What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

recommendation for portable vape...

Bobby Boucher

Total speculation,

But all dab that I don't make stings the fuck out of the back of my throat. I'm not the only one who notices it. People who smoke my dab don't buy street dab anymore after noticing the same thing.

Might just be the shit thats available in my neck of the woods.

Assuming it's pesticide. I've ran a lot of stuff over the years from different indoor growers and never had this issue. Not until everything got flooded with commercial outdoor shit.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya, im pretty disappointed at the end of the day. i would much prefer to vape but the effects on my throat were too much to endure. i stopped vaping about 3 weeks ago and my throat is just now feeling back to normal.

What temps were you vaping at?

When I started, my lips would get dry. Coming from smoking, one is used to feel that hot, thick air, which not many vapes can produce, resulting in people taking longer, deeper hits.

Try vaping thru glass, dry will already make quite a difference and won't take the flavour away, else you can use water.

B

F

Fermented

What's your vape temp? that was my thought too...most new vape users tend to operate their vapes at too high a temperature. Try this, mist spray the bud if it's dry and vape the first heat cycle at a medium temp, then for the second heat cycle, grind the bud down to smaller pieces and vape at a higher (not highest) temp. If the temp you are running at is turning your bud to a dark brown, then it's too hot and this may affect your throat...but I think it's more to it than that, maybe you have a throat infection or the bud is harsh? Maybe check out your bud under magnification, sometimes very tiny synthetic fibers can cause a very harsh smoke. Have a doctor check your upper respiratory system (say Arrrrr"

Swamp Thang

Veteran
ya, im pretty disappointed at the end of the day. i would much prefer to vape but the effects on my throat were too much to endure. i stopped vaping about 3 weeks ago and my throat is just now feeling back to normal.

A tiny percentage of people who use a vape with no water in the inhalation path, get throat symptoms similar to, or even worse than the throat discomfort you describe.

The first time I used a vape, it was without a bubbler, and I nearly lost my life as a result. That dry vapor wreaked havoc on my throat and lungs, leaving me gasping for tiny breaths of air, until the doctor's prescribed antibiotic regime pulled be back from the brink.

Ever the guinea pig, I waited for my full recovery, and then used the same Airizer Air vaporizer with a bubbler. The result was NO further complications for me, and I now vape all the time, but ALWAYS with a water path to keep the vapor humidity up.

In my view, ALL vaporizers should be mandated to be sold with instructions that highly recommend the use of a bubbler, since for a minuscule percentage of people like me, dry vapor is DEADLY, to put the danger in blunt terms, pardon the pun.

mexweed

Veteran
just ordered a linx eden for $99, it's not here yet, but has glass tube, is tested for heavy metals, some places rated it best vape for under $100, has something called a lava plate for concentrates, apparently you can do flower and concentrate at the same time

mexweed

Veteran
totally worth the $99, I was getting good thick vapor on the lowest setting, then gradually stepping up to the second to hottest setting to finish the bowl off, contrary to a lot of yt reviews recommending the highest setting

Chi13

ICMag Donor
A tiny percentage of people who use a vape with no water in the inhalation path, get throat symptoms similar to, or even worse than the throat discomfort you describe.

The first time I used a vape, it was without a bubbler, and I nearly lost my life as a result. That dry vapor wreaked havoc on my throat and lungs, leaving me gasping for tiny breaths of air, until the doctor's prescribed antibiotic regime pulled be back from the brink.

Ever the guinea pig, I waited for my full recovery, and then used the same Airizer Air vaporizer with a bubbler. The result was NO further complications for me, and I now vape all the time, but ALWAYS with a water path to keep the vapor humidity up.

In my view, ALL vaporizers should be mandated to be sold with instructions that highly recommend the use of a bubbler, since for a minuscule percentage of people like me, dry vapor is DEADLY, to put the danger in blunt terms, pardon the pun.
I don't doubt your experience, but if you were treated with antibiotics that suggests infection. Surely you didn't get an instant infection when you dry vaped.

I had throat discomfort when I first tried vaping but got over it quickly.

For portable I love the Mighty. Expensive though and plastic, but good quality German plastic.

Last edited:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I am looking for a portable too.This will be my first vape.I was interested in a VapCap M because of a post Samuel Caldwell made about it delivering the closest to smoking a joint effect.I can't get past the having to carry a torch,and the fact that when heating one,it looks pretty suspect.No offense to Samuel.

So,I was looking at the Flowermate V5 Nano,because it does have the oven on the top,and it has some decent reviews and the price is attractive.Then I stumbled upon the Flowermate V5.0s for $80,and that sounded like a good option to start with as well.No idea if either could be used for micro dosing which I would like to have the ability to do.

Still,finding a vape that delivers an effect similar to smoking a joint would head my list.

I may look for a desktop vape,but that will have to be down the road.Money is tight.

mexweed

Veteran
impossible for vaping to be anything like a joint, the most efficient delivery of cannabinoids vs the least efficient, the primary difference I notice with vaping is no matter what strain it always makes me sleepy, it's like there's a cannabinoid that gets destroyed with combustion that I get a higher concentration of, the terps are a lot more robust genuinely aroma therapy level, better than even the very first puff of a joint

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I own 40 - 50 vapes. For a portable, I suggest The Edge by Healthy Rips.

The VapCap sucks. I use an induction heater with my VapCap and it's way better than a torch but I never take it outside. Too much like smoking crack in an illegal state. That entire 'torch' thing is a joke.

For a desktop, it's hard to beat a log vape. I use the E-Nano from Epic Vape. Very versatile.

Here's a link to the Edge. Use the discount code PUFFEDUP for 15% off.

https://puffitup.com/collections/fury-edge/products/fury-edge

I have 2 or 3 other vapes I rotate through but 90% of them sit on the shelf.

I still smoke about 10 joints a day and I agree that there is something about the high that is more 'intense' than vaping. I can only assume that it's the asphyxiation from the smoke.

As for taste, a joint will never hold a candle to a vape. I used to love the taste of smoking a joint (especially, like you said, the first hit). But the flavor you get from a vape just kicks the shit out of the taste of a joint. Even the first hit.

Here's a tip about vaping. The THC and the CBD are the last things to vape since the vaping temp is generally much higher on those 2 cannabinoids than it is on most of the terps. That's why a vape hit is often "all flavor" and no vapor. I set my vapes at 420F and they work great.

Vaping is not like smoking. There is a learning curve with every vape.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
impossible for vaping to be anything like a joint,

I hear ya,not expecting the same effect,just asking which is closest.I really have to look after my lungs after years of abuse.

I own 40 - 50 vapes. For a portable, I suggest The Edge by Healthy Rips.

The VapCap sucks. I use an induction heater with my VapCap and it's way better than a torch but I never take it outside. Too much like smoking crack in an illegal state. That entire 'torch' thing is a joke.

For a desktop, it's hard to beat a log vape. I use the E-Nano from Epic Vape. Very versatile.

Here's a link to the Edge. Use the discount code PUFFEDUP for 15% off.

https://puffitup.com/collections/fury-edge/products/fury-edge

I have 2 or 3 other vapes I rotate through but 90% of them sit on the shelf.

I still smoke about 10 joints a day and I agree that there is something about the high that is more 'intense' than vaping. I can only assume that it's the asphyxiation from the smoke.

As for taste, a joint will never hold a candle to a vape. I used to love the taste of smoking a joint (especially, like you said, the first hit). But the flavor you get from a vape just kicks the shit out of the taste of a joint. Even the first hit.

Here's a tip about vaping. The THC and the CBD are the last things to vape since the vaping temp is generally much higher on those 2 cannabinoids than it is on most of the terps. That's why a vape hit is often "all flavor" and no vapor. I set my vapes at 420F and they work great.

Vaping is not like smoking. There is a learning curve with every vape.

I'm currently leaning towards the Fury 2 after spending some time researching.I haven't sent money yet,so there is till time.It does however tick many of the boxes for me.They even sell a couple of bubblers for the thing.Not suggesting I'm going to haul all that stuff around with me tho.:D

I see people mentioning that the asphyxiation aspect may be the reason smoking is so different.I considered that as well,except that the asphyxiation effect probably wouldn't last for hours.But I don't know that with any degree of certainty.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The Fury2 is awesome. It is a smaller version of the Edge. The Edge has a few more features and the battery lasts longer. Other than that, they are similar.

The only problem with the Fury2 is the battery life. It definitely does not last all day like the Edge. Depends how much of a user you are. If you are a micro doser, the Fury is fine. If you're a heavy user, I might suggest moving up to the Edge.

Both are 15% off at puffitup.com with discount code PUFFEDUP

Chi13

ICMag Donor
impossible for vaping to be anything like a joint, the most efficient delivery of cannabinoids vs the least efficient, the primary difference I notice with vaping is no matter what strain it always makes me sleepy, it's like there's a cannabinoid that gets destroyed with combustion that I get a higher concentration of, the terps are a lot more robust genuinely aroma therapy level, better than even the very first puff of a joint
I agree vaping is not like a joint and likely never will be.
I have always found that vaping energises me rather than making me feel sleepy. I mostly vape sativa's but even Indicas don't really make me tired if I vape, but do if I smoke.
Guess cannabis effects people in different ways.

mexweed

Veteran
pretty sure it's cbn on the higher temps that makes me sleepy, some of the thc probably degrades on the lower temps as I turn the heat up and it keeps getting exposed to hotter air

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway
Dynavap is like my old one hitter. Torch and IH give different hits, I love them both. But yeah, my Dynavaps are only used around the house.
F2 was my commuter vape for more than a year. It's a nice little vape but the battery life was way too short for my needs. I'm planning on upgrading to an Edge soon.
Love my Mighty. Easiest to use, low draw resistance, great flavor. It's not the latest and greatest but it's a time proven design that fits my needs very well.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I looked hard at the Starry v3 too.I might have bit on that one until I saw a review stating that it had a high warranty claim rate.Too bad,it looked to have been a solid option.

Juan Budd

I have a few (and tried more) and Davinci IQ2 is way best portable. If you're interested, I'll tell more... but I have fractured my scapula so typing only worth it if it's worth it!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have a few (and tried more) and Davinci IQ2 is way best portable. If you're interested, I'll tell more... but I have fractured my scapula so typing only worth it if it's worth it!

I broke my back in March and it hurt like he** to sit forward to type,so I know what you mean.I'll look at the DaVinci.Hope you heal pronto!

On edit:

I appreciate the recommendation of the Davinci Juan,but at this point in time,it is easily twice what I can afford to pay for a first vape.

Thanks tho!

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
at this point in time,it is easily twice what I can afford to pay for a first vape.

Lower value vapes that still deliver include:

Dynavap, with the M entry model. A new one is produced each year. Get the one from last year and save some bucks. This is the kind of tool for former smokers, that want to feel the kick at the end of their throats

Boundless CFX, got no experience with it myself, but other people that know are impressed by what it delivers at a low price.

Pax 3, has a small form factor and good battery. With the Budkups, (un)loading and keeping the bowl clean is a breeze

Mighty, not really a low value vape, but the easiest to use. Getting something like this might actually save you money as you don't have to look around anymore, but might be the start of your VAS journey :dance013:

B

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts