What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

using the carbon in old filters as biochar?

G

Gr33nSanta

Anyone else doing this? Seems to me like the perfect biochar to throw in a soil mix?

G

Gr33nSanta

air from the grow room! the dust in it comes from the dust generated by the soil in the room over the years.

I just think if you have ever thrown a can filter in the trash you basically throwing out a valuable soil amendment.

Bmac1

Veteran
That is a good idea and im glad to hear it is suitable. I have 50lbs in my old filter. I did buy some charged biochar for my new mix though.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is very suitable as the ageing process is complete and the char will have a neutral ph value and won't dramatically raise the ph of your medium like fresh char will...

G

Gr33nSanta

I ll just start dumping it over my worm farm, every couple of years they will get a little top dress!

Farm Hero

Yea, have dumped many spent carbon filters into the compost heap. The carbon pellets don't break down very fast ime.

In the heap, ya can't hardly tell the carbon pellets and the fresh rabbit dung pellets apart from a distance.

redlaser

Veteran
Yea, have dumped many spent carbon filters into the compost heap. The carbon pellets don't break down very fast ime.

In the heap, ya can't hardly tell the carbon pellets and the fresh rabbit dung pellets apart from a distance.

I would wonder if they ever break down. A method to keep fence posts from decaying is to burn the ends that go into the ground. Not sure if it works forever or just a lot longer than not burning the ends