What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

Numinous1

This stuff seems very popular in dispensaries as a sativa selection but rarely gets any love here why? In fact it seems to be the number 1 sativa in dispensaries.

Places like leafly (which seems good for getting a broad view of a strain via smoke reports) rate it consistently highly. From those smoke reports it seems like they are getting some good sativa, but where does it originate from? Not Dutch Passion or sensi I'm guessing.

Was thinking of trying seeds of africa but there is absolutely nothing on these guys anywhere.

:peacock:

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Nobody is offering real Durban seeds at the moment that I know of. Ya wouldn't want it pure anyhow, unless ya enjoy panic attacks lol. Tropical seeds has F1's of some legit Durban and purple paki. Should be some nice smoke, n nice plants. I'd imagine some reddish purple anise smelling buds done in 10 weeks. Sounds good to me.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Seedsman has Power Africa that I have grown, the Durban Poison comes through well in most pheno's with that aniseed taste. Very nice Sativa without the anxiety of the original Durban Poison. But then that's another cross.

Dutchgrown seeds have DTC99 which has been bred with Durban poison, havn't grown or smoked that strain yet but got some seeds in the fridge waiting.

moondawg

Ive grown sensi's Dps and another company a few yrs back. ... i cant remember but the facts are is that DPs IS the real deal. Sensi's had 2 or 3 different pheno's as did the other but DP's are clearly landrace. It is not a hybrid of anything

If you search i bet you can find a high times article from a few yrs back in which a side by side sensi/DP grow was conducted and the grower and the writer both concluded that sensi's was indeed a hybrid plant.

After growing thenm i agree. Dps' is quality and landrace. It grows outdoors 2m and produces 10-12Oz in a guerilla setting. Good vigor but god awful succeptable to caterpillars. Uplifting, clear smoke with an odd or unique taste.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I remember a '71 seed catalog listing "Durban Poison" as a pure sativa from africa. Breeding listed as Durban Poison x Skunk. *sigh*

Careful where you get yours, if you're looking for pure. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Numinous1

Thanks everyone for the comments, very useful.

I had seen that grow comparison between dp vs sensi. it does seem like dp has some good stuff. dp's stuff worries me on the hermie front though.

I also read GETMO's thread on durban, he seemed to think it was pretty amazing and worth tracking down. I noticed he had grown some of aces panama red and golden tiger since then. I wonder how he feels these sativas compare.

moondawg

hey numinous

for what its worth, ive been growing DP seeds since 99. Ive probably grown 20 or more packs of their seeds and ive truly never had a bad pack. The only time ive seen a hermi is with of course Blueberry, but blueberry hermies and has deformities.

I didnt likel the Knola nor purple's but the seeeds were good. Their skunks are good.

purple_man

Veteran
yow moondawg!

you mean Dutch Passions durban??? yeah their skunks are good, especially euforia. and their master kush and white widow rock the boat too! (at least back then end of 90s when they started selling the transvestite versions...)

blessss

J

Junkhead

Ive been waiting along time for the Dutch Passion Durban regulars to restock. Forever. Not going to get any in time to make any hybrids for this years outdoor that's for sure.

There was a grow off between Sensi and DP in a magazine. DP durban was much more uniform. Sensis were apparently hybrids. I forget the magazine but its not hard to find online.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
MarijuanaMat from CrazyX seeds is working some proper looking Durb's, his comes from African Seeds stock and is very sativa looking.

Numinous1

I think durban is the most underrated sativa on IC judging by its popularity with the legal/mmj states. Also as noted by Lemon larry GSC has durban in it and that sure is popular.
I might get MarijuanaMats and some DP to see what the difference is. Then I am not ever going to get any more seeds ever again. (I hope).

mikeynx

i was in s. africa in the mid 90's ans smoked some durban, and to this day it was one of the most memorable highs i have ever experienced. the most psychadelic weed ever! 20 years later and i can still vividly remember just how powerful the high was. totally awesome although slightly paranoia inducing

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
i was in s. africa in the mid 90's ans smoked some durban, and to this day it was one of the most memorable highs i have ever experienced. the most psychadelic weed ever! 20 years later and i can still vividly remember just how powerful the high was. totally awesome although slightly paranoia inducing

I know exactly what you mean! LOL. :whee: I find that taking deep breaths, and working through the movement of energy through your body can help cope with the paranoia. The energy that swells up inside needs to be released, and its only if one doesn't let it out that they start getting paranoid. A good jog, bombing down the street on a fixed gear, or a strong swim will bring you to equilibrium and allow you to utilize the super human energy. At least thats how I deal with the energy surge and avoid the paranoia.

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
Sorry I thought Durban and Durban Poison were the exact same thing. Care to elaborate?

Maybe they are. I should clarify... The Durban that we have did not come from a Dutch seed bank, or any other seed bank for that matter. It came from African farmers. I associate Durban Poison with Dutch seed banks, and think of landrace Durban weed as a just plain Durban. Even if all the Dutch releases were true IBL lines, there was some degree of selection that went on, and the majority of Durban Poison that I've seen is pretty uniform in appearance and smell, at least most of the Durban Poison that goes around California. Whereas growing the landrace Durban that we have, the pheno that was selected for in the Durban Poison appears, but there are other phenos, such as the banana pheno, that exist in the gene pool as well. I hope that clarifies.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
The name Durban Poison originates here in South Africa, and the term was probably coined way before anybody ever thought of growing indoors... Finding the real deal would not have been as easy though, Any above average weed would often have been called 'Durban poison'.

The original landrace would probably be under serious threat by now from rogue pollen given off by commercial grows in the area, using foriegn seed stock. The area to look in would be the hills surrounding Durban and an area called Tugela ferry (if I remember correctly) and not actually Durban which is a city!

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
The name Durban Poison originates here in South Africa, and the term was probably coined way before anybody ever thought of growing indoors... Finding the real deal would not have been as easy though, Any above average weed would often have been called 'Durban poison'.

The original landrace would probably be under serious threat by now from rogue pollen given off by commercial grows in the area using foriegn seed stock. The area to look for would be the hills surrounding Durban and an area called Tugela ferry (if I remember correctly) and not actually Durban which is a city!

Thanks for clarifying the origins of the name. I'll still refer to it as just plain Durban, LOL. And yes, Durban is a city, and it would have been grown far outside the city, and been rare and hard to find. That's the beauty of working with guys twice to thrice your age, they had access to things before things went to shit, and they have worked with people who were around when the Garden of Eden hadn't been raided. They also had the wisdom to preserve what they saw as an increasingly threatened species. Much respect goes out to those who took the time energy and risks involved in leaving these gifts to future generations to work with, we look forward to following in their footsteps. There are a lot more phenos to be hunted out in the gene pool that we have, and we're looking forward to that mission. So far every pheno we've found has been exceptional in its own regard, from nose to potency, to mold resistance. We are harvesting some F2 Durban outcrosses within the next few weeks. Can't wait to dive into that gene pool and find the winners.