What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issues

Kingkanna

This is my first grow and I'm 13 days since I dropped the seeds in the water. They are in a 3x3 tent, 5 gallon smart pots, with canna coco coir, 1000w Philzon COBB LED, PH is neutral, and have been giving them the germination calculation for a gallon of Heavy 16 Veg A&B. The are ILGM Girl Scout Cookie Extreme strain. Temp is 74-78 and humidity ranges from 70 to 80%.

My issue is that of the 3 seedlings two look good, but the one by my dehumidifier looks a little sad, and I dont know what is wrong or how to fix it.

I will edit post later with photos when I get to my computer.

MrBungle

try moving it away from the humidifier? or jus take the humidifier out of the equation? it is taking up valuable floor space in your tent, and a waste of energy at this point in time... The 5 gal pots watered probably creates enough humidity for those lil ones..

edit: I also like to keep my plugs suspended above the lights... just in case something spills or splashes on it... Good luck on your first grow! Looking forward to see how it turns out!!

edit edit: monitor your temps.... they could easily get chilly in those big pots when you are using the cooler LED lighting systems...

RB56

Veteran
If the humidifier fan is directly hitting the sad plant it could be messing with its transpiration. Gentle air movement is the goal. I've damaged a bunch of plants by leaving them in the direct path of a fan.

Kingkanna

That is a dehumidifier... I had condensation on the walls so I put it in there because I dont have a inline fan yet to help regulate the humidity in the tent. Should I take the dehumidifier out all together?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
what is the ambient Rh in the room they are in?
/is 70%+ humidity normal for your area?
i agree with the other posters and think you should move the unit outside the tent
like mrB said, that thing takes up a lot of real estate
/hes also on point re: suspending the electric wires in case of spills
if the room has such high humidity, lets put the unit outside the tent and then vent that air in to the grow area
if the humidity is caused by the plants then you can just vent it out of the tent vie your air circulation system
good luck on your first grow!

RB56

Veteran
If you don't have a fan moving air through your space, that should be your first priority. Regardless of the source, you don't want your plants being hit by continuous, strong wind. Ventilation is going to be key when you have any real volume of plant mass in there, if for no other reason than to supply them with CO2, although there are other reasons. I'd leave the tent open until you get that going.

Kingkanna

If you don't have a fan moving air through your space, that should be your first priority. Regardless of the source, you don't want your plants being hit by continuous, strong wind. Ventilation is going to be key when you have any real volume of plant mass in there, if for no other reason than to supply them with CO2, although there are other reasons. I'd leave the tent open until you get that going.

Thank you for the advice I do have a fan that moves back and forth on the tent post. I just dont have the charcoal filter with a inline duct fan.

Kingkanna

Thank you everyone. I have removed the dehumidifier have that plant some water and nutrient. Turned my fan down and opened a 6in vent on the tent to bring the humidity down. Because of the coco coir and smart pots I have so standing water in the bottom of the tent. I won't be watering them for a couple days because the pots are saturated. What else would y'all suggest? I do have the book "Marijuana Horticulture the Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible" by Jorge Cervantes.

MrBungle

get some 12 or 14 inch saucers.... the green ones are my fav, followed by the black ones.. but if you have to get the thin clear plastic ones from Lowes double them up

Mr. J

Those pots are way too big. I would suggest taking them out and putting them in Solo cups or something like that for now or else you're going to have all kinds of issues with feeding going forward.

RB56

Veteran
get some 12 or 14 inch saucers.... the green ones are my fav, followed by the black ones.. but if you have to get the thin clear plastic ones from Lowes double them up
This is a good idea. Once the plants are established you want to water/feed until you get runoff. That means collecting and disposing of that runoff. I've seen people use trays like MrBungle described and use a shop vac to empty the trays. Having a central drainage and collection system should be part of your long term planning since that will save a lot of time and can avoid flooding.

Kingkanna

Those pots are way too big. I would suggest taking them out and putting them in Solo cups or something like that for now or else you're going to have all kinds of issues with feeding going forward.

They were in solo cups and they weren't doing well because the cup was mostly roots. So I transplanted them and they picked right up... the soil temp stays at a consistent 70°F

Kingkanna

Thank you never thought of that. And the shop vac suggestion is good too. It's the little things that you never think over until you need it.

Kingkanna

So after some reading and what mot I believe that I have over watered them, and that the bottom of the pots were a bit cold so on the trays and I built stands to put the pots on with the trays underneath for full drainage. Will post pics in a couple days of update. Next week looking at getting inline fan and filter to suck alot of the humidity out.

Kingkanna

So after some reading and what mot I believe that I have over watered them, and that the bottom of the pots were a bit cold so on the trays and I built stands to put the pots on with the trays underneath for full drainage. Will post pics in a couple days of update. Next week looking at getting inline fan and filter to suck alot of the humidity out. The soil temp at bottom of smart pot is 59°F

MrBungle

Watering in fabric pots is a bit of a trick, you will get it down in no time.... It's good to start off with them though, so you learn how they work from the beginning...

For now while they are small they will only need a small amount (couple ounces at most) of water..

Circle all the way around the plant, a couple inches away from the base of the plant... the idea is to keep the moisture away from the roots, so they actually seek the water and start to grow out towards the edges of the pot...

Once they are established you can gradually add more water...

Usually we start the little plants in small cups and transplant them up as they get more mature... it is a way for us to monitor root growth and save space, among other things...

Let things dry out a little bit, and try this watering method. I think you will start to see some good growth

Latest posts

Latest posts