thanks to technological developements founded on the science they question to the core re: gravity, for example)..

And all this ignoring that mycorrhizal associations are dependent on a scarcity of phosphorous and water rarely seen in any but the most negligent of grows.

Adapt or die? When this free for all grow all is over, and personal growing is restricted as is tobacco and alcohol production, power concentrated in the hands of the few, all you clowns whose daily existence relies on social media will be the first up against the wall, so to speak. I hope you noodle armed catamites enjoy cockmeat sandwich, because that's all they serve where you're headed.

TLDR: IG is popular as it empowers weak minded fucks like you, but time will serve it's course.

Last edited: