What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower vs. Photoperiod yields per year

gorilla ganja

Nice chart ReservoirScrogs. I disagree with autos having a lower overall yield, but that depends on so many factors. Given roughly the same time frame I think the yields should at least be the same.
You summed it up quite well though, total yields even with your assumption of lower yields for autos are pretty close.

Peace GG

bigAl25

Veteran
Photos verses autos

Photos verses autos

:tiphat: I just had to put this up for all of you to show you the difference in yield of photos verses autos. Same grow area, same pots, same soil, same lamps( 2 400 watt HPS and MH). Strains are Nirvana AK48, Kandy Kush, Mosca Indiana bubblegum and Sherb orbit, OG Rascal strawberry bubba kush( 10 year old seeds kept in freezer and only had 4 left). The yield from these, some were topped, some not, far exceeds my 3 grow periods with autos. Scroll back and see the same area with my autos. This yield could be 3 times autos I tried growing for the last 3 seasons. I'll be happy to answer any questions, but I am fucking thrilled I switched back to photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 108

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally, I prefer several successive harvests vs. waiting for the photoperiods to finish. To each their own.

bigAl25

Veteran
dear Gorilla, Please scroll back to my explanation of auto grow posted on 12-10-2018 and then the follow up photos posted on 1-15-2019. The difference is readily apparent for photoperiods verses autos. I tried autos on three successive grows: Fastbuds(sorta sucked), heavyweight and Nirvana autos(no yield all small plants), and Mephisto(small plants OK potency). I have not tried afterthought autos and maybe topping of autos should be done, I did not because aridbud stated not to top in some earlier posts. Your questions are answered in my earlier posts in this thread. I vegged photos for 6 weeks, topped some, some I did not. The photos posted on 4-7-2020 show I'm a much better grower with fem plants and either I suck at autos or the breeders I have tried don't produce autos that yield very well at all. Autos did cut one month off my total grow time exposure, but you can see for yourself what a reduction I took in yield in the photos.

gorilla ganja

bigAl25 I looked back at the pics and I think you may have had problems with the auto runs.
No offense meant. I have run many Autoflowers and there can be major differences under different environmental conditions.

This strain ran outside under less than idea conditions produced less than an ounce a plant.
Indoors with decent enviroment they produced 3+ ounces, some reached 8 ounces/plant.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This strain I made with the Hubbabubbasmelloscope that you ran.

picture.php

Just trying to say Autoflowers can yield.

Let the debate continue.

Peace GG

bigAl25

Veteran
Yes I do suck with autos. You are using 5 gallon buckets. I used 2 and 3 gallon buckets because of the size of grow area I have. Great job on those autos, look great, Did you like the hubbabubbasmellascope? My smoke was very good on the short indica plants I had.

gorilla ganja

Yes, I enjoyed it enough to use it for breeding to several strains. I loved the bubble gum flavor. Hoping to one day breed it to Indiana Bubble Gum and bring it to full Auto again.

bigAl25

Veteran
Check out Mosca's Indiana Bubble Gum S1s. Fem seeds and I was able to use a Michigan seed company to get mine. PM me if you would like their name.

bibi40

Can' t agree with low yield with autos .

I' m new in indoor auto grow , and i easily reach the Gpw in my last 4 run , with 3 different strain ,

i reach better yield with auto than photo ( with a little more electricity consommation , but not so much , the game is really available ) .

Just what i think and see :tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
For yer info I get 2kg to as much as 5kg per Photo plant grown in the ground in a greenhouse 20" tall, that would take a lot of Autos in the same space to have a higher yield even with 4/5 crops a year. I could do 2 crops a year but I do not, I like to have a vacation every year.
Outdoors even harder with Autos depending on Latitude and soil temps.
Sometimes growers have no choice as late maturing Photos just do not finish in time outdoors up North.

I can do that weight with seeds or clones, I prefer clones as then I know exactly what I will get (my elite clones) and can get them extra large before planting in the ground.
I know no one that keeps clones of his best autos, we all know why.

I am sure that Autos can have great plants and average plants, I really prefer just great plants unless I am doing a trial of photo seeds to find a keeper elite clone.

What % of AUTOS are the very best herb with the best effects, taste and smells you have come across?
I grow for Quality and Effects first Yield second and convenience last because I have the choice, I understand my Northern brothers using Autos outdoors to get a crop in before freezing, but that is why I use clones and a greenhouse.
If you say the yield is higher, the quality better overall, then what can I say, I am glad you can do it.

Also, I do think Autos have improved since Nevil introduced Ruderalis/Drug varieties decades ago the Auto he used was Hungarian Ruderalis and ruined any hybrid that was made from it, they were Auto but I would not smoke them.
-SamS

mr.brunch

Veteran
Not had much luck with autos so far , but I’m definitely having a crack at some outdoor this year.
I’ve been reading lots so fingers crossed and hoping for the best

gorilla ganja

Your absolutely right Sam,
There are some real challenges with Autoflowers. Keeping elites is one of them. As you state they are getting better all the time and as more serious commercial breeders work with them some quality problems will be solved.

I'm at 55 North. 3-4 month growing season and I would guess probably less than 10% of available seed strains would finish here under normal outdoor conditions. I'm sure you would have a much better guess at this number.

At this latitude, you are limited to what you can get with photo plants. I personally would rather have 2 crops of Autoflowers than 1 crop of photo's even if I get slightly more with full-season plants.
A lot of things can go wrong at the end of flower up here.
Well really Fall can be hard on crops everywhere. I choose to spread the risk over 2 crops.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Peace GG

For yer info I get 2kg to as much as 5kg per Photo plant grown in the ground in a greenhouse 20" tall, that would take a lot of Autos in the same space to have a higher yield even with 4/5 crops a year. I could do 2 crops a year but I do not, I like to have a vacation every year.
Outdoors even harder with Autos depending on Latitude and soil temps.
Sometimes growers have no choice as late maturing Photos just do not finish in time outdoors up North.

I can do that weight with seeds or clones, I prefer clones as then I know exactly what I will get (my elite clones) and can get them extra large before planting in the ground.
I know no one that keeps clones of his best autos, we all know why.

I am sure that Autos can have great plants and average plants, I really prefer just great plants unless I am doing a trial of photo seeds to find a keeper elite clone.

What % of AUTOS are the very best herb with the best effects, taste and smells you have come across?
I grow for Quality and Effects first Yield second and convenience last because I have the choice, I understand my Northern brothers using Autos outdoors to get a crop in before freezing, but that is why I use clones and a greenhouse.
If you say the yield is higher, the quality better overall, then what can I say, I am glad you can do it.

Also, I do think Autos have improved since Nevil introduced Ruderalis/Drug varieties decades ago the Auto he used was Hungarian Ruderalis and ruined any hybrid that was made from it, they were Auto but I would not smoke them.
-SamS

Fiet

Auto's are Kicking Ass!!!

I don't say Photos didn't of course they did too but i don't think they are efficient like Auto's and fast like that. I Grow Autos for Years with a Big success in my small 80x80x160cm Area and i always have a Great Yield with them.

Right know i have a Low Seed Price Strain Banana Punsh 100 Day's + and it is my biggest plant ever and the Harvest will be great too I don't think a Single Photo Plant will outperform her in that period of time.

300w total 18/6

IMG_20221214_220835.jpg
IMG_20221214_220741.jpg
IMG_20221214_221017.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts