What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Desktop is Frozen with contents of some other Drive

St. Phatty

I set my Windows 7 desktop to black, and the file and folder icons are on top of that.

For about 6 months I had the desktop set to my external drive, which is not a great move, because it's SLOW.

And, there were hundreds of folders & icons, so the desktop was this big crowded mess of folders & icons.

So now I fixed it, so the Desktop is mapped to an internal hard drive, a 1 Terabyte Samsung.

But ......................

The desktop appearance hasn't changed.

The 1 Terabyte Samsung is all folders, no files.

But the desktop appearance is the same super-crowded "F" (external) drive that it was before.

How do I get the Desktop to show the icons on the drive it's mapped to ?

Anyway, will do Help search for Map Desktop & see what happens.

The computer has 2x 256 MB solid state drives. Originally the OS went on one and the desktop was mapped to the other.

PS Fixed it.

Attachment shows Fix.

Attachments

• mybook_+__.jpg
    mybook_+__.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 23

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
One thing for sure. Your drives are too full. Windows uses space on your hard drives for cache and for other tasks. Having less than 20% free on any mechanical hard drive is probably asking for a drive failure sooner or later.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing for sure. Your drives are too full. Windows uses space on your hard drives for cache and for other tasks. Having less than 20% free on any mechanical hard drive is probably asking for a drive failure sooner or later.

Yes, full drive. Partition/FAT or wipe down....or buy a larger cache external drive.

St. Phatty

Thanks for all the HELP !!!

I got a semi-normal desktop now.

Someone is right about the de-fragging.

I have used up all the SATA drive connectors, but I have 2 DVD's.

I was going to remove one of the DVD's and give that SATA connector to another internal Hard Drive.

Narrowed it down at Newegg to this one and a few others -
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16822231534

I think the product reviews at Newegg are a great tech resource. The quality products have a very distinctive bell curve, 90% plus approval in the 4 star & 5 star category.

BUT it's very hard to find late model hard drives that are 'beloved'.

The beloved drives are the Western Digital Raptors, fast lower capacity drives. I have one myself and I love it. 300 GB & very fast boot drive, like an SSD but it makes much cooler sounds.

I know some people don't care about what sounds a machine makes, but I do :woohoo:

Anyway I wish Google and the NSA would publicize their hard drive reliability statistics. For us Geeks. :tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I dunno about de-fragging - better just frag the bloody thing and start all over again - lol