What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TGA Genetics- Concerning Potency...

S

Spider Crab

If they misguide people by saying that something is super potent when it isn't, that isn't right.

Honestly, i don't understand why everyone wants super potent herb?

Seems crazy to me.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Got quantum pack in the fridge, will be back soon with pics...
I'm sure TGA gears are good a bit overpriced imo.

The seed banks set the prices so if they are expensive blame them. I've heard from several breeders that they only get $1.00 to $1.50 a seed. If you get the seeds from a lot of dispensaries they will be about half the price that places like Attitude sell them for.

FlaDankster

Veteran
A select pheno of AO and qleaner and querkle have been the strongest of his gear i have had.Did some pandoras box that i got a pheno out of that for some reason ALL the ladies loved.

OgRastaman

there is a market for every thing just depends what side of the spectrum you are on as the lil guy who only can get an 8th a week u would probably want the most potent thing u can get your hands on if you grow the you might want big yeilds and decent taste, if you are a grower/con issuer u probably are looking for taste,potency, yeild, ect. There is a huge market for b grad tree that looks great taste great and has a mediocre punch that is the clinics favorite thing to get because it gets smoked fast but its not stony enough to last a long time, and normally is cheaper due to the growers larger yield and/or lac of potency.

There is enough tree for every one! Bless

Ollie

Veteran
Each person his taste, not to choose site , but several has said it lacks potency and several people have said its making bomb extracts .. maybe it all depends on how we look at the Picture, lets all be happy and enjoy the selection we have at current days :)

Peace

sahdgrower

My Vortex

My Vortex

Here is my TGA Vortex plants after 2 weeks of flowering. 4 plants in horizontal scrog and 2 in vertical. This is my first RDWC grow, first scrog, first vert and first indoor grow in 20 years. So probably a lot of user error on my part. My impressions though is that this strain is super branchy. Dunno how else to explain it. Here are the pics.

I am growing under 600w for each one. The horizontal is a Gavita that I would like to modify to also grow vertically. I didn't realize how much the horizontal scrog would kill my back to maintain.

B

Bob Green

Anyone tryed his Apollo BX1's? I have had a pack laying around sense 2010 and have wondered about them.

fabvariousk

Veteran
I have only tried jacks cleaner and 3d. Jacks cleaner is as strong as anything out there and my three D has the greatest raw potency of any strain I have ever smoked.
I think sub goes more for headies than pain killers and if you smoke a lot of heavy indicas the nuances of his strains are lost and they are perceived as less potent.

Unless we see lab analysis, any talk of "potency", or the lack of it, whether of the "pain-relief/couch-lock" or the "spacey-energizing-creative" variety, is just talk.

If any of those who complained about the lack of "potency" in TGA product would care to suggest other strains that could be crossed with TGA strains to produce superior product, we'd certainly entertain their opinion.

Crosses of TGA males to "elite clones" might be an option since a number of TGA strains are already severely inbred from the same handful of Bros. Grimm/Vic High crosses.

( One symptom of TGA's genetic bottleneck is the regular appearance of "Siamese Twin" sprouts from their seeds. )

Does anyone have opinions about "potent" strains, available from the "usual suspects", that are better values than TGA seeds?

We really don't have a dog in this fight, ... just curiosity. Back in the days of OG/CW, we were gifted with some seeds of original JTR crossed with the C99/Grapefruit cross made by Vic High. Just a few of them produced enough seed to last for decades. We've tried several other, commercial, TGA strains since, and have a few still left in the freezer for when we get around to them. ( Haven't had a grow for the past few years ... several transitions have intervened. )

smk8000

I wouldn't say Jack the Ripper lacks potency. Its a powerful creeper than sneaks up on you and next thing you know you're in your own world. NOT a social/party smoke but rather hits you with a 2x4 right after you start wondering if it's working or not. My only other experience with TGA was Cheesequake and that had respectable potency. Much smoother the JTR and very relaxing where JTR can bring a bit of paranoia.

t99

Veteran
Check out Catnip Seeds. (Seedbay private breeders) He has several Agent Orange crosses, and has won some ICmag Cup awards. Also, his crossing projects are pretty well documented here on ICmag.

Homebrewer

Veteran
Unless we see lab analysis, any talk of "potency", or the lack of it, whether of the "pain-relief/couch-lock" or the "spacey-energizing-creative" variety, is just talk.

Is a 20%+ THC number all-of-a-sudden going to change someone's opinion of a strain that they didn't think was potent? As you may or may not know, the medicinal/recreational effect of our herb is a sum of many compounds working with and against each other. Impressive or unimpressive lab numbers are far from exactly quantifying our experience.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is a 20%+ THC number all-of-a-sudden going to change someone's opinion of a strain that they didn't think was potent? As you may or may not know, the medicinal/recreational effect of our herb is a sum of many compounds working with and against each other. Impressive or unimpressive lab numbers are far from exactly quantifying our experience.

I agree... Those tests only serve the purpose of marketing at this point in time.
Once these labs can quantify the other chemicals that are related to the "high" & have matching experiences, the results will be much more justifiable as a measure of potency.
Until then, all they're good for is determining whether a particular plant is good for THC or CBD.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of the most "potent" plants are the landrace sativas like Panama Red, testing at a meezly 6% THC content...

Brelva

It seems like the race too eek out a higher THC percentage will be a short lived one now that the knowledge of the entourage effect is spreading more and more. Trying to quantify the quality of cannabis through a single number is fairly ludicrous at any rate. On top of that, the rise of concentrates makes flower potency even more irrelevant.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But I likes me flowers. They'll never be totally replaced, imo.

I prefer the full effect I guess. Concentrates seem to fade to quickly, for me.

The lab linked above has a fairly comprehensive set of numbers. While not conclusive by any means, at least there's a base-line. None of the complaints about the TGA seed-lines contained anything by which to quantify that opinion. There were no test numbers, and no comparisons to other seed-lines from other breeders.

G

Gr33nSanta

I have come across a couple a couple growers testing their pennywises and reporting no CBD whatsoever after testing, Id like to hear from others who have grown pennywise and gotten their samples tested.

I gave up my CBD shark because I figured my pennywise would easily be over 5-6% CBD but now I am worried that I will have to hunt some more for a CBD rich plant...