You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Nutrients and Fertilizers > Chitosan

Thread Title Search
Click for RX Green Solutions
Chitosan Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 AM #351
pumpkinpie eyes

pumpkinpie eyes has a spectacular aura aboutpumpkinpie eyes has a spectacular aura aboutpumpkinpie eyes has a spectacular aura aboutpumpkinpie eyes has a spectacular aura aboutpumpkinpie eyes has a spectacular aura about
use it sparingly. attracts varmints and can do damage if too much applied.
pumpkinpie eyes is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM #352
TheOutlawTree

TheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Ornamental View Post
Taken from my notes (agricultural recommendations for common field crops):
Chitosan and its oligosaccharide are used at 50-200 ppm for foliar application on seedlings, at 1’000 ppm to soak seeds, and at 1’000-2’500 ppm as soil drench or foliar application against bacterial diseases.
I tried 1 teaspoon in 1 gallon of water and it's only .1 mS/cm which I think is 100ppm? If that's right , I would need 125ml per gallon to achieve 2500ppm which isn't really cost effective in any commercial agriculture. I must be wrong in my conversion of this measurement to ppm?

Years ago I remember reading 1 gram per gallon but some people were saying that was potentially over kill.
TheOutlawTree is online now Quote

Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM #353
Only Ornamental
Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist

Only Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to allOnly Ornamental is a name known to all
You can only use the EC readings to estimate ppm with mineral salts. Chitosan is an organic molecule which brings a good part of carbohydrate with it and that isn't detectable. As a fun&learning experience add common sugar to water and use the EC meter .
The ppm are easier to determine with a scale. Weigh your spoon full of chitosan and divide it (in milligrams!) by 3.785 (if you're using US liquid gallons) and that's your ppm. A heaped teaspoon full of chitosan weighs probably a few grams, for ease's sake let's say 3.785 g. That's 1'000 ppm and that's used 1-3 times per crop cycle or year on agricultural crops. For everyday (or rather everyweek) use I'd try 50-200 ppm. The high doses are meant to really give the plant's immune system a kick in the a and have it full throttle in war mode (the treated plants likely have a pest or disease already and need a "cure"). That comes at a cost; you can't have it both, growth and defence (ask your president... well, HE might indeed say that economic growth and war can be had at the same time but that ain't true in biology LoL).
BTW the conversion of EC in mS/cm to ppm is a factor of 500 for US standards or in your case 50 ppm.

Please spare a 'like', a dear friend of mine could need some motivation. Thanks!

Brainer on Retainer
: Why not rent a brain by the hour?
OO now on time-sharing
Only Ornamental is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM #354
jidoka

jidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nicejidoka is just really nice
Is it 100% Chitosan?
jidoka is offline Quote

Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 AM #355
TheOutlawTree

TheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the roughTheOutlawTree is a jewel in the rough
Yeah I think it's nearly pure, not sure on exact %

Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM #356
Lyfespan

Lyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to allLyfespan is a name known to all
got some of the chitosan from ben and yes, you will see a difference in your bloom yields. looking to get a drum ordered up
Lyfespan is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 PM #357
beta

beta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the rough
Great thread, thanks to everyone who has participated (and in particular Only Ornamental)!

I'm helping a friend deal with a 'dud' type problem - Yields are fine but the flower itself is trash, very little smell / trichome / essential oil production. It started with GG#4 and spread to WiFi he started from seed. His first run of WiFi was awesome, the second run and everyvone afterward was basically hemp.

Here's the plan, based on the input of everyone in this thread:

I'll purchase Chitosan Oligosaccharide with a low molecular weight (~1500) from eBay.

For the first dose (which will only be applied to vegging / very early bloom plants), I'll foliar AND soil drench with a ~1000ppm solution (appx. 3.785 grams per gallon).

After the first dose, I'll do a weekly maintenance foliar with a ~200ppm solution (appx. 0.757 grams per gallon).

Two questions:

1) Is it safe to use this maintenance foliar from clone to harvest or should I stop after a certain point of flower?

2) Is it safe to combine my chitosan foliar with a seaweed extract foliar or my weekly JMS stylet oil spray?

Thanks again for all the great advice here!
beta is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM #358
beta

beta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the roughbeta is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Great thread, thanks to everyone who has participated (and in particular Only Ornamental)!

I'm helping a friend deal with a 'dud' type problem - Yields are fine but the flower itself is trash, very little smell / trichome / essential oil production. It started with GG#4 and spread to WiFi he started from seed. His first run of WiFi was awesome, the second run and everyvone afterward was basically hemp.

Here's the plan, based on the input of everyone in this thread:

I'll purchase Chitosan Oligosaccharide with a low molecular weight (~1500) from eBay.

For the first dose (which will only be applied to vegging / very early bloom plants), I'll foliar AND soil drench with a ~1000ppm solution (appx. 3.785 grams per gallon).

After the first dose, I'll do a weekly maintenance foliar with a ~200ppm solution (appx. 0.757 grams per gallon).

Two questions:

1) Is it safe to use this maintenance foliar from clone to harvest or should I stop after a certain point of flower?

2) Is it safe to combine my chitosan foliar with a seaweed extract foliar or my weekly JMS stylet oil spray?

Thanks again for all the great advice here!
beta is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 PM #359
kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid has a spectacular aura aboutkalopatchkid has a spectacular aura aboutkalopatchkid has a spectacular aura aboutkalopatchkid has a spectacular aura aboutkalopatchkid has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Ornamental View Post
You can only use the EC readings to estimate ppm with mineral salts. Chitosan is an organic molecule which brings a good part of carbohydrate with it and that isn't detectable. As a fun&learning experience add common sugar to water and use the EC meter .
The ppm are easier to determine with a scale. Weigh your spoon full of chitosan and divide it (in milligrams!) by 3.785 (if you're using US liquid gallons) and that's your ppm. A heaped teaspoon full of chitosan weighs probably a few grams, for ease's sake let's say 3.785 g. That's 1'000 ppm and that's used 1-3 times per crop cycle or year on agricultural crops. For everyday (or rather everyweek) use I'd try 50-200 ppm. The high doses are meant to really give the plant's immune system a kick in the a and have it full throttle in war mode (the treated plants likely have a pest or disease already and need a "cure"). That comes at a cost; you can't have it both, growth and defence (ask your president... well, HE might indeed say that economic growth and war can be had at the same time but that ain't true in biology LoL).
BTW the conversion of EC in mS/cm to ppm is a factor of 500 for US standards or in your case 50 ppm.
Thanks for this. I have been using an EC meter and it takes a fair amount of chitosan to reach 200ppm on the meter....If I've done the math correctly 3.785g/1000ppms = 0.757 grams/200ppm
kalopatchkid is offline Quote