What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those are ugly welds bro. I prefer to use the TIG process, and use certified aerospace welders, for exactly that reason.

You can wash the inner weld with a TIG arc, to smooth it out, and finish up with a mounted point in a hand grinder.[/QUOTE

All of those welds are tig welded. the ones from gibson were merely polished . that is the only difference. :tumbleweed:

Do they look the same to you? To me it looks like the ones from Gibson were properly shielded and didn't need polishing.

They are also a bit more delicately applied.

tommyl

the bhogarts made domestically are all pulse welded on a turn table . here is a link on tig welding stainless and what machines work best and why. the ones made abroad have no visible welds. the tepenator is not made on a turntable otherwise the weld pools would be perfectly even all the way around. All they are is polished. A good full penetration should be pink blue and brown just like hashmans internal welds. Dont believe check out this link on how it should be done

http://draftcycleworks.blogspot.com/2013/02/welding-stainless-steel-304l-with-308l.html

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Got mine today. Quality control is awesome. Welds are tight. Pics soon.

furrywall11

Kcar --- never back down to a romulan interrogator is what I always say. ;) My Bhogart is holding up good...I have a log of all the runs I've done - it looks like gaskets on the hoses are about to go and I've only done about 30 runs.....I want to upgrade to those steel braided hoses, anyways. It's kind of like a car... you have to be new tires every 5k miles.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the bhogarts made domestically are all pulse welded on a turn table . here is a link on tig welding stainless and what machines work best and why. the ones made abroad have no visible welds. the tepenator is not made on a turntable otherwise the weld pools would be perfectly even all the way around. All they are is polished. A good full penetration should be pink blue and brown just like hashmans internal welds. Dont believe check out this link on how it should be done

http://draftcycleworks.blogspot.com/2013/02/welding-stainless-steel-304l-with-308l.html

These welds are not polished bro. They were just shielded properly with argon. A good weld is shinny silver.

Perhaps I should note that I was a certified SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, PAW welder, and weld engineer. I am experienced in ferrous, chrome, nickle, copper, and titanium based alloys.

I have also designed some of the most respected vacuum interlocked inert atmosphere weld chambers in use today and still get requests for them in retirement.

The welds I called ugly, were oxidized from poor shielding and coarsely applied. They were also not done on a turn table.

Attachments

• Welds by Gibson-1-1.jpg
    Welds by Gibson-1-1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Dual installation.jpg
    Dual installation.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
These welds are not polished bro. They were just shielded properly with argon. A good weld is shinny silver.

Perhaps I should note that I was a certified SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, PAW welder, and weld engineer. I am experienced in ferrous, chrome, nickle, copper, and titanium based alloys.

I have also designed some of the most respected vacuum interlocked inert atmosphere weld chambers in use today and still get requests for them in retirement.

The welds I called ugly, were oxidized from poor shielding and coarsely applied. They were also not done on a turn table.

What's that sound I'm hearing? Sounds like class is in session. lol

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The key point is that the appearance of the welds that I commented on, has nothing to do with their soundness in this application. The dark, large bead welds, were applied hot and fast, and the shielding was removed before it cooled down, because the welder is probably running balls to the wall trying to catch up.

The more appropriate question is whether they are sound. Has anyone seen pinholes, cracks, undercuts, tungsten inclusions, etc.

PS: 304SS stainless and one of the easiest and most forgiving alloys to weld and make a gorgeous bead.

It also forms chromium carbides during welding, taking the chromium out of solution and leaving the stainless less corrosion resistant, unless it is subsequently annealed.

That is why you will see some rust around a 300 series stainless weld, even though there is no rust anywhere else.

tommyl

Bhogarts are made in san jose california, silicon valley, where there are millions of square feet of clean rooms. Machining, fabrication and welding are well really competitive around here and only the best survive. :tumbleweed:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Highly gifted and competitive around Portland town as well bro. Sadly lots of open capacity in this economy and some of the weaker ones folded, even after decades in business.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Bhogarts are made in san jose california, silicon valley, where there are millions of square feet of clean rooms. Machining, fabrication and welding are well really competitive around here and only the best survive. :tumbleweed:

:laughing:
Well you can be rest assured BHOgarts faulty recovery tank welds are making their way up north, and by the way you put it bhogarts survival looks grim..
:biggrin:

furrywall11

faulty is a scary word in the context of tanks filled with explosive gases. Do you have any proof to back your statements?

from what i read the weld may not be the most professional, which is very disturbing but, is it really dangerous? gray wolf seems to be a boss when it comes to welds and pressure ratings.. maybe he could answer this?

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Do I have proof, nope I have a nice shinymk3...Lets just say "I knows a guy, that knows a guy"

One of two recovery tanks on a 2.5# unit had a faulty weld and apparently a replacement tank was over nighted.

hmmm was is it dangerous, yes "faulty" was a kind more mature way of saying shitty job, very dangerous and potentially life threatening,

I normally try to keep to myself on alot of this stuff but this is kinda personal, like I says..
"i knows a guy,"
and I care about this guy I know,
I also care about folks I dont know
And refridgerant recovery tanks can be bought for cheap...

Squeaky wheel get the grease...
My point is that it should be tested,
I already posted this link earlier, Safety first..
http://www.hudsontech.com/reclamation-services/hydrostatic-testing-and-cylinder-maintenance/ industry standard

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I just got the latest 2.5# recovery tank from BHOgart, and I can safely say
the welds are perfect and highly professional. I had my buddy who Tig's for
a local amusement park come and take a look at it and he was impressed.
We both pressure and vacuum tested it and there are no leaks. Thanks BHOgart!

RHH

We fixed the previously reported leaks on the BHOgart refrigerant tank using more PTFE tape.

In any case, I don't think the refrigerant tank should be an issue for anyone looking to get one of these. Just buy a 50# robinair tank and use that instead if you're so worried. If you ask him maybe he'll knock off $50-100 for not including the refrigerant tank?

Personally, I prefer using the mastercool/robinair tanks because the valves are on the tank itself and not on the lines.

tommyl

pictures of the next round of extractors. 300 showed up this week. Mostly larger units all made in a 3a factory. :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_5685.jpg
    IMG_5685.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5686.jpg
    IMG_5686.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5687.jpg
    IMG_5687.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 17

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Hey Tom,

Are those the 12"ers? They look nice! Are they welded on the inside as well?
Also, where do you get the 10" sanitary gaskets? Would love to order some spares.
Tanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts