Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Marijuana News > Orin Hatch Introduces Medical Marijuana Bill

Thread Title Search
Advertise on ICMag - Click for more info
Orin Hatch Introduces Medical Marijuana Bill Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 AM #1
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
Orin Hatch Introduces Medical Marijuana Bill

I think Jeff Sessions has over-reached so much that lawmakers are pushing back.

Quote:
Sep 13 2017

Hatch Introduces Medical Marijuana Research Bill

Washington, D.C.– Today, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced the Marijuana Effective Drug Study Act of 2017, or MEDS Act, to improve the process for conducting scientific research on marijuana as a safe and effective medical treatment. In introducing this legislation, Senator Hatch was joined by Senator Schatz (D-HI) and cosponsors Senator Chris Coons (D-DE), Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO), and Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC).

“It’s high time to address research into medical marijuana,” Hatch said. “Our country has experimented with a variety of state solutions without properly delving into the weeds on the effectiveness, safety, dosing, administration, and quality of medical marijuana. All the while, the federal government strains to enforce regulations that sometimes do more harm than good. To be blunt, we need to remove the administrative barriers preventing legitimate research into medical marijuana, which is why I’ve decided to roll out the MEDS Act.”

“I urge my colleagues to join Senator Schatz and me in our joint effort to help thousands of Americans suffering from a wide-range of diseases and disorders. In a Washington at war with itself, I have high hopes that this bipartisan initiative can be a kumbaya moment for both parties.”

Senator Hatch will be speaking on the Senate floor about the MEDS Act and the potential benefits of medical marijuana today at 3:30 p.m. EDT. Follow the speech live here.

The MEDS Act will:
  • Encourage more research on the potential medical uses of marijuana by streamlining the research registration process, without imposing a scheduling determination on the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
  • Make marijuana more available for legitimate scientific and medical research and the commercial production of any FDA-approved drugs derived from marijuana.
  • Retain important checks to protect against diversion or abuse of the controlled marijuana substances.
  • Require the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) to develop and publish recommendations for good manufacturing practices for growing and producing marijuana for research.
  • Require the Attorney General to increase the national marijuana quota in a timely manner to meet the changing medical, scientific, and industrial needs for marijuana.
  • Codify the administration’s decision to terminate the Public Health Service and its review of proposals for medical research on marijuana.Prevent the Department of Health and Human Services from instituting any other marijuana-specific protocol reviews, other than the voluntary review that a researcher can request from National Institutes of Health (NIH) in order to access the expedited DEA registration process.

Permalink: https://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/...-research-bill
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 AM #2
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
The guy's a comedian! Hatch is cool

“It’s high time to address research into medical marijuana,” Hatch said. “Our country has experimented with a variety of state solutions without properly delving into the weeds on the effectiveness, safety, dosing, administration, and quality of medical marijuana. All the while, the federal government strains to enforce regulations that sometimes do more harm than good. To be blunt, we need to remove the administrative barriers preventing legitimate research into medical marijuana, which is why I’ve decided to roll out the MEDS Act.”

“I urge my colleagues to join Senator Schatz and me in our joint effort to help thousands of Americans suffering from a wide-range of diseases and disorders. In a Washington at war with itself, I have high hopes that this bipartisan initiative can be a kumbaya moment for both parties.”
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 02:52 PM #3
CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really niceCosmicCharlie is just really nice
^ lol yeah.

Cannabis is legal in D.C. You know some of them are blazing.
CosmicCharlie is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM #4
geneva_sativa

geneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud ofgeneva_sativa has much to be proud of
Orin Hatch is out of Utah and is heavily involved with the Pharma/Supplement industry that Utah is famous for. . .

not sure if this is a good thing for us or not. . .
geneva_sativa is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 PM #5
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneva_sativa View Post
Orin Hatch is out of Utah and is heavily involved with the Pharma/Supplement industry that Utah is famous for. . .

not sure if this is a good thing for us or not. . .
Orin is also pushing for med laws in his state, from what I've been told. I haven't seen any actual news feeds to confirm this, however.
MJPassion is offline Quote