You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Best brand of Worm castings

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Sweet Seeds
Best brand of Worm castings Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2017, 03:40 AM #41
Golden Tree

Golden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to allGolden Tree is a name known to all
Your own

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:35 PM #42
hillbil

hillbil will become famous soon enough
Nitron has good castings which I've used a long while. Black Gold is 80% castings, 20% peat moss and the price is right at Ace. In rural places, castings and guanos and such can be a hard find. Black Kow manure might be the next best thing.
hillbil is offline Quote

Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 PM #43
neverforget4/20
Banned

neverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the roughneverforget4/20 is a jewel in the rough
Anyone else concerned about castings containing too much K? My recent soil tests showed too much K. I was well above the ideal range so I haven't been using my castings much. I use 7 gal soil fabric filled w 5 gals of soil, pots are loaded w worms.

With my next soil test I'm also going to get the castings analyzed.
neverforget4/20 is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 PM #44
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nice
I realize this is a somewhat outdated thread, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

I was wondering if the increased K in your castings was the result of one of the blends (worm gold?) referenced earlier, that incorporates rock dust and kelp?

I have some other questions I'll post in a separate reply to the thread as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverforget4/20 View Post
Anyone else concerned about castings containing too much K? My recent soil tests showed too much K. I was well above the ideal range so I haven't been using my castings much. I use 7 gal soil fabric filled w 5 gals of soil, pots are loaded w worms.

With my next soil test I'm also going to get the castings analyzed.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 PM #45
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nicemoose eater is just really nice
Years ago I used Black Gold castings (back then they were referenced/labeled as 'castings', where as, after, I assume, being confronted with the % of impurities, over a decade ago they changed their label to say 'worm compost,' as it wasn't strictly castings, and I had noted that it appeared to be less richly black over time).

Where I am, in the more northern area of Interior Alaska, not withstanding trips to Anchorage (da' big city for us) a good ways to the south, the two primary, 'seemingly' of quality, brands of castings are 'wonder worm' (pretty proud of their stuff, and spendy) and 'wiggle worm' (already mentioned in this thread.

Shipping to Alaska, even for commercial outlets, whether using barge and container cars, or trucking, is a pricy thing for the final cost to the consumer, thus we often pay a fair bit more than many of the folks have referenced who live down in the lower-48. (i.e., I would LOVE to get fresh, clean, local castings for $10/bag).

We run a larger compost pit or two for our family's scraps, as well as refuse from the veggie garden, and I'm sure there's worms in there, as I find them (a bit surprisingly, for how far north we are) when we harvest spuds, in fairly decent numbers. But as a rule, I don't use any untreated compost from the bins any place other than in the veggies. The chance of importing disease worries me.

Soooo, any serious qualitative knowledge re. comparing 'wiggle worm' versus 'wonder worm'? (*The only place I can get wonder worm, my preferred castings, for something that doesn't make me pass out from sticker shock, is in Los Anchorage).

Old 09-14-2017, 01:58 AM #46
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
my fav commercial castings are agrowinn been using them for at least 5 years and they filled my containers with worms meaning they don't sterilize them never any pests

very happy with the product but I am working on my now

I know some of my friends swear by locals producing vermiculture but hey are in farming areas, I am not

https://www.fertilizeronline.com/wormcast.php

Quality Assurance:
  • Lab Tested: 99% Pure Organic Worm-Castings
  • Not produced with yard waste, landfill waste or compost
  • Not made with Horse, Cow or any grazing animal manure
  • Guaranteed Weedseed free
  • Organic Material Review Institute “OMRI” listed
  • Indoor manufactured and fed a controlled quality diet
  • The worms Diet includes high quality mineral rock dust
  • Free of E-Coli and Salmonella
  • Contains natural soil microbes
  • Guaranteed the Highest Standard for Worm-Castings

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 AM #47
moose eater

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that one up here.

I'll check around and see if any of the gardening stores in the Interior or around Anchorage have expanded the brands they carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird View Post
my fav commercial castings are agrowinn been using them for at least 5 years and they filled my containers with worms meaning they don't sterilize them never any pests

very happy with the product but I am working on my now

I know some of my friends swear by locals producing vermiculture but hey are in farming areas, I am not

https://www.fertilizeronline.com/wormcast.php

Quality Assurance:
  • Lab Tested: 99% Pure Organic Worm-Castings
  • Not produced with yard waste, landfill waste or compost
  • Not made with Horse, Cow or any grazing animal manure
  • Guaranteed Weedseed free
  • Organic Material Review Institute “OMRI” listed
  • Indoor manufactured and fed a controlled quality diet
  • The worms Diet includes high quality mineral rock dust
  • Free of E-Coli and Salmonella
  • Contains natural soil microbes
  • Guaranteed the Highest Standard for Worm-Castings

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 AM #48
cooterbrown420

cooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nicecooterbrown420 is just really nice
cooterbrown420 has completed 3 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I love organics alive worm castings. They offer a general mix and then a bloom specific mix.

general mix

Organics Alive Worm Castings are CDFA and CCOF certified organic and all natural. They provide an earth friendly option besides toxic and damaging chemical fertilizers and smelly organic manures.

Worm castings are a by-product of Red Wiggler Earthworms. Organics Alive Earthworms consume a pure vegan diet creating a casting that is 7-10 times more powerful than conventional compost. It is rich in NPK, micronutrients and beneficial soil micro-organisms. The high porosity, and water holding capability, greatly increases the moisture-retaining capacity of your garden, drastically reducing your water usage.

Organics Alive Earthworm Castings is abundant in nutrients. It is rich in humus, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, micro-nutrients, and beneficial soil micro-organisms. Studies showed that exchangeable potassium (K) was over 95% higher in Organics Alive Compost compared with conventional compost. There are also over 60% higher amounts of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). Organics Alive worm castings have very high porosity, aeration, and water holding capacity decreasing water usage and dependency. It contains plant-available nutrients and increases the stowing capacity of nutrients for longer period of time.

Unrivaled Results!!

Bloom mix

Organics Alive Worm Casting Bloom is a specific vegan topper or backfill made for fruiting and flowering trees and plants. We use a special diet fed to Red Wigglers to create Organics Alive Worm Castings.

We add our vegetable compost at a ratio of 70:1 C:N for balanced and optimal biological multiplication. The multi mineral additives were sourced for their purity, optimal CEC, and high levels of specific trace minerals to ensure optimal phosphorus, potassium and Calcium availability as well as focus on co- minerals and trace minerals to maximize absorption during pH and moisture shifts. Organics Alive Worm Castings Bloom focuses on the top 10cm of the soil horizon which has the most available Phosphorus. Adding the active and potent Organics Alive Worm Castings, increases the cycling of phosphorus from the roots to aboveground plant biomass. This cycle is constant with the proper
biology and will increase availability and absorption by your plants during flower stages of growth. Many factors attribute to your plants intake of Phosphorus and Potassium such as mineral balance, Biological balance, pH, and moisture. Worm Castings Bloom checks off all these factors and is apparent when used during planting or transition period of your plant cycle. Organics Alive Worm Castings Bloom will increase the health of your plants and trees to the end of its life cycle to produce high quality crops and increased yields.

• Add a 1⁄2 inch layer to your existing garden beds and around drip line of plants or mix at 15% in your soil or garden mix

Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 AM #49
moose eater

Thanks cooter. I typically put 15% to 20% in my soil mixes. Wonder Worm brand when I have it on-hand. I'm down to nothing but Wiggle Worm at the moment.

I've used the Worm Gold or what ever it is with the rock phosphate and kelp in it before, but prefer to mix my own nutes where other additions are involved, so I can have a more clear idea of what levels are going in.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 AM #50
KIS

KIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose eater View Post
Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that one up here.

I'll check around and see if any of the gardening stores in the Interior or around Anchorage have expanded the brands they carry.
Check with jay at Fairtrade Organics. They can source good castings for you if they don't have in stock. He's been carrying all the soil amendments and such for the past year for growers. Good guy too.
KIS is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.