What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds of Africa seedbank???

supervince

malawi gold fo sure.

the durban and zamal had a lot of what looked to be indica in them. took a lot to get the sativa phenos. malawi gold was much more uniform for me. a few "no germinations", a few runts.

much much easier to find a winner with one pack of mg (again in my limited experience) , better yields, better weed imo (fantastic smoke), good taste, decent bag appeal. finished surprisingly quick indoors.

the only problem with the mg outdoors is that it is late indicating while other strains are already in flower mode. mg od might be a late finisher. indoors she was fairly quick at 11.5/12.5.

from early test results i consider malawi gold from soa to be the best puro strain i've smoked. ace's mt dominate golden tiger 2011 was also so awesome after 6 month cure. soa mg no cure.

i'm going out on a limb with limited experience (indoor test run for early appraisals, clones, seeds). i wouldn't do that unless i really deeply felt this way about this keeper breeder lady.

so, the only downside might be excessively late finishing window for shorter season regions.

Hi Idiit,

Just curious did you mean 11.5-12.5 weeks inside flower time on the MG or was that your light schedule?

I ran a pack of SOA MG this year...brought one inside on 7.22.14, rest are outside.

All were started same time but the one that has been inside my flower tent since july has the densest fattest buds and that plant is really looking like it's close to being done IMO. I was expecting closer to 16 weeks and I'm at about 11.
The ones outside are no where near as close to being done of course.

idiit

Veteran
^ the 11.5/12.5 is light schedule indoors run.

my soa zamal/mg gals are several weeks ahead of the pure soa zamal and pure soa mg.

i'm thinking that mg is fast finishing once onset of flowering has occurred. the problem od is that mg is very late for the onset of flowering to happen.

the male i used in my mg hybrids from early sampling does not appear to be as strong as his sister that i was so impressed with. still early, too early to know for sure. i'm really looking forward to smoking fully mature mg female breeder/keeper i call mandingo (ms. mandingo). :)

idiit

Veteran
i'm an od grower and did not keep indoor times. she's pretty fast for a landrace sativa under the 11.5/12.5. i would grow mg soa indoors if i wasn't an od grower. i was very impressed smoke wise with my indoor run for testing, clones, seeds, pollen. i was so impressed that mandingo might be the best pheno i've ever had the pleasure of running. this is why i'm so interested in her performance outside. i just might have my personal grail. i'm also testing her brother out for soa mg hybrid potential.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
How consistent are these Malawi smell/aroma-wise? The reason I ask, would it be sufficient to run just a few ones to get a general impression in this regard?

idiit

Veteran
from my limited experience to date the malawi gold was consistent. the durban and zamal extreme sativas needed two packs to find keepers.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Thanks Idiit!
Although, I'm less about finding keepers than getting a general impression if I like the variety or not (and flavour is key) ;) . Should I like it, I'd get more seeds to find some plants which also grow well etc.

idiit

Veteran
picture.php

^ zamal soa.

picture.php

^^ zamal soa/malawi gold soa.

the pure soa mg has lots of flowering time left until she's done. the zamal soa has at least 2-3 weeks left. the hybrid has only one week left. this is why i think the malawi gold is a fast finishing strain once she starts to flower out. indoors under 11.5/12.5 photo period soa mg performed very well, finished pretty fast for a landrace sativa and the potency and psychoactivity with no cure time was the best of any strain i've grown. tasted like pineapple.

kokomarin

but zamal&malawi is very near to harvest?
Pure zamal need week or two?
Very intresting for me is your work,idiit.
This is my first post, thank you.
I am 43years old,from croatia,
African sativa is the best medicine for me.
I have randoom cross canabis plant sativa dom and need three weeks or more to finish.
I must find a way how to get seeds from soa to me.

supervince

hi idiit,

I have a question for you:

I cut my malawi gold on 11/15. I lightly seeded this plant back in late july/early august.
Drying took 4 days, they have been in jars ever since. I sampled at 7 days and a couple times since and while I notice a taste change, I have to say the buzz is not really there. This is my first time growing a sativa, it's not what I expected.
Did I get a weak pheno? Did I screw it up? (btw, i cut a 1/3 of it at 15 weeks, the rest at 16)
Or does a sativa require a long cure...say 4 months or so? Is it likely to get better?
I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

idiit

Veteran
^ no. my soa mg female keeper could not even be lightly seeded-up until early oct. due to late onset of flowering.

my indoor soa mg was super powerful as soon as it was dry. these are pretty obviously field selected unworked strains from soa. my selected male and female have both proven their worth so far. it appears you did not get a keeper pheno first go around. my od clones from my killer indoor pheno had to be taken at aprox. 11/15 also due to that hard core artic air that hit north america at this time. temps here went down into the teens. she could have used another couple of weeks.

the od results were not as good as the indoor results off the same plant. she is powerful but i don't hear that little voice crying out that i've overdosed (one bowl :) ) like i did on the several nights i smoked the indoor. od clones grown in three separate locations and all plants were very healthy.

the soa mg seems to need very strong light to produce good results. the light here after the first of november is not strong.

i still have the clone from the killer female. i'm going to cross her with some different dank strains (sshz, white lotus ) and definitely run her again od 2015. the hybrids i grew from my keeper soa mg male ( zamal pheno fom zamaldelica and zamal female sativa from soa) were very very nice and came in earlier than either parents run od.

i don't know but it appears right now from my limited experience with soa mg that it needs to be triggered into flowering earlier so it can finish under a hot sun. once it is triggered into flowering she finishes a little quicker than many landrace sativas. the way to trigger her into flowering earlier is to cross her with some earlier flowering strains.

i'm flowering out one indoor soa mg female keeper clone now. i'll smoke her again to ensure i'm not posting incorrect info on her tremendous potency and high effects ( super potent, super trippy).

i came the closest i've ever been to getting busted in one of my od gardens and took down all pics since i had posted pics online without scrubbing for gps locations of the hot garden. that hot garden was extremely well hidden from the ground.

kokomarin

Early veg potency test you miss to do?
if you run landrace,must have early test.
hard to belive for malawi but is very posible
to have weak pheno in any landrace,imo.

idiit

Veteran
Early veg potency test you miss to do?

the soa mg leaf wasn't nearly as potent as something like png (papua new guinea) leaf. my tests were done on bud indoors and od. with the huge demand for concentrates leaf potency might actually become important.

supervince

Hey, thanks. That was the conclusion I didn't want to admit to.
Out of the 10 pack, 7 popped and 5 were female. #4 and 5 got cut on about 11/15 od as well due to that vortex. they needed weeks for sure. I haven't sampled them yet but they just smell not ripe. Plus i have no clone of them. #3 and #1 I have cloned and #3 is the one I was talking about that i harvested indoor. #2 and #1 were ripped off :( No clone of #2 either.
I will grow out #1 indoor and see if I'm lucky.

idiit

Veteran
^ might surprise you and actually be good smoke. i found no cure necessary on mine. try a bud out and report back. think concentrates. i'm taking most of my od harvest and turning it into full melt wax using 99% iso. full melt wax is "the shit". we are using omicron 2.5 potable pen vapes. http://www.w9tech.com/vape-pen-kiss-cartridge/ sells pens and carts for cheap (buy 10 kiss carts at a time for price break).

idiit

Veteran
picture.php

outdoor 2015 soa mg bud harvested 11/15 due to hard hard freeze coming in that night. really needed to start flowering earlier. even 2 weeks more under weak late november sun might not have done the job.

i'll put mg clones out late april this year. put out late may/early june last year.

this bud was not as potent as my indoor original run of this pheno.starting testing early bud done indoors (same pheno/clone) tonight to verify my original impressions of the power and psychoactivity of this strain. no cure time necessary (potency/psychoactivity) from original indoor test results.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Woohoo!
I've been Itching hardcore for some updates, buddy

Glad to see your OD mg. Wow, a December pheno of MG... that tickles my landrace fancy
Sorry you had to pull early though. She looks pretty for an unworked field-picked strain.

I'm uber excited to see how your crosses worked out. Especially the Zamal #2 x Zamdelica, Zamal #2 x mg, Durban #2 x mg, mg x mg.... lol should I just list them all hahahaha

Latest posts

Latest posts