Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Chimera Genetics / Breeders Retail > Ancestral Skunk #1 - Grow Show

Thread Title Search
Ancestral Skunk #1 - Grow Show Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM #1
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
Ancestral Skunk #1 - Grow Show

I got a couple packs of these to hunt through. I'm starting with about 50 of these seeds this round. As you can see these seeds are quite dirty.

Chimera was kind enough to post his protocol for popping old seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
The protocol I use is pretty simple.

5% bleach in autoclaved, distilled water with a couple of drops of Tween-20 per liter of solution. I sterilize the water in Duran jars (loose lids) in a pressure cooker @ 20 PSI for 20 minutes, and then allow the jars to cool under my flow hood and tighten the lids when the water has cooled. This is probably overkill for most purposes, but it's a variation of the protocol I use for sterilizing explants for tissue culture, and it seems to work with minimal contamination. You can get away with a drop of dish detergent instead of the Tween, I just have the tween-20 in the lab so I use it. If you are going to be doing a lot, you can order a few ml of Tween-20 on Amazon if you like.

First I rinse the seeds in a tight mesh strainer to remove any leaf debris that might be harboring bacteria or spores. These seeds were a little dirtier than most having been field grown, so you definitely want to wash away any superfluous materials. This can be up to a 5 minute rinse in lukewarm water. Cannabis achenes have a lot of little crevices where spores and bacteria can hide, so a thorough rinse is a wise step.

Then I take the seeds and drop them in maybe 100-200 mls of the bleach/Tween-20 solution in an Erlenmeyer flask, but any clean glass vessel will do -the seeds should be fully immersed, maybe 2x the volume of water as seed. You want to keep stirring and swishing the seeds around gently to ensure the current is washing away any contaminants. After a minute of swishing I remove the bleach and strain the seeds from the liquid and start again. No more than 3 minutes total, and if I see bleaching on the small test batch (always do a test batch to seed how the seeds react), sometimes I'll only do 2 minutes.

The next part is key. Immediately rinse 3-5 times (for 5 minutes per rinse) in the same sterilized distilled water (baby water / distilled water from Walmart or the local pharmacy is fine), again using a tight mesh strainer, or simply rinse the seeds in a different vessel with the same volume of water, at least 3 times to ensure the bleach is removed. I use a labratory orbita shaker, but you can do it by hand it's just a little tedious. Once the rinses are completed, soak the seeds in the distilled water as before, for 2-24 hours depending on the age of the seed and the medium you will be growing in. Sometimes I'll use agar plates, but most often I'll just sprout them in paper towels and transfer to a light dirt (like Light Warrior for you Americans) or surface sow on a .peat based planting substrate. You can use whatever medium you prefer, it's not that big of a deal as long as the seeds remain moist.
ReikoX is offline Quote

13 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 PM #2
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
First I needed some sterile water, so I put a few cups of RO water in the bottom of the pressure cooker along with a glass jar and lid. This was cooked @15 psi for 20 minutes. I let this cool and then poured the water into the sterilized jar for later.

Next I made a 5% bleach solution with a drop of detergent. This was also sterilized in the pressure cooker @15 psi for 20 minutes.

The two jars were allowed to cool. Then, I gave them a five minute wash in luke warm tap water through a mesh strainer.

After the rinse, they were put in a glass container and washed with the bleach solution for one minute. The seeds was strained through the strainer and washed two more times. Then, the seeds were put back in the container and rinsed with the sterile water for five minutes. Again, they were strained and rinsed two more times.

Finally they were covered with sterile water and allowed to soak in the cupboard for the next 24 hours.
ReikoX is offline Quote

22 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 PM #3
Buckeyebandit

Buckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the roughBuckeyebandit is a jewel in the rough
for sure in for this one.
Buckeyebandit is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:56 PM #4
Gry
Hash Tea

Gry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud ofGry has much to be proud of
Very nice !

Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 AM #5
KITCHA

KITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really niceKITCHA is just really nice
Pulling up a seat for the show RX

Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 AM #6
rexamus616
I GOTA LUST FOR LIFE!!

rexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nice
Mate, you've gone above and beyond the call of duty with your sterilization techniques... thanks for posting that!

(you even sterilized the bleach solution??! above and beyond....)

Go mate, go!
rexamus616 is online now Quote

Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 AM #7
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant future
This one looks interesting!

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: the church greenhouse seeds
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=345592

Get free seeds from skunk24! No purchase necessary!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339578
mr.brunch is offline Quote

Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM #8
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Can't wait to see the results but it looks like I'm going to have to.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM #9
Badfishy1

Badfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really nice
This is promising
Badfishy1 is offline Quote

Old 09-07-2017, 03:55 PM #10
Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to allSyd Barrett is a name known to all
Very interesting in many aspects!Good luck!
Syd Barrett is online now Quote