What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mangu'Carot & K1 - french touch seeds

thejact55

So I've been sitting on tropical seeds double zamal, and I just swooped up FTS K1, which I'm excited about. How does the double zamal stack versus k1? I see a fair amount on k1, but not much on the double. Would any of you have a preference of the two? Thoughts about the differences of the two? Is the double "worked more" in any way, like as far as stabilized or bred for any specific traits, or is it a simple cross of two reunion island plant? Thanks in advance.

seeded

So I've been sitting on tropical seeds double zamal, and I just swooped up FTS K1, which I'm excited about. How does the double zamal stack versus k1? I see a fair amount on k1, but not much on the double. Would any of you have a preference of the two? Thoughts about the differences of the two? Is the double "worked more" in any way, like as far as stabilized or bred for any specific traits, or is it a simple cross of two reunion island plant? Thanks in advance.
I hope you do a grow diary for them. They're gonna be epic :biggrin:

earthwyrms

fleet assembly

fleet assembly

i asked an online helper from Tropical Seeds Company, once about their strains. he asked a breeder who was there and he said. the double zamal and old congo were the strongest weed. the assistant said from personal experience that the zambian was clear, a typical sativa and that the senegal had an effect of locking something in your mind or something, like being transfixed or something, i don't remember.

later i read a poster on icmag (i thought/think) tat the double zamal was either stoney or narcotic or something, which i was surprised by. but this may have been a certain plant. for example, i have read a description of U.S.C Coljam (columbian gold 1972 x jamaican lambsbread) x columbian gold 1972), that described them as electric and stimulating (and threw out the one longer flowering pheno), whereas the U.S.C description itself mentions a balance of stone and high, and there being a 1 in 20 plant zinger, which is electric. so it is hard to tell for me at least.

the K1 LOOKS LIKE A SPECTACULAR HEIRLOOM

*i have tried and tried and have been unable to find a pdf or document link that i found, while looking for info on zamal strains. it was when i was trying to find the best zamal and read some posts by zamalito on a thread/s somewhere here. unfortunately even after trying to search his posts, to refind the thread, and the link posted by someone else, i couldn't.
anyway the gist is this,
it was an old old colonial account (french) of the peoples on the island. it mentioned the mangu carrot and stated or alluded to or i remember thinking it alluded to, that there was better weed than the common mangu carrot type which was everywhere. my memory is not crystal clear on what they wrote exactly. i then got the thought, that after the natives (were probably) exploited by colonial forces, and became more like whatever it is today, and more free, that the popular "mangu carrot" might have taken on a name for itself because of novelty smell and widespread availability

, but that is why i went for the K1 and not the other ones. it's leaves seem to be really thin and there does not seem to be so many heirlooms as important as that one, at least from behind a keyboard/monitor.

that being said, apparently gypsy's mangu carrot is gnarly, and is what ace used in making zamadelica, which i guess is being bred towards that zamal. i don't know how the french touch mangu carrot compares to the gypsy nirvana one. also, the mango pepper from french touch lists "An exclusive cross from a mother Mangu'Carot (landrace most widespread on the island) with a Purple father Mafate or Mauve Poivrée ... another landrace much rarer". grow pis of the K1 here on the forum show purple phenos of the K1, with Extreme thin leaf. i believe it's a winner

peace and long life
grow long and prosper :)

Last edited:

thejact55

That was kind of my gut feeling. The K1 being more rugged and authentic. I had a fear of double zamal being more "dumbed down", while I'm sure it's an awesome plant, I felt a stonger draw to the K1. Not knocking tropical seeds, i just ran the senegal, which was awesome. So manipuri and K1 will be my next seed runs, after my mango biche finishes in 10 weeks or so. So many long flowering plants, so little time!

If room permits, maybe I will run a female or two double zamal to see the comparison, and hit it with the k1 male pollen.

48N

That was kind of my gut feeling. The K1 being more rugged and authentic. I had a fear of double zamal being more "dumbed down", while I'm sure it's an awesome plant, I felt a stonger draw to the K1. Not knocking tropical seeds, i just ran the senegal, which was awesome. So manipuri and K1 will be my next seed runs, after my mango biche finishes in 10 weeks or so. So many long flowering plants, so little time!

If room permits, maybe I will run a female or two double zamal to see the comparison, and hit it with the k1 male pollen.

What can you tell us about the Senegal haze from tropical seed company?

baduy

Double Zamal is Zamal Reunion X Mauritius so a hybrid between two geographically very close cultivars.
In La Reunion Highlands you have three main cirques: Cilaos, Salazie and Mafate, of the three Mafate being the most landlocked, only accessible by foot and because of this famous for long for being a relatively safe haven for growing. I think strains could be named after their cirques of origin but local folklore decided otherwise and people starting to move from their birthplace became more common with seeds being widespread around the island so now I think Zamal is more of a genetic mash up of all the ancient different strains from the island and the names K1, mangue Karotte etc are a kind of pheno hunt.
By the way no natives and no colons in La Reunion as it was a desert Island when the first French/Bretons sailors landed foot there, no racial divide there the créoles can be Bretons, Tamuls or Chinese doesn't matter. No colons either but z'oreilles(ears) name for the french who can't speak créole and get angry when they hear people talking some strange language so their ears turn red :D

thejact55

that you baduy and Genghis. those were the answers I was searching for. the maurituis is quiet beautiful. appreciate the input and clarification.

earthwyrms

Double Zamal is Zamal Reunion X Mauritius so a hybrid between two geographically very close cultivars.
In La Reunion Highlands you have three main cirques: Cilaos, Salazie and Mafate, of the three Mafate being the most landlocked, only accessible by foot and because of this famous for long for being a relatively safe haven for growing. I think strains could be named after their cirques of origin but local folklore decided otherwise and people starting to move from their birthplace became more common with seeds being widespread around the island so now I think Zamal is more of a genetic mash up of all the ancient different strains from the island and the names K1, mangue Karotte etc are a kind of pheno hunt.
By the way no natives and no colons in La Reunion as it was a desert Island when the first French/Bretons sailors landed foot there, no racial divide there the créoles can be Bretons, Tamuls or Chinese doesn't matter. No colons either but z'oreilles(ears) name for the french who can't speak créole and get angry when they hear people talking some strange language so their ears turn red :D
thanks,
it's odd because i thought the pdf i read was british observations, but then thought it must have been french later, and now that i can't find it and you wrote about the island, i am thoroughly confused about what i read once. :(

Genghis Kush

"Not much is known of Réunion's history prior to the arrival of the Portuguese in the early sixteenth century. Arab traders were familiar with it by the name Dina Morgabin. The island is possibly featured on a map from 1153 AD by Al Sharif el-Edrisi. The island might also have been visited by Swahili or Austronesian (Ancient Indonesian-Malaysian) sailors on their journey to the west from the Malay Archipelago to Madagascar.

The first European discovery of the area was made around 1507 by Portuguese explorer Diogo Fernandes Pereira, but the specifics are unclear. The uninhabited island might have been first sighted by the expedition led by Dom Pedro Mascarenhas, who gave his name to the island group around Réunion, the Mascarenes. Réunion itself was dubbed Santa Apolónia after a favourite saint, which suggests that the date of the Portuguese discovery could have been 9 February, her saint day. Diogo Lopes de Sequeira is said to have landed on the islands of Réunion and Rodrigues in 1509.

Over a century later, nominal Portuguese rule had left Santa Apolónia virtually untouched. The island was then occupied by France and administered from Port Louis, Mauritius. Although the first French claims date from 1638, when François Cauche and Salomon Goubert visited in June 1638, the island was officially claimed by Jacques Pronis of France in 1642, when he deported a dozen French mutineers to the island from Madagascar. The convicts were returned to France several years later, and in 1649, the island was named Île Bourbon after the French Royal House of Bourbon. Colonization started in 1665, when the French East India Company sent the first settlers."

baduy

Yes colons indeed but no natives spoiled from their land.
French colons 2nd sons from "the good and the great", convicts, bretons sailors mutineers and manual workers from the poorest places as usual, everyone came to this island as an immigrant in the first place.

TuDank

Any smoke reports on the k1/ mangu carot/ mango pepper?
Someone on here mentioned the mangu carot had an introverted quality but didn't elaborate further

48N

Any smoke reports on the k1/ mangu carot/ mango pepper?
Someone on here mentioned the mangu carot had an introverted quality but didn't elaborate further

would like to know as well as im very interested in zamal genetics

thejact55

I actually cant remember seeing any smoke reports on these genetics. Seen a few grows, but no reports. I have k1 on standby for winter, but no help myself.

earthwyrms

i just found the gypsy nirvana zamal thread, zamal GN, AND the picture of writing on a piece of paper read that it came from a part of the island where the slaves escaped to and also, that the guy gypsy got it from hadn't even seen the ocean ( :( ) any way i am guessing that that is close to or the legendary secret or whatever bud kept there on the island that i (pretty certain) read about in an old colonial era article or something. wow

i don't know if the pure line is being released anymore or how to get it. i think i read that ace is crossing the zamaldelica back to get close to or something like a BX of the gypsy one or a 26% cut of zamaldelia cut or something i don't remember. also, i read someone on opengrow mention that the 26% cut zamaldelica made them tired, so i don't know what about the details like an odd malawi pheno ( like maybe there is indica way back in that specific malawi type. also, someone here had a wide leaf looking malawi, but that and the sleepy 26% one could be mislabeled seeds from various vendors or even from ace on accident, hell i don't know). i grew out two zamaldelica females in my 1st/2ndish grow but they were seeded so early by a jalisco IBL male that they didn't really develop anything but seeds and i had no idea when the harvesting was correct because i was juggling alot and didn't keep track of the days. i vaped them and i didn't cure it at all. i couldn't feel it at first, but i got accustomed and the smoke was horrible because i didn't cure it (or that might have been my attemp with the next grow of furthering a kerala krush self or cross with king congo, or on both account's. i don't remember), and so instead put it through my eclipse essential vape through a bong (my lungs whooo).

i had originally thought k1 was the purest because it go's back to the 60's so it made more sense to me when looking for a surefire pure landrace. if anyone knows about the GN zamal seeds, i'm looking.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336344

thejact55

Respectfully, ace and cannabiogen have a great business model, and i respect the work they do. I have a ton of both their seeds. But of your looking for a landrace type plant, that isnt the place (with exceptions, mango biche, honduras, ect). What are the thoughts on french touch K1 and mangu carrot? Maybe double zamal from tropical? I own both K1 and double zamal, they are set for this winter in my tents. From reports these look fairly valid. Zamdelica in my opinion is not a pool to search for a zamal type plant imo.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Hello!someone who has growing this strains has noticed hermie or autoflowering?i have 2 pack but no more info on web....